PDA

View Full Version : Harness or Hang on?

MadMat
10-19-2001, 07:34 PM
I do my boating in the sea and we get some pretty rough stuff sometimes, so I've beein thinking about 6 point harnesses as I don't want to be thrown out. I can't decided whether I think a harness is a good idea (Securely strapped in, not going to get thrown out), or a bad idea (If the boat turns over then it's bye bye time) It goes without saying that I wear a PFD and kill switch.

Tony Brucato
10-19-2001, 07:42 PM
I think just a good Lifeline jacket and kill switch would be safer.
If ejected you could swim to your dead boat. Being tethered to your boat during a high speed mishap could be dangerous.

Bruce Washburn
10-19-2001, 08:17 PM
If you were strapped in a safety capsule and had some sort of canopy that would be the way to go. Being strapped in with no protection/ capsule canopy etc. is a good way to get hurt bad. The force of the water alone could do some major damage to your neck and head.
If you were stapped in a capsule with a good canopy and air system you would be able to drive the boat better and would in my opinion be alot safer.

Tony Brucato
10-19-2001, 08:24 PM
A safety capsule without a trained rescue crew nearby can be deadly as well.
An air system doesn't last long, and if you're knocked out or injured you might not escape.

Gordie Miller
10-19-2001, 09:45 PM
MadMat, I don't know your situation-i.e., boat, water conditions(other than you state rough), but I will say this "to be rescued, first you have to be alive". You need to determine what poses a graeter risk to you, impact-which a well designed and built capsule will protect you from, or drowning if somehow you become trapped. It sounds to me like you should ask the offshore guys. Without knowing your type of boat or water conditions you run in, it's hard for us to give good advice. Let us know some more details. Maybe we can help. There are quite a few of us on this board who would NOT be on this board if it were not for capsules. Respectfully Gordie Miller

Techno
10-20-2001, 01:30 PM
This is my uncalibrated opinion.
No harness but some positive method for holding your self in.
If your sitting then foot rests so you can jam your self in.
If your standing something like a toe hook or hold and seat bolsters that restrain you so your arms hold you in without getting in the way of steering. The idea in both cases is to help you hold yourself in and not make it so you can't be thrown out.
If you do get thrown out then it was probably time to leave. Getting thrown clear would be nicer than getting thrown too late.
This should teach you not to do that again!

MadMat
10-21-2001, 04:02 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
The boat is a 19' V Hull with a Merc XR2 on the back.
I already have a pair of good bucket seats going in this winter and they have harness mount holes in, which is what made me wonder about putting harnesses in too. But after thinking about it and reading your responses I think it would not be worth doing. The new seats hopefully solve most of the problem, the current seats don't hold me in at all well.
Techno, I like your idea about the footrests, I think I will do that too.
Thanks
Matt

B.Leonard
10-22-2001, 02:07 PM
I've been running my Lund in some rough stuff in Tampa Bay lately. Mix a moderate chop (anything rougher is a storm) and some wakes from traffic and getting the top speed on your boat is one helluva ride!

It reminds me of riding a dirt bike, if you don't stay on the pegs and off the seat, you will be ejected.

Which brings to mind an idea;

Why not mount the throttle on a solid fixed mount with a twist-like grip throttle like a motorcycle uses? Hot foot is out of the question since you're partially standing.

Mounting it this way would allow you to hold on with the throttle and the steering wheel. This way, you may be bounced so hard your feet are flapping in the wind but at least you have something to hold onto.

Then I would mount the trim and tabs so they could be reached by my right thumb. Besides, to me WOT is a natural right hand twist from by bike days. ;)

-BL

MadMat
10-22-2001, 02:36 PM
Hmmm, then just replace the outboard with a jet and you've got a PWC
:D
Only kidding, but on a serious note do you think that would be even more risky? On a foot throttle, if you 'leave' the seat but not the boat it's gonna close the throttle, but with a twist grip throttle hanging on tighter would potentially just wind on more throttle.
My experience of bikes is road bikes only, and certainly if I'm not in the seat, then I especially don't want to be anywhere near the bike cos it's gonna crash. Trouble is it's a bit late by then to realise staying at home and watching TV was the thing to be doing. :eek:

Gordie Miller
10-22-2001, 08:47 PM
Hey MadMat, look into a dead man's throttle. Don't let the name mislead you, it may be just the trick for your application. They are used by all the kneel down boats where being thrown from the boat is common. Gordie Miller

B.Leonard
10-23-2001, 08:17 AM
Dead man's throttle, getting thrown from the boat often....hmmmmmmm :) Might be just what I'm looking for, hehehehe! :) I'll see what I can find.

Mat, you're right, that is the impression you get when you look at a bike throttle... this will never work. But it does. You get used to it real quick. There is nothing that knocks you around more and is more wheelie prone than a hot 250cc dirt bike on a real coarse or trail and yet it works perfect there. You do have to stay off the seat though. The minute you sit down, you're done, you'll get thrown off in a second (if you're running hard).

-BL

Instigator
11-17-2001, 08:11 AM
Matt, my feelings are pretty basic about this one.
If there's not a safety boat with rescue divers following me, there'e no freakin way your strapping me in a boat!!
If you watch any of the Offshore races on T.V. almost all of the factory class boats run w/o being strapped in.
As you know, I run my Sonic in the rough a lot too.
No way, you'd strap my ass in the boat!!
If you are installing good fitting, wrap around seats, that should help a lot.
My Sonic has very "snug" fitting drop down bolsters in it.
I always drive standing up, and my first mate always runs sitting down.
She has two garb handles to hold on to (that she uses) and I installed a foot rest for her also. That helpded a bunch!!
If you wear a good racing vest in the rough, they have a fair amount of padding for imapct protection also.
Usually, but not always, the boat will throw you clear in an accident (assuming its just your boat), but the important thing is having your kill switch hooked to your vest so the boat shuts down.
As Gordie said, I too used to run the small kneel down boats with the "dead mans throttle" in them.
Been spit out of them many times, and always (knock on wood) thrown clear.
The scarry thing about getting in trouble in a boat like yours is what you hit on the way out of the boat!!
We used to spend some time being very carefull to remove/move anything that could get in our way durring an ejection.
I looked into doing some amature Offshore racing with my boat and found out its a requirement to have kill tethers hooked to both of you and to wrap the windshield frame with pipe insulation if it is medal.
Both good ideas.
Good luck, and let me know how the plate works.
Assuming you're probable bolting it on right now??
Instigator

MadMat
11-17-2001, 12:35 PM
Yep, put it on this morning. :D
Took it to the coast for a go - major improvement, came back in with a huge grin on my face. Raised the engine about 2-3 inches so it's still about 2" below, haven't played about with the height yet. Handling is totally transformed and top speed is now limited by the prop. Managed to get an indicated 63mph and climbing, but the rev counter was pegged out way beyond 6000rpm. I'm hopeful that a new prop will make a significant improvment, although I'm unsure whether to go with a 24" or 26" chopper as the next step (Currently 21" laser II). I'll probably go with the 26. Before doing that anyway I need to get the other gear up to spec. (Steering, Throttle etc in order to keep things safe)
All I can say is thanks, you've made an Englishman very happy.
M.

B.Leonard
11-17-2001, 01:04 PM
I started with the motor 2-3" too low. Man the handling was scary! Boat was incredibly unstable feeling, and that was only at 45-50mph!

As I jacked the plate up it really smoothed out but doesn't feel as "aired out". That makes sense though since the motor is much further out of the water.

I just picked up a 27" shooter, time to shift into high gear! :D

-BL

MadMat
11-17-2001, 02:15 PM
I was tempted to jack the engine all the way just to see what happened as it already has low water pickups, but went for a conservative approach because I didn't want to let the rpms run away too much. Instigator reckons I need even more setback so I will definately try that too. One step at a time though, I've probably had all the excitement I can handle in one day!

Instigator
11-17-2001, 05:05 PM
Glad it did what we thought it would, and gave you a big ass **** eattin grin too!!
Your boat will love a Chopper.
If you wer'nt so damn far away I'd send you one of my 24's.

tabararacing
12-09-2001, 12:18 AM
I personally wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for a safety capsule. I blew over in a 120 at full speed. I believe if i would have been in a non capsule boat where I wasn't strapped in my injuries would have been FAR worse. Someone who gets into a boat without training on getting out is crazy. Its worth the time to go visit a APBA racing saftey seminar. Often times the admission is free. THey got divers all around they put you in a capsule and flip you and you get out. And Repeat until you feel you are good to go. Gordie however is Correct. Whats more improtant? Being alive after impact or worrying getting out.

Also Remember Canopies do help a little bit, but that doesn't stop the water from rushing in, most the time the canopies are gone!
Thats just my 2 cents worth.
Brian Tabara
Tabara Racing