PDA

View Full Version : Nice GTO shot

sms
03-31-2004, 03:34 PM

Clyde
03-31-2004, 07:21 PM
Yea, too bad they messed up the photo with that secretary's car in the background;)

LaserModVee
03-31-2004, 07:46 PM
I like the new GTO.

350 horse, rear wheel drive, 6 speed manual transmission in a non-f body sleeper sedan works for me.

Sure beats the hell out of any typical front wheel drive the big three have been stamping out the past two decades.

I know it looks just like the Gran Prix. But who cares? Go fast first, look pretty later.

Now lets hope the Monte Carlo, Impala, Malibu, and all of the other sorry siblings of those that were great many moons ago will make a rear wheel drive comeback.

Clyde
03-31-2004, 10:10 PM
I couldn't agree more about the drivetrain, I'm just having a problem with the body. It needs to look more aggressive. Sleepers are cool, but I just can't get into how this thing looks.:cool:

81hydrostream
03-31-2004, 10:17 PM
I like the new one but I would rather have a nice 68 goat.

Raceman
03-31-2004, 10:29 PM
I agree on the new GTO. I went and looked at it on a local dealer's showroom and it looks like some kinda Jap Crap to me. It just proves that the car biz has too damn many college boy/bean counters that don't know **** or giva **** about cars. When the damn thing doesn't sell because of the BS styling, in their infinite wisdom they'll decide there's just no market for it and replace it with some 4 cyl FWD POS again. It's hard to imagine what in the hell they're thinkin' when they kill the Camaro/Firebird because they need more SUV capacity in those plants (that's after they raised the price on em til they were nowhere near competitive with the Mustang Cobra), then come up with the new GTO. Why didn't they just ship the tooling overseas where they're building the GTO and continue to build the Firebird/Camaro 5K less??????????

I wish I could hit a big enough lottery to buy a huge share of GM stock and fire some of these "new generation" auto industrialists and put somebody in there that doesn't have their head in their ass.

sms
04-09-2004, 08:56 AM
I wonder how Raceman really feels about the new one?
I don't care for the body style much, BUT, the car is true to it's heritage. The first goats were big power drivetrains in the Tempest family car wrapper. Kinda the same deal here.

My '02 Yukon is in the dealers shop for new pistons, (I finally convinced them that my cold piston slap noise is not normal) and I told the guy I'll take a GTO for the weekend. He got a pretty good laugh out of that, probably because they know I'd do this:
www.ls1gto.com/movies/BMRGTO.wmv

Liqui-Fly
04-16-2004, 02:27 PM
That dude was sleeping

tripledude
04-16-2004, 02:58 PM
SMS,, That's kinda like when Car & Driver got their loaner GTO from Pontiac a couple of months ago for testing. Pontiac specifically told them NOT to take it out of California. In their historic fashion, C&D immediately drove over to Nevada and competed in high speed runs out in the desert. Think they did 157. Fly is right. The guy in the video REALLY slept at the "tree."

sms
04-16-2004, 03:09 PM
I've been to the Pontiac dealership about 5 times this week keeping track of my Yukon, every time there I saw guys sitting in the GTO acting like they're driving, but NOT gettin to take 'em out!

As far as the video....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(actually I don't think he really cared about the light, just running for time, but funny nevertheless)

tripledude
04-16-2004, 03:16 PM
I have yet to see one on the street. At the Chicago new car show, there sure weren't any crowds around them. Looking forward to running one with my 68.:D

tripledude
04-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Just got my new High Perf Pontiac magazine. They flogged a new GTO and on the same day a new Mach 1 was being tested. Best run for the GTO was 13.52@105mph. The Mustang was 13.47@103mph. They said the GTO needed tires as it was hard to launch (with 6-speed). I have to agree with some people that the looks are kinda "muted." I have to give Pontiac credit, however, for never using the GTO badge on some dog like a variation on the Citation. Remember the K-car Roadrunner??

MirageSmack
04-18-2004, 11:08 PM
1973 Leman Body (Can Am style with Collonade window)
1974 Ventura Body

Actually the '73 has been growing on me lately. As far as the new ones are concerned, I really think Pontiac could have tried a little harder. This car has been made for years in Australie (Holden Manero). Hell, they could have at least added scoops or something. Performance wise, it is only slightly faster than the Dodge Neon SRT4.

I have been a Pontiac man my whole life, but they and GM have been asleep at the wheel too long. Like Raceman said, they could really do something special with the Firebird and Camaro concept. Ford on the other hand has done a brilliant job with re styling older models. Smack

Kavalk
04-18-2004, 11:26 PM
The 1974 was even worse! Huge and sloppy.

MirageSmack
04-19-2004, 12:57 PM
tucked neatly under the '73

Talon2.5
04-24-2004, 12:57 AM
i did the zip code on the get a quote........540 something a month payments :eek: :eek: holy sheot!!