PDA

View Full Version : Great New Forum

Flat Out
10-19-2001, 09:09 AM
Safety should always be a priority. Safe boating tips.

1 Lifejackets, wear 'em. Hemets are a good idea too.
2 Kill switch, hook it up
3 Foot throttle, trim on the wheel, if you don't have these,add them
4 Good quality steering and rigging. If you are not sure have them checked by a qualified technican.
5 Keep a safe distance from other boats.
6 Look ahead and around you.
7 Know the waterway and the surrounding area, have charts with you. Ask the locals,they know best.
8 If you are not sure of something DON'T DO IT.
9 Respect other boaters and cottagers. Nobody likes an inconsiderate boater.
10 Always help boaters in distress. You never know when you will need help.
11 Know and respect YOUR LIMITS and the LIMITS OF YOUR BOAT.
12 DON'T DRINK AND BOAT never, never!
Have fun and play safe.
I'm sure there are many more safety tips, so lets hear them.

Techno
10-20-2001, 01:23 PM
One thing that doesn't seem safety related is making sure other people who normaly ride with you know how to drive a boat or your boat if it has something special about it.
They are so simple to drive that anyone can at least start it and put it in gear. But how many people are shown how to do this simple thing?
Something bad happens to you and there is not any chance of starting it if the person dosn't know about the kill switch. Accidents do happen and they aren't restricted to the times under power.
If i was hurt or unconcious I would rather get back to shore on plane than idling, and immediatly rather than waiting for help.

A few bandaids or electrical tape is nice too, so you don't get blood all over the carpet or paint.
A pre-boating check-out is good, bolts and hull for cracks

A safety study found that most people who hurt themselves while doing something had a feeling something was wrong just before they injured themselves. This could include mundane things like trimming the engine back in, changing the your hand postion before removing the prop. Trust that feeling it usually is right.