PDA

View Full Version : Stereo wire harness?

dkwestern
03-29-2004, 01:41 PM
I am planning on replacing my old cassette deck with a new MP3/CD player. My question is what harness do I get? When I do cars i just tell the audio store what kind of car it is going in and they give me the right harness. Is there a standard harness that is used in boats? I am guessing the cassette and CD will need different hookups but maybe it will use the same one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Darren

Techno
03-29-2004, 03:58 PM
The harness of which you speak is for fords, chevys - so on. Since your boat was rigged? it will have whatever harness that the radio came with. That is if it has a "harness"
Your new one may or may not have one. Depends on what it is and most importantly what the rest of your system is.

Most likely its a simple swap. Genericly. You have switched power, full time power (memory and clock) power antennae. Ground.

Then the wires for speakers- high level, and the wires for amps-low level, if its equipped for driving an amp. If your head unit can also control a CD changer it will have that connector too.
If you don't have a changer and no amps then only the speaker wires will matter. The rest are left hanging.

If the wiring diagram that comes with the radio and your existing stuff don't make sense you could probably haul it to a stereo install shop. I doubt it would take them long to finish it.

dkwestern
03-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks Techno, I haven't dove far enough into it to look at my current wiring. But that sounds pretty basic. If I have 3 sets of preamp outputs on my new head unit, will I still need the level wires for amps?

Other than that I can handle 2 powers, and a ground. All of my speakers will be run off of amps, so the speaker wires are a cake walk as well. Thanks, Darren