PDA

View Full Version : L.E.D trailer lights?

Mark75H
03-27-2004, 04:32 PM
Anyone converted their trailer lights to leds yet?

I was poking around and found what will be the next big thing in trailers .... wireless signalling from the tow pig to the trailer ... COOL! Wish I had an excuse (and the budget) to rig mine that way now ...:rolleyes:

chynewalkr
03-27-2004, 04:44 PM
I converted mine over on my last boat trailer and the new one, and i couldnt be happier, no more loose corroded bulbs+ they are really bright and light up instantly.

Psyco
04-27-2004, 11:15 PM
They are selling like hotcakes outta our store. We sell Optronics brand. PM me if ya need sum.

Ray Neudecker
04-28-2004, 08:35 AM
Converted the clearance lights on the motor home to LED's and have been very happy with the results. No more climbing on top and trying to keep bubs going or fighting corrosion. Also much brighter.

Triple J
11-27-2004, 11:18 AM
guys, I worka a parts store that sells the led lights and everybody we have sold them to really likes them.The biggest benefit is that they draw very little current so your wiring doesn't corrode like it used to. That means you can used lighter guage wire and have better flexiblity and longer life,because we all like futzing with our lights just before we are going to the lake or river.

chynewalkr
11-27-2004, 11:45 AM
update
ive had mine on for 9 months now and not 1 problem.

another trick i do with trailer lights and wiring is to weld 3 stainless bolts to the frame, 1 in the front for the harness and 2 in the back for the light grounds. they dont rust like the supplied screws do and i never have to wiggle any wires

Techno
11-27-2004, 12:47 PM
I made mine. Sunk 20 LEDs in a block of plexi. If you do make your own figure the resistance for 14 volts not 12 volts.
5 Leds per resistor.
For some odd reason had to add a diode to the right light. Otherwise it came on too during signaling.

1BadAction
11-27-2004, 01:36 PM
They come stock in my car for turn signal, brake, and reverse... I also put them in my gramps's boat trailer after we did the restoration on that. LEDs are some bright MO-fos! another thing is you dont have to worry about hauling the boat with the hot bulbs, and have them blow as soon as they hit the water.

Bruster
11-27-2004, 01:45 PM
I installed LED's on my last trailer job. I got the lights from West Marine and they look 10. The only problem is they are not D.O.T. approved, and they do not have reflectors built in. I installed reflective safety tape and you can see the trailer from the next county at night. The tape was probably a good idea any way.

LED LIGHTS (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&classNum=1&subdeptNum=&storeNum=&productId=143669)