PDA

View Full Version : need help replacing trailer bunks with boat on trailer.

imq707s
03-22-2004, 09:23 PM
I just bought an 89' Vegas and there are a few trailer bunk boards that need to be replaced. I was wondering if I can do this without towing the boat all the way down to the lake and getting the boat in the water and off of the trailer. Is there any way I can easily lift one side of the boat off of the trailer, replace the boards and then do the other side?

Balzy
03-22-2004, 11:08 PM
with my HST. I cut a 4 x 4 about 3 feet long and notched it to match the angle of the outer sponson. Lifted it with a floor jack one side at a time and replaced the bunks that way. If you have an XT or a YT that will work just fine. If you have a Vegas straight V-bottom my idea won't work.

pyro
03-23-2004, 07:25 AM
I replaced mine with the boat off the trailer. When I took off the old ones, they leterally fell apart. The bolts holding them on were so rusted that they no longer had a threaded shape. It's a real pain in the ass because the long inner bunks are "bowed" and into the shape of the boat. I had to have someone sit on the 2X6 bunk to load it while I fastened it from underneath! Mine also has short 2X4 bunks for the sponsons, these are a bit easier. It turns out that they're not perfectly the same thickness as the old ones, and the sponsons aren't bearing any weight on them now. Once the boat is in the water, I plan to take them off and re-install them with some shim plates washers or washers to raise them.

USE MONEL STAPLES AND STAINLESS STEEL SCREWS OR BOLTS !!

I also replaced the carpeted step boards on mine.
I don't have a photo of the trailer anywhere.