PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank questions!!!

Jeff "Yammer"
05-06-2001, 08:31 PM
Your advice is needed!!!!

I am going to install an inboard fuel tank/cell
in my V-king. I am going to mount the tank/cell in
the rear-center of the floor.
My concern is Plastic vs Metal.
Baffled vs Non-baffled.
Is the sloshing of a half full 18-20gal fuel
tank going to be a problem or noticeable driving
corrections etc....etc.
Is pastic better etc.....etc.
And of coarse MONEY is a bit of a factor but
not much!!

Thank you to all who can give insite!!

Jeff.

Techno
05-06-2001, 09:52 PM
I recently bought a plastic tank because the aluminum will eventually rot! I found several sources on this and they all said the same, aluminum will corrode, some people put in thicker aluminum only so that it takes longer until a replacement.
Now the reason is the aluminum is usually installed incorectly. It has to be well drained and not in contact with anything except the restraints. Supported so some air can get underneath. I'm sure that one would last a very long time in the type of boats we run but I didn't see an advantage to aluminum.
The installation instruction on my plastic tank said not to mount it solidly until after filling it. the plastic will expand. I have plenty of room around mine but I almost bought one that fit the space precisely.
I think gas weighs about 6lbs./gallon so 60 lbs shifts less than a foot maybe.

For my installation I didn't pay enough attention to the fill location. The fuel fill had to be removed and the tank put in place with the 6" of hose already on, then the fill spout re-nstalled and bolted on. The neck of the tank and the fuel fill almost touch. Putting this tank in my STV has turned out to be a major re-pain in the butt-rig. I would still do again though.
Check the tank on Euroskis boat I didn't see any like this when I shopped but it may be an advantage for you. http://www.microconnect.net/~pcpower/images/MVC-304F.JPG

[Edited by Techno on 05-06-2001 at 10:01 PM]

Jay Smith
05-07-2001, 12:33 AM
Jeff ,
Try JAZ out of Cal. they have all sizes and come with knock outs in the bottom and also foam to stop sloshing. Also come in clear ( opake ) where you can always see your fuel level most of the drag race car and boat guys use them with good sucess!

Jay @ JSRE

MTCM
05-07-2001, 08:47 PM
Jeff,

All good advice here. Aluminum or plastic your choice. I have an aluminum tank (19 gallon). It has been there for 14 years. No signs of corrosion/deterioration. Not very pretty though. I pulled mine out this year, scuffed it with a "greenie-pad", generously primed it and painted with some good paint. It now looks custom. As Techno said watch out for the fuel fill location and clearance. I also have to put the hose on the tank then attach the fuel fill thru the hull to the hose then bolt it all down. It can be tight back there. Don't forget about a tank vent/overflow line and how you are going route that. Mine has a seperate vent hose that attaches to a thru-hull fitting into the splash well. Some of the new fuel fills have vents built in, some don't. If you are going to put in the back under the splash well, just be careful that you do not push it back to far so you do not block any drain holes/openings to the transom drain. I almost forgot, the boat is a V-King YT.

MTCM