PDA

View Full Version : Drag Rules and the Tuner

Wile E. Coyote
03-13-2004, 07:46 PM
A question that has been bugging me:
If its (almost) universally accepted that an exhaust tuner is of little or no benefit to a outboard engine, then why do almost all the class rules mandate a stock tuner?

1BadAction
03-13-2004, 07:54 PM
cause they want to be a pain in the ass!

Rickracer
03-14-2004, 08:14 AM
Maybe to keep newbies from having to go out and buy the latest trick new one "to be competitive"? Just taking a guess here, could be one reason. :cool:

6Killer
03-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Rickracer
Maybe to keep newbies from having to go out and buy the latest trick new one "to be competitive"? Just taking a guess here, could be one reason. :cool:

Bingo!

Wile E. Coyote
03-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Maybe to keep newbies from having to go out and buy the latest trick new one "to be competitive"? Just taking a guess here, could be one reason.

Yeah, but to be real, even $100.00 spent on top of the already 10-50K spent by a racer is a drop in the bucket....in most of the race classes there is a SIGNIFICANT amount of "tweaking" done to get the most out of your combination, sometimes money has little to do with return, seems to me a tuner would be a realatively small investment....besides back to the basic premis that a tuner dont really help that much....seems to me a stock tuner cost more than a aftermarket one....

My basic point is this...if I were to enter my rig in competition, I would have to split the powerhead, replace the tuner.....It is basically the only bolt on mod I have and it came with the motor....IF I bolted on a "stock" tuner, I would still port match it and grind the piss out of it to boot. The rules say stock tuner, dont say you cant grind one up does it?

At anyrate the next time I have to remove the P/H I will change to a stock tuner.

Im not trying to change the world or even be a pain in the ass....It just seems to me the reasons are lacking.....

W. Tripp
03-14-2004, 10:42 AM
For several of the ODBA classes, the rules mandate a stock tuner. BUT modifications are allowed - even in Super Stock. The reasoning is to keep costs down. And honestly, many aftermarket tuners do NOT accelerate a boat better than a modified stock part.

With proper mods, a stock tuner and adapter plate can do exactly what you want.

I hope this helps,

Jay Smith
03-29-2004, 07:37 AM
Tuners and adapters can be modified in most all classes as long as the basic tuner is OEM to start with. The stock OEM tuner and tuner adapter can be drystacked, blended, cut, split, welded, shortened , drilled, etc....the powerband can be moved by these mods if done correctly.