PDA

View Full Version : KENWOOD (old stuff help)

wing nut
03-10-2004, 11:19 PM
hey guys,

this is kinda weird here.. my dad just tells me hes got some old kenwood speakers. they are

-2 6" round speakers kfc-1671 (c-1671)
-2 #3 1/2" round, dual cone front dash speakers kfc-830G (c-830g)

can anyone tell me if these things are good or a pile of junk? im going to replace me stock interier speakers (mod. them to fit) my 93' blazer.

thanks,
scott

bulldogdaddy
03-11-2004, 06:42 AM
i had old seprate speakers from kenwood back in 86,were great
you could always try them before you go to install them

pyro
03-11-2004, 07:21 AM
If they have separate tweeters, then give 'em a shot. "dual cone" usually means "whizzer cone", an early substitute for a real tweeter. The shape of the car's interior, where they're mounted, and your head unit probably will affect the sound more than the speakers, as long as they're not so old that they're lousy. If you end up not liking them, check Ebay, people sell pairs of newer speakers real cheap there all the time.

sho305
03-12-2004, 12:29 AM
I used a lot of them at one time. I didn't like them for my stuff only sometimes, because they tend to have a lot of treble; they are bright. Good if you like that or have to mount them under a dash or something that blocks them. If they work ok run them...if you like them, its a matter of opinion. Many speakers die with age, so try them first. I'll use whatever works. I had a nice home tweeter I was buying from radio shack once until they stopped selling them. Put about 10 sets of them in cars;) I also like to put those foam cups/baffles behind those small speakers, they seem to work better.

bulldogdaddy
03-12-2004, 07:30 AM
your right about the highs!i had a 200watt amp for the 2-1o's and a 100watt for the 6in and tweeter,electronic crossover eq. man the highs would hurt your ears

sho305
03-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Another reason I like soft dome tweeters much better. Not near as sharp to the ear. The speakers closest to you, the front mid/highs, should be the best. In a car anyway. Boston Acoustics made some real nice 1" soft domes. I have a Kenwood tweeter/4" separates set, but I have never used them. I bet they are real bright and might work ok in a boat...but they don't look real moisture proof unfortunately.