PDA

View Full Version : Helmet .... suggestions?

hydro-addiction
03-09-2004, 12:14 AM
This will be my first season in odba and was wondering what helmet to purchase. Any input would be appreciated. I would like to know what some of you guys use.

CDave
03-09-2004, 09:23 AM
I have a Shoei RF900. I bought from this place, http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm1/helmets-table.htm

Jeff_G
03-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Helmet prices and quality are all over the place from cheap junk to big dollar good quality.
Look for DOT, Snell certification. You will usually pay more for more recent certification but that doesn't mean the helmet would not meet current certification just it wasn't submitted to the new certification.
Another extremely important consideration is fit. I have had some expensive helmets that never fit right. The helmet should be very snug but without giving you any pain or cutting off circulation. If it is very comfortable the first time you put it on it is probably too big. You can also "shim" a little with some dense foam inside the head band.
I currently use a Hong Jin, HJ, helmet. I love the fit and it meets all certifications. You can find them at most motorcycle shops very reasonably priced.
If you are in a open boat with no restraints an open face may be the way you want to go.
Head restraints are a good idea too.

hydro-addiction
03-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Cdave and Jeff_G thanks for all the input, lots of cool helmets on that link and with the info provided by Jeff I should be able to find a cool helmet that is also safe and comfortable.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help someone just getting started!

Mark75H
03-12-2004, 11:04 PM
I bought a nice helmet on eBay and had enough left over for a custom paint job.

Mark75H
03-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Go farther than a DOT or simple Snell approval: Get a Snell approved helmet with an "M" rating. The year is not as important as the M, which means the helmet as been thru the motorcycle tests: heat, cold, wet, dry and possible gasoline spill .... all the things that you might find around a boat.

Mark75H
03-12-2004, 11:08 PM
The back:

Mark75H
03-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Oh, yeah .... this is a Bell Racestar III with the M-95 rating

W. Tripp
03-14-2004, 10:33 AM
I have several racing helmets from Bell and Simpson. I like the Super Bandit a lot. But my newest helmet is a Kevlar KBC VR-1.

They are light and allow the liner to be removed to be cleaned. Sitting out in the sun for a couple of hours can make a helmet smell BAD by the end of a racing season. They run a bit tighter than even the Shoei's, so order one size bigger than you might think.

I also like the prices at The Helmet Shop.

http://www.helmetshop.com/items.asp?CartID=6872617-ACCWARE-UMBKG950&cc=VR1&tpc=

David_L6
03-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Mark75H
I bought a nice helmet on eBay and had enough left over for a custom paint job.

Nice looking paint job Sam. :cool:

I'm kinda partial to this one though. Looks like T-REX has it on in this picture cause I can see his mug through the shield. :eek: