PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Rub Rails Clean up??

Hottrucks
03-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Ok all mighty ones please pass along your great wisdom on how to clean up my rub rails.

There the same Aluminum ones that we all have, mine have a bunch of scratches in it most aren't to bad I just want to find a way to clean them up, remove some of the scratches and make them look good or better.

Help!!!!!!!!!!
:(

Kavalk
03-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Yep, that's right!!
Old cut off end of a fibre optic cable.
6" chunk will do.
Remove outer covering. Tape it up with masking tape, start using it like a big pencil eraser.
Amazing.

There you go.

Techno
03-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Thats a great idea if you've got it laying around. If not it seems pretty expensive sand paper. 6" yikes:eek:
Oh you mean length.

I haven't tried this but it might work. Get something hard like a drill bit or screw driver and use it like a burnisher. The rub rails are a fairly soft kind of aluminum and might lay back down.
Figure someone can be the guinie pig for this:rolleyes:

Kavalk
03-07-2004, 11:49 AM
One of the local polishing shops usually has surplus pieces for abou $20.00.

Try surplus or scrap dealers.

Hottrucks
03-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Ok got the tenique but what makes it work ???

Do I need a pocket protector to go with it :confused: What the do I know about fibre optic I cann't even shut off my computer cause I have to get the neighbors kid to turn it back on. I haven't even logged off since 93
But big pencils and easers I do know about
also small buses

Hottrucks
03-07-2004, 05:54 PM
[SIZE=4]Duh?

Techno
03-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Maybe they mean someone who can't read but can write?:D

Rickracer
03-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Then following the instruction on the sign would require writing. ;)

Trikki1010
05-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Okay boys,

Here's the link to PPG Metal Conditioners. The DX 531 cleans like a bitch with a scrub pad. Should be cleared over.

The DX 501 actually does a good job and leaves a somewhat protective layer, better than RAW.

Actually works pretty good on the speedmaster too, especially those lovely exhaust stains;)

http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs/p-226.pdf