PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee or Grand Cherokee: Any good?

pyro
03-04-2004, 05:57 PM
I currently own a 98 Avenger ES and a 95 Lebaron GTC convertible. I plan to sell the ragtop and buy something bigger for towing, cargo, etc. I've been looking at something like a Durango, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.

What's good? What's bad?

The Lebaron will be $3500 /obo. 100K miles. The tow hitch has only been used for short trips to the launch and back.

eautosales
03-04-2004, 10:34 PM
cherokees are great 4.0l automatic the sticks had some problems

grand cherokees are also good with the 4.0 or 5.2 (318)
but the tranny on the grands are the weak link

pyro
03-05-2004, 08:54 AM
I thought I heard about some problems with their automatic 4X4 system used on the Grand Limited. Most of the Epinions write-ups were positive on both. No real engine or trans problems were mentioned.

Does the 4.0 really have enough balls all-around?

I drove a Durango with a V8 and liked the acceleration!

Boz
03-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Better have a lot of dough set aside for gas; they're complete pigs on fuel. I used to rent lots of vehicles through work and the Durango was one I'd had 4 or five times. Had the Jeep too.
I love the GC's.

baddjonny
03-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Is a pig on gas like most 4x4's average 15-18 mpg some of the suspension parts a little weak bigest problem parts are expensive and little things always seem to break handles levers switches etc .

I only paid $50 for mine bought at a sheriffs auction had 150 k ran good trany shifted good used it for a year and sold it for $450
it was a 2 door 87

$.02
jon b

eautosales
03-05-2004, 12:01 PM
the 4.0l is plenty of power i prefer the 4.0 & it will tow the average speed boat just fine if i was shoping for a jeep i prefer
the cherokee 4.0l due to reliability

eautosales
03-05-2004, 12:03 PM
due your self a favor go to a car lot and test drive a 4.0l cherokee
i think u will be shocked at the power it has :D

blkmtrfan
03-05-2004, 12:09 PM
I owned a 94 Grand Cherokee form 1997 to 2003 with the 4.0 and auto. I thought it was a great vehicle, best snow vehicle I have ever had. When it was time to replace it I drove just about every SUV out there and my favorite was the newer style grand, but because of the size of my family I got a 3-seat tahoe instead, BTW I really did not like the Durango, fit and finish and overall ride was not up to the jeep and chevy standards (the brand new 2004 may be better). Our jeep was my wife’s car but I actually used it for towing quite a bit as well. At the time I had a 21’ walk around fish boat that weighed around 5000 lbs on the trailer. It didn’t have the greatest towing power but it always got us there (including several trips thou mountain passes) and pulled it out of any launch. Pulling you Vegas would be easy for it (I used to pull my Vegas with a 84 mini blazer with the weak 2.8 V6) . BTW the day I put a trailer hitch on the jeep, I also put a trans oil cooer on it, never had any trans problems. Good luck in your vehicle search.

pyro
03-05-2004, 03:03 PM
I'm leaning toward the Cherokee because of the $$$ factor. I can't afford a $12,000 vehicle right now. I'm going to test drive some Cherokees in the '96-'98 year range this Monday. Any issues with these?

From what I'm hearing, it will reliably tow, and get around in snow if we go up north with the sled. They're a little bit boxy-looking, and I've heard the comfort and road noise is lousy, but that's alright.

My fiance will be making short trips to work with it most of the time, so the gas mileage is not an issue. My Avenger ES gets about 28 MPG most of the time.

Any takers for the Lebaron? 3.0 V6, 4sp auto, goes like hell. A spoiled teenage daughter would love this... boat not included.

blkmtrfan
03-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by pyro
and I've heard the comfort and road noise is lousy, but that's alright.

I think the grand is nicer in this area than the durango, the 4.0 is a little noisy (valvetrain always seemd loud to me), but a very comfortable ride IMHO

baja200merk
03-05-2004, 03:47 PM
is balls!

cherrokee the box style with the 4.0ho is a great little truck plenty of power

Steven
03-05-2004, 04:36 PM
we have had two. the first was an 88, bought it used and had good luck with it. the 2nd was a cherokee sport with the h.o. 4.0. it had lots of power and was a really good rig. both 2wd. bought the sport new and i think they are good quality, not like the inbred pile of crap pontiac montana we have now. we just wanted more room with 2 kids. i wish there was about 1 foot added in the back seat area, its a little tight there.

MirageSmack
03-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I have a '88 Grand Wagoneer--aka The Woody! It has a 4" lift, 31" tires, full size rack up top, 360 ci with auto. Looks great--it's one of those Full Size Jeeps folks either love or hate. There is no in between. It has the aerodynamics of a building!

It is a dog on gas, and slow too. Maybe 10 mpg with a tailwind, and about 7 towing a boat. No cross country trips this summer I guess.

I love the thing though. One day, not soon, I'll post some pics in the tow rig section. I guess it truly is a Jeep thing!

mendo
03-05-2004, 05:10 PM
That straight 6 has lots of torque!! make sure you get the bigger one. Rubicon Express has lots of great suspension upgrade parts if you want to do that.

Mendo

TheJuicyClam
03-05-2004, 06:09 PM
The Durango is over rated, very over rated. I own a Grand Cherokee (1994) with the 5.2L(318) greatest car ever, except for the gas mileage. Any Jeep(or chrysler for that matter)needed to have the valve seals and piston rings replaced, since the vavle seals dry out after along time, they will lead you to having to add oil often. And the cost in parts is only 13 bucks for all the valve seals, but the labor will run you over a 1,000 since they have to pop up each valve with air. And the gas mileage is horrible. I get 6 mpg on average, and 10 on a really good day(highway it jumps up to about 15-18 mpg). But the power is there. Your best bet would be a 4.0(inline 6) with the Cherokee, the lighter body style will grant you access to the power. Get it in a stick if you can find it, but an automatic is good also. Just beware of the Chryler/Jeep Transmissions(only automatics)--they blow up easily. Along with Durango, if you can find a reasonably low mileage Cherokee with the 4.0(inline 6) and a rebuilt tranny, you have yourself a winner, just watch out for wheel well rust, shows that the car was not taken care of, if you have any more questions, send me a private message through this site. Hope I helped, Erik-CEO Juicy Clam Motorsports

eautosales
03-05-2004, 06:23 PM
i agree on the grand cherokee tranny problem the regular cherokee has a differnt tranny & they are pretty bullet proof
they dont normally go bad the grand cherokee tranny is a differnt story but trust me stay away from a cherokee stick
when that tranny goes & they do they are expensive if my memory serves me right the standard tranny is an import from pugeut or something
so in my opinion the best bang for the buck is a cherokee automatic all around well built and reliable & have no major issues

pyro
03-05-2004, 06:36 PM
So you're saying to stay away from the Chrysler/DCX-Jeeps? What year did they change over? I'm on a bit of a budget, but I want something new enough that I won't see rust during the next 5 or 6 years that I own it! I want something with no more than 70K original miles on it. Are you saying that the late 90's Cherokees have some trans issues? I was reading reviews on Epinions.com, and the only complaints I saw related to road noise and comfort.

My total towing weight: boat, motor, and trailer is probably around 2,000 lbs.

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming...

EDIT: EU, you wrote your post above mine while I was still typing mine. I already heard about the issues with the Grand's transmission. And on top of that, they're too expensive for me anyway.

So, any year of (not grand) Cherokee / 4.0 / auto is good, then?

-Chad

MirageSmack
03-05-2004, 07:04 PM
I know it was in 87, but I think leftover parts made it into 88's as well.

If you go to any Jeep BB, it gets into a Ford/Chevy argument. Some preferred the AMC vs the Chrysler, vice versa. I drive a 4.0 at work at the water company. I think it has plenty of power, and should pull 2000 lbs just fine. My work Jeep is a 98 I think on its 2nd trans, but we are very hard on them, driving from house to house reading meters. I hit Park while moving (slowly) several times a week trying to bust out the route. My Jeep is newer than some of the other fleet vehicles. It gets much better MPG than the older ones, early 90's model I beleive. Sorry I don't know the details, but they are just work trucks!

BTW, thanks for the compliment you gave me in the "Balls" thread. It is nice to know I'm not totally alone here!

TheJuicyClam
03-05-2004, 07:09 PM
The Cherokee is your best bet, you could pick up a 2000 Classic edition for around 12-13,000. You can find a nice one in the 1996-1998 range, and agreeing with EU, the automatic would be your best bet. Just test drive it first, and make sure you don't feel any slipping in the tranny, you want a clean crisp shift, a bit of a jerk is good, not too much though. The little kick you get it actually your transmission hitting the gear right away while leaving some of the torque out of the equation. If it is a real smooth tranistion, almost like you have no idea that it was shifting, that means that everything is worn out, the gears are taking too long to meet up and grab. And remember to check out the fluid on the tranny after it has ran for awhile, if the level seems too low, best bet is that the owner never really filled and checked it often, and you want the fluid to be a brighter red, not brown, if it is dark brown, the owner definetly hasn't taken care of the tranny. But for sure, a 1996-2000 Cherokee is your best bet. The earlier models you can find in the 3-10,000 dollar range, not too shaby. Agian, feel free to contact me with more questions, I am a Jeep lover, but will never steer someone in the wrong direction. (not too boast, but I know my stuff when it comes to Cherokee's and Grand Cherokee's)

eautosales
03-05-2004, 07:19 PM
any year cherokee is good they dont have a rust issue if you take pride in your ride keep clean waxed & touch up the paint chips & you should be good for many miles i had an 88 with 200k and its still running & i had a 1999. i like them all its my favorite sport utility ,its not the prettiest but will out last any explorer & less maint. than a blazer good luck in your search

zmoz
03-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Another vote for the cherokee here. I'm on my second with the 4.0, got 200,000 miles on my '96 and it still runs like the day it came home from the dealer. Keep the fluids clean and the 4.0 and AW4 automatic transmission will last longer than almost anything else. With a 2000lb boat you won't even know it's back there. You can definately get alot nicer used cherokee for the same money as a used grand cherokee, and the grands aren't known for their reliability. They tow better, but not for something as small as a speed boat. Also if the 4.0 isn't fast enough for you there's lots of easy things to do to get it up to around 250hp. I'm going to be building a 4.0 stroker motor this summer that should be pushing 300hp. :D

Rickracer
03-16-2004, 12:20 AM
I have a customer with 350K on an '89. Only major problem so far was a rear axle rebuild, and that was only because it was getting a bit noisy. Just replaced all the bearings, the gears were fine. :cool:

Jason Huber
03-18-2004, 03:37 PM
I only buy Jeeps that are @ or near 100k miles on em! Typically, my towing consisits of a 6x12 enclosed bike trailer, and now my Mirage (2000lbs or less). My 1st Cherokee - an 89' Limited 4.0- went from 100 to 190k with 1 set of brakes, tires, a water pump, and a radiator - all normal PM. Sold it because at started getting scabby & wasnt' worth a re-spray #2 Cherokee Laredo 4.0 came from Fla. Never had a hitch on it til' I got it. 90k - nearly 160k w/ brakes only. NOW, heres how-much confidence do I have in Jeep products: #3 is a 98' Grand Ltd. 5.2 I bought it w/ a little under 180k on it. Got it really right w/a noisey rear diff. I'll have put 15k on it by the end of this week. Trans was done @ 120k. I'm doing the rear diff with my tax refund. Came out of South Dakota where it racked-up all its miles @ 80mph. The 318 is thirstier, but doesnt' "hunt" in O/D and lockup like the auto in the Cherokees did. Front driveline (cv's), rear diff noise (carriers/bearings) & tranfer-case are the areas to watch on both models. The 4.0 mill is bulletproof - IMO the ultimate "tow" Jeep would be a Cherokee, 4.0 w/a 5 spd. manual Hope this helps. ;)

zmoz
03-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Jason - Cherokee's with the manual are only rated to 2000lbs, so it wouldn't be much of a "tow vehicle". (although probably just fine for a small boat) Also if you're transmission was "hunting" something was wrong. Once I get out onto the highway I go into overdrive and the torque converter locks and I stay that way until I stop...

Jason Huber
03-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Yup - meant 3-4-3 hunting under load, not TCC switch (lock-up). Didnt' realize that the 3-pedal Jeeps were geldings. 2000gvw? ouch! :(

zmoz
03-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Jason Huber
Yup - meant 3-4-3 hunting under load

Definately shouldn't have been doing that, probably something wrong with the TPS or kickdown cable. :)

Sutphen115
03-21-2004, 11:33 PM
Cherokees are the way to go but if you want a grand cherokee they aren't that bad. I was talking with my trans guy and he said the trans's are good for about 140 to 160 thousand miles. They are very strong. Mine has 167000 and its starting to slip a little. My first jeep was a cherokee. the 95's and older watch out with there braking. When its wet out take it easy they lock up very easily. If you get a grand cherokee check the bottom of the doors. Thats the only real rust problem with the grands. Grands with 8 cyl eat up a lot of gas. Mine gets 12 to 13 highway. They are both very good and tow great.

zmoz
03-21-2004, 11:52 PM
By the way...I just took a trip to the mountain in my Cherokee, 170 mile round trip, I got 25mpg! :D That was with 4 200lb+ people going up a mountain...

sho305
03-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Spent a lot of time in all three for work and also had a '93 limited cherokee 4x4 with posi. Had a new trans with lots of miles maybe 180k. I could hold the brake and get the tires smoking and lay posi for about 5 lengths of the vehicle, or close to second gear. That with the alloy rims that have the larger tires.:D Plenty of torque with the 4.0. The cherokees get pretty good mpg I thought considering what they are. They are a K-car tin can wagon that sits a little taller IMO. However, if you don't mind that they do the job fine really. They will go near anywhere...did some terrible things with rentals;) They were the sports, and had few goodies on them. The posi is nice, the full time 4wd, and the alloys are nice to have. They drive a little better with the bigger tires IMO.

Take real good care of the motor and trans, both will cost you if they fail. Also check the floor, they get wet and rust out under the carpet from rain or a bad heater core. You will not know unless you pull the carpet up. If you test drive it and like it, you will be happy. I didn't mind it driving for 12 hours at a time some days, though they are not that big inside.

I loved the Durangos I drove, they were 01-02s and had the 4.7. great motor from MB I think and you can get the HO kit for the grand to boost hp. Drove nice, 15-20mpg but the 02 got less mpg for some reason. Drove a grand for a little while with a 4.0 auto. It was ok for normal use, and I liked the solid feel. With the jeeps, the ones with full and part 4wd are nicer than just part 4wd. The grands have a worse repair record.

Seems like you should be able to get a used cherokee for a song these days with all the rebates and the new liberty stealing the show. I was at a dealer here and saw new 04 taurus were there for 15,900! If you hunt up a deal, you should be able to get a real nice one a few years old. Last summer, I could have bought a 98 explorer eddie bower awd V8 loaded with everything, leather, moonroof, etc. for 4700. It had 104k and was a company owners car and perfect save some wear in the driver seat. That was what the dealer offered for trade, and I should have grabbed it just to resell seeing the crazy prices on those. I saw them in the paper for 9k and not as nice.

ProComp
03-22-2004, 12:26 AM
I had a 1997 Cherekee Sport for a couple years and it was great. Gas and oil changes thats it. They are a little small inside and a little tough to get in and out of, but a great vehicle. I had the 5 speed standard in mine, no problems towing my STV.
The 4.0 litre with a standard was super fun to drive.

Great vehicle offroad too. I had 30" mud tires on mine and it went through a lot. Was 4 wheeling today and I guy had one lifted with 35's. Nice!

Best bang for you buck if you ask me.

Good luck with your purchase.

ProComp
03-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Is hard on fuel? :)

sho305
03-22-2004, 01:04 AM
I think they often rate the sticks at lower tow ratings because people don't know how to not burn up a clutch; or use low range for standing start stuff that pulls hard. I'd rather have the stick for me, but without a low range in a 2wd I don't know...depends on what you do with it. The only 2wd I ever had on our ramp was my golf cart with the big fat atv tires:)

pyro
03-22-2004, 07:48 AM
WOW, she's BEAUTIFUL! The truck, I mean. I wouldn't have any money left for fuel if I..... aw never mind.

Thanks for the tips. I may end up buying a Cherokee before I sell this car if I find a good deal. I still have a gorgeous '95 Lebaron GTC convertible for sale, $3900. Someone's spoiled brat of a daughter would absolutely love this car.

It does have a hitch for gentle, short-distance towing...

WARLOCK
03-31-2004, 01:15 PM
I've had four jeeps with the inline 6's. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the best motors. My wife ha d 97 cherokee sport, had 146000 miles on it and absolutely no problem except for normal wear and tear items (brakes, tires, tune-up). We bought another 2001 Cherokee Sport with 7200 miles about a year ago and the wife loves it. I've never had a trans. problem, but also never towed with it. Later, Dave

Psyco
04-27-2004, 11:36 PM
Worked in the tranny dept. at a local Jeep dealer. Here's the skinny.

The 4.0 is bullet proof.
The Cherokee has a jap tranny (AW4). It is loud,sloppy,and clunky but bullet proof.
The Grand uses an A500 (modified 904) tranny. It is bulletproof-------AS LONG AS YOU KEEP FLUID IN IT!!!!!
The reverse switch for the AW4 in the Cherokee is EXPENSIVE.
The oil filter adapters on the 4.0l can leak on the pre-99 models. Check it. It is a cheap fix.
Transmission coolers save money.
We had trouble/complaints about the rears. It is not a design problem,but a result of crappy bearings. If ya hear noise get it fixed.Most of these were repaired under warranty and there should be few left out there.
They are trucks and therefore ride like trucks.
Dollar for dollar,the old Cherokee is the best bet. I wouldn't buy older than about '96.

My '03 Durango hauls ass (from gas station to gas station). It has the final year of the 360 and will walk all over any sport ute out there,including the HEMI. Let's line'em up!!!!!:D

baja200merk
04-29-2004, 05:40 PM
ME AND MY FRIEND IN HIS 99 GRAND CHEROKEE V8 LINED UP AT A LIGHT, WITH A 99 DURANGO 5.9 CLEARLY INDICATED WE WERE RACING AND AFTER SECOND GEAR.. IT WAS NO RACE WE RIPPED HIM TO PEICES

EDIT---I WAS TOLD THE 99 GRAND CHEROKEE V8 WAS THE FASTEST SUV OF ITS YEAR AND IS FASTER THEN THE NEWER JEEPS IS THIS TRUE?

TIA KEVIN:cool: :cool:

zmoz
04-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by baja200merk
I WAS TOLD THE 99 WAS THE FASTEST SUV OF ITS YEAR AND IS FASTER THEN THE NEWER JEEPS IS THIS TRUE?

No. There's two main body styles, the ZJ which was from 93-98, and the WJ which is 99-04. There might be some slight speed differences between the ZJ and the WJ, but there aren't any within the 2 styles. If anything the older ZJ's are probably faster.

baja200merk
04-29-2004, 05:52 PM
I KNOW THE GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED (5.9L) MADE IN I BELIEVE 1998 IS .8 SECONDS FASTER THEN THE 99 GRAND WITH THE 5.2 BUT IS THE 5.2 FASTER THEN THE NEW ONES LIKE THE 4.7 HO AND SO ON?

HAVE YOU GUYS HERD OF THE LIBERTY DEISEL COMING OUT THE END OF THIS YEAR!!

--MY UNCLE SAYS HE HOPES THEY DONT COME OUT WITH A DIESEL CHEROKEE BECAUSE HE CANT AFFORD 2 CAR PAYMENTS LOL :D

TheJuicyClam
04-29-2004, 07:25 PM
The 5.9L was a limited production Grand Cherokee only produced for 1998. The 5.2 was the highest V8 offered until that point. Which was standard with the Limited Package for many years. The new models(99-04) have the added motor known as the 4.7 H.O. which has more hp and torque than the 5.9 did. But do to weight issues with the 99-04's it was never as fast as the limited production 5.9L in 1998. The Old body style(93-95) was the lightest, weighing in at between 3800 and 4000lbs. The next facelift came in 96-98, this grand was heavier, around 4200lbs to 4300lbs. Still the high torque 5.9L was the fasted Grand Cherokee Ever made. The 99-04 weigh even more, tipping the scales at 4600-4800lbs, which is around the weight of a 98 Durango with less power. Jeep is planning to release the new 2005 Grand Cherokee with an optional 5.7L Hemi, but this is not going to be your ordinairy new generation hemi, this is going to be revolutionary. While driving on the highway for extended travel, 4 cylinders drop to save gas(which sounds like a good idea, except when half your motor dies before the other half). Besides the new beefed motor, exterior design changes will be made. As if changing it in 99 wasn't a shock enough to Classic Jeep lovers, they are going to change it around again. According to Jeep, it is not going to be drastic, but it will be a noticible change in appearence and interior design.

eautosales
04-29-2004, 08:44 PM
remember the old caddy 4 6 8 motor it dropped cylinders also
it was a failure

sho305
04-29-2004, 10:04 PM
I read tests of that hemi in the car and they can't tell when the cylinders drop. It better work as they like the gas. I drove two Duragos with the 4.7. I was told there is a HO kit for $300 that makes them run better. I like the motor a lot though it lacks a little torque way down low like most OHCs do. It is a MB motor I think. One was faster than the other for some reason and got better mpg. They go pretty good when you hammer it and sound sweet. IMO, I'd rather have the 4.7 and better mpg. 360 has more torque I am sure but the 4.7 seemed to make enough power for the durango. I know many people with 318 and 360 that had problems with the cover under the intake leaking oil. It goes into the motor and gets burnt, so it just starts eating oil and finally runs poor and/or plugs the converter.

baja200merk
04-29-2004, 10:29 PM
doesnt the benz v12's drop cyl on the highway?

TheJuicyClam
04-30-2004, 07:12 AM
I have driven a 1999 Grand Cherokee and a 2004 durango with the 4.7. First off, the difference between these two motors is nothing, except the new durango is heavy. The H.O. version offers more power, but honestly, nothing to brag about. My mother owns a 1999 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 Powertech(non- H.O. model) and I dispise it. I drive a 1994 Grand Cherokee with the 318 5.2L LA series motor. And my Jeep would blow the doors off my mothers. Also, one last comment. My sister owns a 1998 Grand Cherokee, with the 5.2L--NOT the 5.9L, and hers is remarkably slower than mine and my mothers, they did do some tuning differences, emissions, and computer changes to the timing and fuel dilivery, also changing the fuel pump to a slighty smaller one for better fuel economy. Regardless, my main point to this is to bash the 4.7L, I simply do not like it. Also, I would just like to see a Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi, or even a first Gen. Hemi in there. As for me, my future plans are to drop a 360 ci/380hp Mopar Crate motor into my now 5.2L Grand Cherokee, and then put a 6-speed manual racing tranny, re-do all suspension, rear axle, differential, and slap a Kenne-Bell or Vortech Supercharger to it. A total up up to 570HP and close to 700ft./lbs of torque. Race Jeep!

sho305
04-30-2004, 07:55 AM
For me I still have to go places over an hour away, so I don't want a hog. I was putting 30K on I think a new '01 and '02 Durango in 3-4 months then. I got from 15-20mpg. The '01 was better and both were 4.7s. I drove 5.2s in other vehicles and they run ok, but take more gas for nearly the same power...and I just don't really want a 40 year old tech motor in my new car. If you want to make a rubber burner out of it then you would want the 360. They said they were replacing the 4.7 with a hemi that was cheaper to make I heard but don't know if they changed it or not. The 5.2 had more grunt and the 4.7 revved more I thought. I never pulled a thing then but I am sure a boat would not bother it. IMO the new Durango looks like a minivan with a truck grille, but that is just me. You know gas will not get cheaper....I'd rather put the gas in my boat. Again, I drive some miles so that is more important to me. Another guy had a 5.2 Durango then and could not get the mpg I did no way. It was 2-3mpg worse. Since they were rentals I had, I did not drive them easy;) I hit the redline every day, 30K and I got another one, never had a problem. It was my favorite out of a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Blazer old and new model, and Explorer '02. Of course, none of them had a V8 but the Blazer I6 did haul the bacon when you screamed it. Just felt way too soft though when driving.

TheJuicyClam
04-30-2004, 09:04 AM
I would have to agree about the 4.7 hi-reving attributes. Personally, not a fan, a V8 should be loud, and not sound like a tiny little motor. Also, the fact that it revs hi, with chryslers patented crappy valve seals, really doesn't help out. The 5.2L is a hog for gas, but the power difference is quite noticible, no less the mellow rumble tones. My grand cherokee has the 5.2L and I took the cat out and put a Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow High Perfomance muffler, kept the stock piping from muffler to exhasut tip, but oooooooo boy. It is LOUD!!-and if Greg reads this, I did make my Jeep loud, thought I wouldn't do it! hee hee

SKATER241
04-30-2004, 11:16 AM
"THE JUICY CLAM"THAT IS ONE HELL OF A HANDLE.GIVES AN AWESOME MENTAL PICTURE!!!!!!!!!

TheJuicyClam
04-30-2004, 12:05 PM
hey skater, check out my site, get to know more about the Juicy Clam. http://juicyclammotorsports.tripod.com/customdesigns

Due to expantion of Juicy Clam Motorsports as something actually being taken seriously, the name has been changed by myself and my staff. The new name will be Insel Weit Motorsports, which means Island(Insel) Wide(Weit) Motorsports(Motorsports), the first two words are in German. Feel free to visit the new site that is under construction(really cool flash intro!), and best of all it is spam and pop-up free!! http://iwm.ligerzeroart.com/iwintro.swf - honestly a create flash, and also going to be a great site. Also wait to see the Insel Weit Motorsports Promo Video soon to be posted on that second site. Also look forward to video coverage of street racing events and so on and so forth.

*Disclaimer*- My staff and I would like to state, that in no way, shape, or form are we trying to replace Scream and Fly within the boating community. All of the fine folks at Scream and Fly have provided, and will continue providing the best boat coverage and tech help around. We are simply bridging the gap between land and sea. Sincerely,
Erik(Owner) and Staff of Insel Weit Motorsports

ProComp
04-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Have nothing bad to say about my 4.7 up to this point. Plenty enough power and I can get 20 mpg if I take it easy on the highway. Now if it was lifted as big as this one, I may want a 360 or a Hemi..................

SUPAJAY
06-22-2004, 08:24 PM
I have a 98 durango 5.9L, It kicks ass, i havent been beaten by a Jeep yet ! Eric wont race me.... i wonder why ? I have an intake, jet chip and flowmaster exhaust. I havent been beaten my many cars.

TheJuicyClam
06-24-2004, 09:16 AM
What did I say Jay, stop talking ****, I never said I wouldn't race you, just that I haven't had the time. And lets look at one thing real quick, Jeep with a 5.2L and only weighing in at 3800lbs, a durango with a 5.9 weighing in at 4900lbs. Stock 5.2L has 220hp 325ft/lbs torque, stock 5.9L has 245hp and 345ft/lbs torque. and every 100lbs on a car takes off .10 of a sec. To the math, and stop running your mouth

SUPAJAY
06-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Im not running my mouth, i just said that you wouldnt race me... ive been wanting to for a long time. It should be a good run.

Sutphen115
08-03-2004, 10:37 PM
I watched a stock grand cherokee run a 15.7 and then a little while later watched a durango r/t with an exhuast and a filter run a 16.3.

1BadAction
08-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by supaboatmillenium
I havent been beaten my many cars.

blah ha ha ha ha WTF are you smoking? a durango with a 5.9 couldnt take my wore out 1994 4.3 blazer let alone any car that runs faster than a 16...

PARKER RABE
08-22-2004, 11:40 AM
i have a beautiful 1996 grand cherokee for sale , loaded all leather tow pkg , very clean truck good looking , check out non marine items for more info, or call parker
727 686 0900