PDA

View Full Version : ANYBODY EVER JETTED USING A TEST WHEEL??

Instigator
05-05-2001, 05:37 PM
Never heard of this, but sure would simplify matters. Anybody know why this won't work??
Thought of trying it on the Land & Sea dyno I have acces to but from what I've heard they're pretty fragile.
Instigator

sosmerc
05-05-2001, 08:45 PM
What engine do you have...and how has it been modified?
The problem with using dynos, test wheels, etc...is that it really cannot duplicate precisely the conditions your engine will experience while running on the water. I use both a Land and Sea dyno as well as a K and O hydraulic dyno. With exhaust temp pyro's hooked up I feel I can get at least a "safe" jetting setup prior to all-out full throttle sustained runs on the water. I always put a strong fan in front of the engine when testing on dyno....but that probably doesn't even come close to the airflow around your engine when underway on the water...and what a difference clean air into the motor can make!! In addition to better airflow around the engine when on the water, also, your water pressure and flow will be much better when in the water. Let us know more about your specific rig and your objectives.

Instigator
05-06-2001, 12:18 AM
Running 3 liter OMC loopers. Two stock, one not. Just roached one motor on a boat with (stock) twins. Ran with open breather end of last season no problem. Opened exhaust this season, motor went lean, and boom.
Working on another project with a modified motor too.
Thought I had a short cut for the work I have ahead of me.
Guess the fact remains that the most accurate method remains the same.
You raise some valid issues for the dyno and test wheel too.
Guess the dyno (or test wheel)is best for timing??
Thanx! Instigator

Bill Gohr
05-09-2001, 08:53 AM
Not a chance. It may get you close but the load for a given rpm is not the same.......