PDA

View Full Version : whats it take to put a motor in a mustang?

baja200merk
02-24-2004, 07:05 PM
whats it take to put a motor in a mustang?

my boy just overheated and warped the heads on his 95 mustang with a 3.8l v6

any idea how long it takes to pull it out and mount the new one?

the tranny will have to come out with it? rite?

thanks kevin

O/B Dude
02-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Its not hard. Use tape and a marker to label all the lines and hoses. you don't need to pull the tranny. You may need some special tools like harmonic balancer puller, a power steering pullet tool, thiings like that...but you can rent them. I dont disconnect the A/C lines, just unbolt the compressor from the motor and set to the side. That way no recharging the A/C. A Chiltons manual will help also.

You can do a swap in a weekend, easy.

baja200merk
02-24-2004, 07:47 PM
yea a weekend!

kool cause my friend is gonna buy the motor but it will have to drop it in

tools wont be an issue cause have a friend that owns a shop or 2 so that shouldnt b a problem

and you are definatally correct about the chilltons!!! thats a must!

thanks alot man! lata kevin:D

ShorePounder
02-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Just got done with a R&R and rebuild on a '91 w/ a 2.3L. I'll concur with O/B Dude. MARK EVERYTHING!!! I made masking tape flags and wrote what was what on them with sharpie markers. I also used cheapie ziploc style bags to store and catalog every bolt I took off. Between my work schedule, machine work and waiting for parts, it took about 3 or 4 weeks to get it all done and back in the car. I was sure glad I labeled everything and had everything bagged up to tell me what went where.

No the tranny doesn't have to come out, On an auto, you'll have to unbolt the converter from the flexplate though. On a manual tranny, you'll just have to finagle it to clear the input shaft on the way out. Make sure you support the tranny before yanking the motor. Don't disconnect the A/C lines. The only special tool(s) you might need to get the motor out would be for the fuel lines, no big deal. I think Auto Zone has them in their loan-a-tool deal.

Good luck and be careful.

Steve Reist
02-24-2004, 11:57 PM
The flat rate manual gives 7.3 hrs. Hope this helps.
Good luck, Steve

baja200merk
02-25-2004, 03:30 PM
wat is all this good luck?:eek: :confused:

haha thanks guys :p

kevin:D

C. Phillips
02-26-2004, 04:42 PM
if he is swapping in another 3.8, then shouldn't take too long at all.

baja200merk
02-26-2004, 09:33 PM
hes yankin a 3.8 that has 197000 miles (yes 197k) on it

and putting a 3.8 in that has 50kmiles

thanks for the help guys!