PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problems Help Please

speedyfast
02-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Hi all, Just got my parents old computer, it is crashed and something seriously wrong, thing is it aint that old ( dell dimension 4100) i want to get it working again but am having a tough time desciding where to start. I KNOW this computer is much better than my ****ty old laptop running windows 98' and they got a new computer and have gioven it to me ( i figure why let the it guy make off with it before ive tried my hand at fixing it) ive got all the reboot disks that come with it from new. what should i do?
I think its got a virus but not really sure. should i erase all the memory and reload whatever is on all the backup disks??? how do i erase everything???
i had a similar porblem with my old laptop mentiaoned above and i just brought it along with the backup disks to the computer store and had them re-format the thing or like 50 or 70 bucks canadian and its been working much better ( should i just try to do this???)
i dont know how often anyone reads this section but i hope somone can lead me in the correct direction ( again, this computer isnt that old and i know its way better than my 6 year old crap laptop, i need to get it working!)
any advice/hlep is greatly appreciated
speedy

MarkHP
02-23-2004, 03:14 PM
If you are not very computer savvy then the $50 to the store is a bargin, go for it!

crazy horse
02-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Do you have backups of your operating system and your files? What is the machine doing when you boot it up? If you low level format the drive you'll have to start from scratch. If you've never done this type of thing before you might want someone to do it for you.

speedyfast
02-23-2004, 06:51 PM
really slow when booted up and sometimes it freezes during the booting process.....
i am not too computer savy as you probably could tell.
as far as i am aware i have everything the computer came with (backup ****) from new!
what is is low level formatting and ive got no problem starting from scratch i just want to erase everything and re-load...
soo, it looks like i should be taking it to a computer store and getting a quote on re-formatting this sumbitch???? whatcha think, my parents computer guy said it was a big job but i think he was just trying to make a buck by selling them a new computer which worked, but i am sure this thing is saveable.
help

MarkHP
02-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Depending on what software you want installed it can take some time. To give you an idea here is a typical scinario:

Format drive 5-10 min depending on size
Load Windows operating system 45 min
Load drivers for peripherals (sound cards, video etc.) 45 min
Update operating system 30min to 2 hours depending on network speed
Final tuning etc. 45 min

This all assumes that there is no hardware problem. As I said bfore if the store will charge $50 it's worth it.

glastron
02-24-2004, 09:28 PM
if you have the recovery cd's just run them. its pretty easy.

WharfRat
02-24-2004, 10:59 PM
look for a sticker on the system, you need the service tag #, go to the Dell web site & go to the support page & enter the # & click on downloads. Also make sure your windows is up to date from microsoft, start there & let me know. I support about 300 Dell 4100's at work

AlexD
03-20-2004, 03:45 PM
MY computer is a piece of **** too. If you want to start from scratch just run the recovery discs and it will make the computer run like it did back in the day when u bought it. It should have all the original programs, and i am pretty sure it kills all the virus' and deletes all the crap that is slowing it down. If you want to save any of the stuff that is on the comp. just pop in a blank cd and put it all onto that. then when u need it just pop the disc back in.