PDA

View Full Version : Casting Tunnel Light.

Techno
02-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Which actually has several meanings.
Anyway. I finally, finally, finally managed to mold some wax patterns of my bezels. I've done so many I have no idea of the count. Even cast them from a casting plasic, which also broke, out of desperation.
Turns out the rubber molds don't need the hard shells on them. Thats what was breaking the wax- when I removed the shells.
So I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

To make a long post short, I finaly can begin casting this stuff. Also need to recast the pin cleats. Cast the bow lights, Steering wheel, wheel bezel, fuel tank fitting, peristaltic pump for the oil, seat sliders. A few more I'm sure to be forgetting.
Only the bezels and wheel are done with wax.
Once you get rolling you find a whole lotta things.
The aluminum cost me zilch. 2 friends and a few bags of pistons. 2 lawn mower engines and one cycle engine.

To do aluminum casting.
You need a can. It can be from a coffee can to a garbage can. Inside this you form a liner from sand and fireclay(you get that from a pottery store).
Some more sand and bentonite, which speedy dry or kitty litter will do. Some frames for the sand boxy deals. A few patterns. A Crucible which is a peice of pipe with a bottom. Or a soup can.
The furnace is fueled from charcoal with a blower- hair dryer. Or propane like your grills tank without a blower.
Common sense to be dealing with a metal in liquid form.

The way you cast the aluminum can be done in sand, lost wax with plaster of paris, Lost foam in a can of loose sand. A few more but these about cover it.

Best part is there is an enormous amount of info on the web. http://members.lycos.co.uk/technostv/hpbimg/p%20cleat.jpg Shiny http://members.lycos.co.uk/technostv/hpbimg/crucible%20flame.jpg

Reese
03-23-2004, 02:11 AM
you're now casting you own stuff...looks very good but how much time is it gonna take to do all the bezels, cleats...and steering wheel...you're not talking about an entire 13" steering wheel are you???

Techno
03-23-2004, 08:19 PM
I have 3 duplicates of all the bezels sitting in plaster of paris now. One exception is the one mold that fell behind. Thats in wax. The wheel is half molded. Half a rubber mold for the wax.
The PP molds are ready to pour but haven't had nice enough weather.
And Yes the whole wheel will be cast. How else? After its cast it gets weight tested. I'll hang off it. Its 12" though. The sides get red leather covers while the rest stays bare, red Kandy.

The pin cleats and some others are green sand casted which is a jazzillion times easier and faster than the lost wax.
Ram up a mold maybe 1/2 an hour? heat the aluminum 1/2 hour, pour and let cool. Not long for that.

It took about a week to burn out the wax and dry the molds for all of them. If only a single per item the whole process would have been shorter. Mostly a learning curve and the desire not to burn my house down:D

Reese
03-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Need your advice on something. I need to cast 6" x 6" x 1/4" field tile...the kind that go on a backsplash of a kitchen.

I will probably cast these in some low melting metal like pewter. What is the best type of mold (plaster of paris, lost wax, etc) to use for this kind of casting. I will need to make three different pattern molds, with a total of about 20 castings per mold.

Here is a picture of the tile I need to duplicate. BTW...each tile is about $35.00 to purchase...that's why I'm thinking of doing it myself.

Techno
03-22-2005, 08:22 PM
You can do green sand and this is either with bentonite (kitty litter) or petrobond. Not sure of bentonite but petrobond will give a very fine surface, one person posted a picture of a quarter.

You can check HERE (http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/) for info and links and HERE (http://pub42.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=3548766086&cpv=1) For the forum where you can ask more detailed questions.

Petrobond uses oil instead of water like bentonite uses. Petrobond costs money where bentonite is pretty cheap. The bigger problem is finding sand which should be local since shipping costs too much.

I gave up on lost wax and could have saved a bunch of work and time. Ended up casting the bezels as blanks and machining the grooves in them. The backs and windows where nearly cast complete.