PDA

View Full Version : Headers on a 5.3 chevy

JustMercMe
02-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Thinkin' bout putting headers on my Chevy. Has anybody here done this? What is the difference performance wise? Do headers really help in towing like they say?

175checkmate
02-18-2004, 01:29 PM
I just put headers on my V10 Dodge. It was the 1st part of the exhaust that I did. Noticed an improvement right away. I then installed a cat back exhaust. Noticed more gain. Then installed the cold air intake filter system from K&N. More gain.
This was on my dodge. Being a mopar guy I would think anything you could do to your chevy to help it out would be a good thing:D

JustMercMe
02-18-2004, 02:12 PM
I've already got two one chamber Flowmasters on it. I was just wondering if the headers would help in the low end torque that much.

we are total oppisites I reckon b/c I'd much rather drive a Ford than a Dodge and I hate Fords. :D

1BadAction
02-18-2004, 03:09 PM
for the money, you are better off finding some other way to make it stronger. IF you find a header that will increase your bottom end #1 its only going to bump it up a little and #2 THEY ARE gonna be big money. some of the cheaper headers out there would probably do nothing but give you more hp on top end, and *probably* hurt the bottom end.

RichS
02-18-2004, 06:40 PM
But if you look around and can find some Try-Y headers, they will help the bottom and middle. Now that ya mention it, I got onadem 5.3 Chebs and that sounds like a 1st class idea.:cool:

JustMercMe
02-19-2004, 03:40 PM
I had a set of Gibsons located on ebay but it did'nt go as planned.:(

dc96819
02-20-2004, 03:09 AM
Doug Throley has a good setup and Arizona speed and marine,Long tube cermic coated $700.Long tube headers for bottem end torque.I could feel the difference in power:)

heres a good site on chevy trucks
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/

JustMercMe
02-20-2004, 09:51 AM
for the site info.....Can't believe I have'nt heard of that site before. Its great! Basically like here but for trucks. Bad Ass! Man have I got some questions saved up. Rims for sale too.

Thanks

MODVP22
02-22-2004, 11:07 PM
I've always been told Headers hurt towing because they decrease torque for pulling, hauling, etc. Something about Headers don't make the engine force the exhaust out and that lowers your amount of torque. I could be wrong, but that's what I was told. I have headers on my 350, the manifolds died. Dumb things leak at the collectors all the time, but they sure sound cool ;)

W. Tripp
02-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Headers with a long primary length no bigger than 1 1/2 in. OD, with a long collector will increase the low and mid range torque up to the peak. An exhaust "H" cross-over (not "X" type) is another torque building addition - it deepens and quiets the exhaust sound as well. An exhaust system that flows well and goes out the rear of the vehicle will add even more. Turbo type mufflers, like walker Dynomax or Cyclone "Tuff Truck Turbo" will flow well and not make the exhaust pulse think it has ended like Flowmasters will - this is like long collector length. This is what is needed for towing and mileage.

A free flowing intake/aircleaner that pulls air from outside the engine compartment will help with this as well. Plastic intake tubing is ALWAYS better than aluminum. Each 10 degrees you drop the intake air temp gives 1% more power. K&N has very good TESTED intake systems for most vehicles - check their website. http://www.knfilters.com/FIPK/fipk.htm

Change the stock 210-220 degree thermostat to a 190-200 degree one to help reduce engine temp and increase power. DO NOT go too low - the engine ECU will stay in choke mode and burn a lot of fuel.

Another area often overlooked for low end power is the ignition system. Good spark in the low rpm band makes a big difference to torque and mileage. Platinum or iridium plugs (standard 1 electrode Bosch Platinum plugs work very well, and are not very expensive) last a long time and provide good spark. Good plug wires help as well. Add a heave guage (12 ga. minimum) ground wire directly from the block to the negative terminal on the battery (allow extra length for engine movement). This will provide higher voltage for the spark - no BS - the stock ground strap has poor conductivity.

TK-7 Super Power Booster will clean, protect, and add a noticeable power improvement at 1/4 oz to each gallon. http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/931760.htm

Select aftermarket parts for low end power and efficiency for your truck, and you will be happier with power and mileage. I hope this helps,

JustMercMe
02-23-2004, 09:52 AM
It is helpful. I've been thinking of putting the K&N air intake on it for a while. Just mainly playing with ideas right now. Trying to get an idea for whats out there and what can be done.

Thanks,
Itchy

MODVP22
02-23-2004, 12:32 PM
YES! I'll never own another auto without a K&N

dc96819
02-24-2004, 01:49 AM
Justmercme what year is your truck.I have a new filter from my whipple supercharger and other stuff if intrested.That fsc truck site hass all kinds o goodies.

JustMercMe
02-24-2004, 09:29 AM
I looked at the whipple charger too.....Damn! what power that thing puts out. Just a little on the expensive side though. Email me what ya got.

JRider
04-30-2004, 08:16 AM
I have done a little bit to my Avalanche with a 5.3 and have found that a power programmer and cold air intake is the best bang for the buck. I also did gibson catback exhaust (didnt seem to do much for me)...I wish I would have went with Corsa exhaust!....then I would have had it right the first time. Anyway, I have the hypertech programmer, which is the best as far as being easy to use and not f*cking anything up, but short of LSedit the Predator programmer is the way to go. With your input you can get custom tunes from diablo.

If you really dont want to F around with this nickel dime crap just go with a supercharger. There is a lot of info on these on the chevy truck forums and Avalanche forums. I like the Radix myself but it depend on what you want as far as performance. If you you want milage get a centrifugal. If you want real power go with a roots type.

A supercharger may be the way to go. With the $1000 bucks I dumped into intake, exaust, and programmer, I didnt see much of a gain. Superchargers already come with canned programming and intake ready to go. If you install it yourself you can save some $. A full exhaust system would help with the SC but is not necissary.

I also sunk in another $1000 for 4.56 gears...more bang for the buck as far as what I use my truck for. Towing sleds or a 6000# offshore boat in overdrive is no problem.

Another option is to scrap the whole plan and just go with the 3/4 ton Duramax. These are great in the standard form or you can add a ton of torque/horsepower to these with just a little programming! And the milage is most likely better than a 1/2 ton.

Anyway...here is my advice, I dont think headers are worth the time or the headache without a SC. I would start with a Hypertech programmer and a Procold brand intake (Procold have low intake noise unlike my K&N) and if you feel you want exhaust spend the money and go with a Corsa Catback system.

JRider

JRider
04-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Av

Mach2
05-14-2004, 12:04 PM
These plugs are great if you drive a normal car like a normal person, but for towing or speed, they are not ideal. I have seen melted tips on irridium plugs on stock or slightly modified supercharged Grand Prixs. I had platiunum in my Pontiac TA with 12:1 compression and noticed a difference switching to NGK plugs (less knock).