PDA

View Full Version : Fire stingishers

Techno
02-16-2004, 08:47 PM
If its time to buy another one since the cheap no gauge types date is expired. Then the type with a gauge is a good bet. It can be recertified and they don't need to be stamped with USCG stuff on them to be legal. Probably cheaper if not bought at a boat store anyway.
Don't know how long it takes to be economical but they're better anywho.

Probably plenty of Fire fighters on the board have suggestions for places?
I'll need one or two myself but might be able to get it through work, I hope. Safety program they do. If not where?

lyle
02-16-2004, 08:57 PM
try lowes or home depot or boat store try to find co2 one that cheap and have it serviced every year better then dry chem going into your engine

Gerben
02-17-2004, 07:59 PM
I'd say get a foam-type extinguisher.
A bit bulkier.
But when something happens a powder type will destroy all your electronics.

Gerben

KaptainKirk
02-17-2004, 08:19 PM
onda web for a place called AMERX

bulldogdaddy
04-04-2004, 10:22 AM
i've seen exstigueshers on a boat site that have an auto release if the temp gets to high,a little pricey.
anyone have any info on these?
was thinking about putting one under the rear hatch for the fuel tanks and such

pyro
04-04-2004, 04:07 PM
If your engine is on fire, you probably shouldn't be worrying about which extinguisher might harm the electronics.. Just a thought. :confused:

bulldogdaddy
04-04-2004, 04:25 PM
good point pyro:D

gaineso
04-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Paid less than $20 at Sam's for 2 dry chem. Put one in the car and one in the boat. Got 2 more and put them at each end of the garage. Cheap enough at that price.

stvhelm
07-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Costco has white marine fire extinguishers 2 pack for 19.99. It also comes with 3 red, green, and white light sticks. which come in handy if for some reason your navigation lights dont work. I just bought a pack last week

MattGreen
09-03-2004, 04:22 PM
The best fire extinguisher for the type of boating we do is a 5 pound ABC dry chemical. The best available is a brand called AMEREX (US-made); FLAG (Canadian) and General (US) are almost as good. Get a model with a hose and vehicle bracket; this will run you around $50 at a fire extinguihser or safety store.
Models like this have a lifespan of at least 30 years, can be recharged an infinite number of times, and have robust handles and brackets. These must be recharged every 6 years according to NFPA document 10, the regulation governing portable fire extinuishers that is used in both the US and Canada.

Don't go any smaller than 5 pounds - the discharge time and capacity are simply too small. The 2.5 pound size typically seen in boats and in hardware stores give you about 8 seconds of agent discharge. It takes about 1 second to aim it, and the last second doesn't do much, ginving you about 6 effective seconds. And even then, the volume of agent that's moving is toooo small. A model with a hose is preferable for marine use since you can stuff the hose in through a hatch or into the bilge with less chance of exposing yourself to the flames.

There are LOTS of reasons NOT to buy the cheapo hardware store versions: many are non-refillable, thus must be tossed after 6 years. Even the ones that are rechargeable are usually VERY lightly built and don't take abuse well at all. Think about it - the extinguisher will be subject to slamming around in your boat, vibration, and the occasional whack - do you want the handles so mashed it won't work, or the bracket to fail so it's bouncing around at 90 mph ? You'd be surprised how EXPENSIVE the harware store versions are compared to high qwuality units sold at a fire equipment supplier. Hardware stores don't sell many of the 5 pound size, and I think their prices suck as a result. At the Home Depot near me, I can buy a ****ty 5 pounder for $45, or a premium Flag at an extinguisher shop for around $50, a real no-brainer.

I hope this lengthy post was useful !!

Matt Green, former fire-extinguisher technician

mendo
09-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Matt,

Great info!!

Never too much data, especially from someone who knows.

Thanks!!