PDA

View Full Version : Nascar Field Filling

2.something
02-15-2004, 11:23 AM
38 entries recieved for Rockingham
$20-40K offers to several arca teams to fill the field.
Same for vegas plus travel $.
TV contract $ requires full 43 car field

Economy?
Points System

Did too much micro management screw up a good thing???

stevek
02-15-2004, 02:39 PM
Primarily the economy IMHO.

I wish the sport would get back more to its roots rather than the pretty boy PC sport it's becoming *sigh*

Raceman
02-16-2004, 08:59 AM
I doubt that it's the economy. In spite of what the media conspiracy would report in the ongoing effort to defeat Bush, there are some strong indicators that the economy is on a strong growth cycle. There was a stinging commentary by someone on one of the channels within the last several weeks that the media sensationalizes how many jobs lost each reported period, but doesn't choose to mention jobs gained or net gains/losses. I hadn't ever thought of it, but it's true.

I suspect in the case of Nascar that it is more of the micro management thing, or possibly even pure politics. I also know that some of the old die hard redneck/good ole' boy Nascar fans are disgruntled over letting brands other than their favorite have seemingly random rules advantages to "SUPPOSEDLY" level the playing field. Far as I know, it's not hurting the gate as of yet, although I've heard a bunch of folks say that they don't go any more for a number of reasons (not the least of which is the annual pay off to Jessie Jackson which I detest in principle as well).

Nascar began as a innovator's and builder's sport where there was a certain cult worship to the guys with all the tricks that showed with the faster cars. With all the cookie cutter mentality now, in an effort to make all cars exactly equal, it becomes mostly a driver's race, but given the current format, there has to be a certain amount of luck involved. NHRA went through a similar tranformation in their lower classes when they started everybody slamming on brakes instead of really caring who could build the fastest car legal for a class. I think it hurt the sport of drag racing tremendously and Nascar may well be shooting itself in the foot in the same way. It seems obvious that the fans never really warmed to the IROC series, where all cars were theoretically identical. I guess time will tell if the gate numbers fall off.