PDA

View Full Version : Cost and amount of materials

Johnny Venomous
02-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Ive got a 30 ft. Cobra Teminator Cat and I was wondering what materials would cost? I want to re-spray the whole boat with a nice new shiny white layer of gel coat after I do a couple of touch ups. Can I use my auto paint spray gun, I have all of the normal auto body tools already(spray guns, sanders and buffer). How much of what materials do I need and roughly what should it cost.
Thanks,
Johnny

Gordie Miller
02-13-2004, 01:19 PM
and it's been proven remarkably accurate MANY times. Figure out how long it will take, how much it willl cost...........now TRIPLE both of those and you are real close.

AlaskaStreamin
02-13-2004, 03:56 PM
From my experience you aren't going to get a "shiny" finish with gelcoat without spending several days of sanding and several more days buffing. I spray gelcoat with a Binks #7 and a #2001. I thin it 10% max with styrene and go for it. I would guess 10 gallons of gelcoat at roughly $200.00 per 5 gal pail.

Several years ago I did a 15' Boston Whaler. I sprayed 2 gallons on the outside (four coats) and sanded through in a few places. I spent days with air sanders to get to 400 grit then went with a air vibrating sander and wet sanded to 1000 then polished. In one year in the salt water, it looked like crap and needed more buffing. Now I spray Interlux Interthane plus on all the repaints. It's super tough and no polishing is necessary. I looked at a boat I painted eight years ago (sitting in the salt water) and it is still glossy.