PDA

View Full Version : MyDoom Worm

ApolloImaging
02-11-2004, 02:30 AM
Has anyone else been getting these? Up until about a week ago I would maybe get 1 piece of spam a month between all my email accounts. But here lately I get about 10 emails a day all containing the MyDoom Worm. They are all pulled out with the servers anti-virus so its not that huge of an issue other than annoying the hell out of me. Im just wondering how I keep getting them since ive never got any spam at all previously. Is it one of those deals that goes in an infected users address book and spreads to everyone in it or something?

Rickracer
02-11-2004, 06:50 AM
It's one that emails itself , I believe. :rolleyes:

B.Leonard
02-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Just the other day I had a friend down here (Rob from Carbinite) checking out my computer that I'm going to offer through BLMarine. He is thinking about a similar system for his small business (Carbinite does specialized coatings and the CAD engineering for our pistons).

I showed him the dozens of viruses that had come in that were caught first by the Spam filters as bulk mail. To his shock we proceeded to open them all! The mailer would give warnings "DO NOT OPEN!, known virus!" I'd ignore it and download the virus! LOL!! :eek: Of course when downloaded to a Unix machine it is completely harmless, even with no virus protection software whatsoever :p

Then I showed him how I can run all the PC applications on my Unix box because it has an actual PC contained on a card in the computer. Basically 2 computers in one sharing the same monitor, Unix for e-mail, web/security, the PC for pictures, games and other misc apps. All behind 2 firewalls. The ultimate computer system, hack proof, virus proof and crash proof and can run anything.

I think I'm going to get more interest from these computer systems than from performance outboard related stuff :rolleyes: I’ll have more info to come soon on the BLMarine (www.blmarine.com) web site :)

-BL

WharfRat
02-11-2004, 11:58 AM
don't forget to offer a course on how to use the damn things :eek:

You can forward all the "normal" tech stuff to me:D

(normal meaning "windows" of course):p

B.Leonard
02-11-2004, 01:05 PM
It was good catching up with ya on the phone the other night!

My wife can use the system so that's a good sign. I just make real big buttons she can press that kick off all the scripts that do the work :D She's never had to reboot yet :)
Now if only I can somehow disable any button with "Add to cart" on it! :D

-BL

WharfRat
02-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Oh, that ain't no button you need to add............

it's those rectangular plastic thingies in her purse that need to get "misplaced" instead, makes that "add to cart" button not work so easy :D

Anyway, for you non nerds running Windows, Microsoft released a new critical patch yesterday that ya'll should install asap, just go here to find it:

click here (www.microsoft.com/security)

High Point
02-11-2004, 01:49 PM
>>Is it one of those deals that goes in an infected users address book and spreads to everyone in it or something?<<

Yes, mass mailing from the address book and emails found in certain files on the hard drive is one of the things it does. But it gets worse. It creates a back door. Read more about it at:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mydoom.a@mm.html

So the PC of someone you know or the PC of someone who has your email address somewhere on their hard drive is infected with Mydoom. You can't easily tell whose computer is infected because the worm creates a different sender with each email. Most spammers evidently don't have your email address on their lists.

Here's my solution for avoiding Windows viruses and worms: I use a Macintosh. It's not that Macs are immune to viruses. They're just immune to viruses that are written to infect PCs running Windows. The current operating system , Mac OS X (ten) is based on Unix. As was pointed out earlier, Unix is also immune to Windows viruses. With less than 10% market share, virus writers don't waste their time writing Mac viruses. They can't make the evening news even with a "successful" Mac virus.

Here's a reasonable solution that you can do if you don't want to run out and buy a Mac. I registered a domain name that included 50 email addresses. The domain name account is self servicing -- meaning I create and delete the email addresses that I want, when I want. All of my created email addresses forward to my >>real<< email address. I never give out my >>real<< email address. Whenever I have to give out my email address either for online shopping or subscribing to online services I use one of the 50 email addresses I created. When and if that email address starts getting spam, I terminate the account.

Using web email services like yahoo or hotmail will have the same result (you create a new email address when the old one gets spammed), but you won't have the benefit of using your special domain name in your email address, which I prefer.

Liqui-Fly
02-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Someone is coming to look at it for me today. My firewalls seems to catch and kill everything but I am getting tons of mail.

David