PDA

View Full Version : Stereo system in Vegas

imq707s
02-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Anyone put a bad ass stereo in a Vegas? What speakers did you use and were did you put them. Any pics would be great. Thanks

pyro
02-10-2004, 10:29 AM
I have thought about it, but have not done it yet. I was going to do something simple that sounded good, such as smaller 3.5" or 5.25" poly/rubber type speakers with loud tweeters, and a 6.5" or 8" Bazooka-type powered subwoofer placed in the rear, or under the bow.

Mine has a dash depth guage on the passenger side that I would probably pull out and exchange for the head unit.

Someday...

blkmtrfan
02-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by pyro
a 6.5" or 8" Bazooka-type powered subwoofer placed in the rear, or under the bow.

Someday...

Don't put it under the bow, I made that mistake when I had my Vegas, and it slowed it down (a few mph :eek: ) , so I ended up just taking it back out, in fact I took the whole system out ;) had to keep it light ;)

Liqui-Fly
02-10-2004, 11:30 AM
The boat gives the ability to build systems the way they are supposed to sound (atleast according to Bose) with the soundfield in front of you. The system I have in my boat and had in some cars in the past was quite simple. In a boat you probably won't want to run separate components but could go with 2 high quality coaxial speaker speakers (MB Quart now available at Overtons and on Sale) in the 5.5 to 6.5 range. These could be mounted sort of under the deck and outboard on the boat. There are also many subwoofers out there in the 8" range that produce considerable punch and don't weigh a ton or require a box that does. JL Audio is my favorite. Anyway you fing an amp with triple Darlington output (common) and a passive crossover which allows the higher frequncies to go to the coax speakers and the lows to the sub. You'll get gobbs of sound and it won't be power hungry or heavy. Don't go crazy with the product names ( other than the JL). www.crutchfield.com has good products in all ranges. I've never had a problem with my non-marine CD player either. You shlold be able to set up a nice system for around these $$
Amp $75 - 100
Head unit - $100
Speakers $75-100
Sub woofer $80
Passive crossover $30
Wiring and Marine cover for head unit $75

David

RSM
02-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Whats the best type of antenna to use for signal strength?

Liqui-Fly
02-10-2004, 11:46 AM
I thionk and FM band is 30 something inches so anything more then that is useless and anything less requires a primo local or amplification. I've been meaning to put a power antenna on my rig but have a hard time spending $100 on an antenna that a buddy will end up breaking:).

mendo
02-11-2004, 05:03 PM
You can put the antenna under the dash, even laying it across just under the deck will work ok, long is good. The little rubber ones are almost useless. Laying just under the rail on the side is good too. The farther away from other wiring the better. As far as power antennas go, if you amplify a bad signal you get a stronger bad signal. You may get lucky and find that touching the antenna to a through hull fitting (bow eye, cleat, etc.) may give you excellent results. Just attach it so that it doesn't rattle. (personal experience)

Techno
02-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Since I'm a bit insane about woofers another option is to seal a part of the boat off, like the entire bow, and use 1 massive air driver there. Don't know about the weight but might be able to dock with it.