PDA

View Full Version : question on lifeline

big poppa pump
02-08-2004, 09:45 PM
i have a 24 skater wanted a jacket for radar suit.
jim arvis told me i need a capsule suit ,he said its better
and fits and rides better
whats yalls opinion???????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :eek:

Gordie Miller
02-08-2004, 10:39 PM
your boat has a capsule and belts then yes, the capsule jacket is your best choice. If you do not, a capsule jacket will do ZERO to protect you. If this is a normal open cockpit pleasure boat DO NOT wear a capsule jacket in it. I am a Lifeline dealer and 26 year racer currently running SST 120, I've run a capsule boat since 1990 and my statements are based on those qualifications.

BK
02-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Here's some history about capsule jackets:

When we first started using capsules, driver's could not use their regular race jackets because they were too bulky for the shoulder straps.

And since a driver strapped in a capsule didn't need to worry about impacting the side of the boat or other objects, they began to wear everyday standard ski vests.

But the ski vest actually was TOO bouyant for the drivers to swim out from under their sunken enclosed cockpits. And caused much difficulty for the rescue teams too.

Plus, these strapped in capsule occupants did not need much flotation anyway.....since the capsule had its own flotation, and rescue team could be there quickly.

About the only thing they offer is that they have a tiny bit of foam and are bright orange - so divers can find you fast.

So that's why capsule suits and jackets were developed.

They are certainly not any good as "life jackets".

Techno
02-09-2004, 04:53 PM
I don't know what a radar suit is but if the speed danger is there you need a full blown racing jacket. Since you asked my opinion. Fit and glitz don't matter.
Next is the lesser models from poker run to 100 mph or impact vest. The name is misleading and mostly meant to float a body and not be torn apart from the speed ( jacket not the person).
These types have only 2 good points, They are cheaper and they are more likely to be worn. Personaly if I blew $400+ on something I'm using it!
I've found my supposedly bulky race jacket to by totaly comfy for everday use. The only exception is low speed very high hot days.

There are more items needed. Helmet with a helmet restraint.
It depends on whether you want your body found, it's floating and not lost.
You want some protection and gambling on the rest. - no helmet or no impact protection in the jacket... willing to endure surgery that kind of thing.
As much as possible considering the level of technology.

If your standing in your skater there is an Offshore jacket with more padding at the bolsters. Supposed to help in this use.

Since there was just a post of a large boat in florida blowing over consider the need for protection.

BK & GM can expand on this as they both have used this stuff.

BK
02-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Techno

BK & GM can expand on this as they both have used this stuff.

And both frequently tested them, ....unfortunately ;)

BK
02-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Here's an example of the kind of trouble you could face:

rude tim
07-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Buy a god life jacket with impact padding and do not forget to hook up "all" the straps! My poker run Lifeline saved my life this year. I had all the straps hooked up except the helmet type strap located on the bottom of the life jacket. When I was recovered I was floating with the life jacket hanging on at my wrists with me under water. The impact broke the zipper, broke the center strap and un hooked both leg straps. You will not believe what the water can do when you hit it at speed! I recomend the race Lifeline. My 2 cents.

Rocket
07-23-2005, 08:34 PM
IMHO,,,,,,,,,, If you are going to be driving a boat over 75mph,,,,,,, Wear a REAL life jacke!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

http://www.lifelinejackets.com/llj_catalog_person1.jpg

It don't matter wether it's a Lifeline,,, or a SRP,,,,,, Just Wear it! And,,,,,Wear it,,, EACH and everytime you drive your boat out to of the harbor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your "LIFE" DEPENDS on it! ;)