PDA

View Full Version : rev limiter

skeeter175
05-03-2001, 08:35 PM
does anyone how to disconnect the rev limiter for a johnson fast strike 150. will this hurt the motor?

seacow
05-04-2001, 09:31 PM
can send pack to rapair/cdi and have removed

only hurt the motor if you turn too many r's, know for a fact a factory motor can stand 6800 daily, have customer than does it whenever on the water

[Edited by seacow on 05-04-2001 at 09:34 PM]

skeeter175
05-05-2001, 08:43 PM
what pack? where is it located?

seacow
05-06-2001, 09:56 PM
power pack is located at rear of the motor between both banks of cylinders, will have a plastic cover that is held on with 4 phillips screws to the motor and 2 phillips screws to a cover above it(cover will probaly say O/S 2000 or something like that). you will take that off and you will see the coils, you will take the 6 3/8 headed bolts out and remove the bolts to take off the coils,(just rememer that when you put them back on the blue stripe goes up and the green stripe goes down), you will then be looking at the power pack which just has two connectors at the top to remove. also remember when reassembling to put the metal plate back on, it is a RF shield that is very important.

alan knight
05-07-2001, 04:51 AM
OK bud here is the steps to remove the limiter on your eagle motor. 1.Orange and Black wire seperate and tape off 2.attach purple wire from rectifier to orange wire from pack 3.yellow and red wire cut and seperate 4.white and black wire from port head sensor,ground out. This will wire out the limiter in the motor and their is no need to send it to Rapair as they don`t fool with them. The motor will go in the 7000 range with no problem on a light boat. The motor will spool up faster than most any motor out their but will hit a rpm wall at the mid sevens in stock form due to the small chest area. hope this helps Alan

seacow
05-07-2001, 07:43 PM
allan, won't that also do away with quickstart, just curious? We have sent several to Rapair in the past year, dodn't know what they did with them but if what you say works it sounds good

alan knight
05-07-2001, 08:55 PM
I raced one of the motors last year and have studied them for several years with the posibility of its potential. The wiring I gave you will nullify the quick start and the SLOW features. I have never had a problem starting the motors even running them in the winter months. AS for the SLOW system you still have a warning horn in the control box for the head temp,low oil,and VRO failure,if you are nutty enough or should I say brave enough to leave oil injection functioning. I conversed with many OMC gurus about the motors as I was an OMC man, and still like them, for many years. The motor does not merit a lot of time and money for it will not hold its on against the rest of the pack sharing the same displacement of 2.6Liters. The big OMC looper will out breath it and this is the motor`s shortfall. This is mainly due as I said before with the small chest area. On a light boat such as 300 to 500lbs the motor will out spool most any and all stock production motors up to its potential. This is not brag but a tested fact. My buddy that drove my race boat last year has a J.Smith built 2.5 and he could not believe the incredible rate at which the motor will rev. note... Jay I aint saying this damn motor will hold a candle to your motors..just making a point of the spool up of the motor due to the pathway induction system. What brings the motor around is compression which in stock trim is what it doesn`t have. Talk to Monty,Alan Stoker, or Marvin@Evolution Marine and they will concur what I have told you.

alan knight
05-07-2001, 09:00 PM
Forgot to mention some conversations with Shawn at Rapair in the past about the OIS ingnition systems. Shawn said they don`t fool with the rebuilding of the packs and related components. He said they are working on a complete replacement unit that will be better than OEM. just a note Alan

skeeter175
05-08-2001, 01:42 PM
Alan, thanks for all the info. my motor is bone stock. what kind of compression should it have and what kind of upgrades or should i say how much of an upgrade of compression can i make without tearing into the motor or tearing it up. i am just a weekend worrior and i am looking to just have the best speed out of the boat i can. i am also looking for ways to increase rpm's in motor just by working on the motor. i already have a re-worked chopper on a 12" set-back just would like more rpm.

seacow
05-08-2001, 08:51 PM
alan, thanks for the info, sure thought we had been sending to rapair but must have been wrong, i need to ask our parts guru at work where they have been being sent to but i do like your short cut. i am an omc mechanic that truly loves this motor for the tremendous torque and reliability it has, once again thanks for the knowledge

leecj175
07-24-2015, 08:59 PM
I know this is an old thread. I read the information on here several times. I just was wondering if anyone had a little more detailed information on this. Thanks in advance.