PDA

View Full Version : My New Ferrari!!!!

sms
02-02-2004, 11:48 AM
WOW, AN ENZO!! I can hardly believe it! After many days of struggling with the aspects of spending this kind of cash, I finally gave in to the desires of my heart. Now it's all mine, even have the receipt to prove it!!!
(my car is the little one)

lhovan49
02-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Treat the little guy right, feed him well and take good care of him and someday he could growup to be a big Enzo :D

Raceman
02-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Neat picture. Where was it taken? My buddy with the F40 and a couple of other Ferraris was on the list for an Enzo, but I don't think the new wife is likin' the idea all that much, so it ain't lookin' real good right now. He also passed on the F50 when they came out for much the same reason. I guess some of us grow up and some of us don't.:D

I think all Ferraris are supposed to be red. No doubt that Ferrari doesn't agree, but it just doesn't seem right when they're another color.

Laker
02-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Black ones are cool too!

BarryStrawn
02-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Pulled up next to a nice fly yellow Enzo the other day in Sanford. Guy drove like a Grandma so it must not have been his. But we see lots of exotic stuff around here. Was setting in traffic next to a dark silver 575M the other day and didn't even notice it. Color made it almost invisible. Guy wanted to be stealthy I suppose.

We also have a large Lamborghini importer is in the neighborhood so you see those all the time. Not like the old days when a Muira would have cooked itself after 15 minutes in traffic.

sms
02-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Raceman
Neat picture. Where was it taken? My buddy with the F40 and a couple of other Ferraris was on the list for an Enzo, but I don't think the new wife is likin' the idea all that much, so it ain't lookin' real good right now. He also passed on the F50 when they came out for much the same reason. I guess some of us grow up and some of us don't.:D

I think all Ferraris are supposed to be red. No doubt that Ferrari doesn't agree, but it just doesn't seem right when they're another color.

I took this last friday here in Grand Rapids, Mi. at the annual new car show. They were really promoting heavily this year for the first show in the new Convention Center(I'm with the builder) so the Enzo was kind of a special draw. This car was actually allready sold however, the NHL's Federov bought it last fall. The dealer made arrangements with him to display it in their booth along with a 575 and two Maseratis.

Cobalti
02-03-2004, 08:05 AM
Like all Italian cars, they are beautiful, but unreliable. And, I'm Italian.

The little Enzo will give you far less trouble.

sms
02-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Raceman, this should get your heart going. Typical rush-hour traffic in dreamland.

Raceman
02-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Cobalti, I'd have to disagree on the reliability thing on Ferraris. We've pounded the brains out of the F40 on the tracks and it's never had a wrench on it except for scheduled service. I would guess I've got somewhere well in excess of 500 laps on it on two different tracks and the owner probably has close to that many although he prefers to dice his 355 with slicks and let me play with the F40 which is more stressful to drive. The 355 has slicks and although it doesn't have as many laps on the tracks, has more street mileage. It too has only had scheduled maintenance.

SMS, that is a stimulatiin' picture with 4 of Ferrari's best. Some people may mistake the car next to the back as a 318 or 328, but appears to be a 288 GTO which was a landmark car in it's day and arguably maybe the beginning of the Super Ferraris as far as street cars go. To have the 288 GTO, F40, F50, and Enzo in the same picture, especially on a highway is truly an unusual picture.

sms
02-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Yes, it is a GTO.. There is about 800 MPH worth of Ferraris here!

Raceman
02-04-2004, 06:46 PM
I've never had the chance to drive an F50, although a couple of em showed up several times at Ferrari Club events, they were kinda ticklish about who drove. I did get several right seat laps from a mediocre driver and left with a big preference for the F40 of my friend. Although it lacks the handling of the F40, the 288 GTO is a really neat car also, and I always thought my buddy would end up with one of those too, but I think he's cooled on it. I'm doggin' him on the Enzo and hope he'll come around sooner or later.

Raceman
02-04-2004, 06:48 PM
SMS, where was that picture taken.................. obviously at a Ferrari Club event somewhere?????

Raceman
02-04-2004, 11:52 PM
I'm convinced that the F40 will run over 200, but we've never found a stretch to do it. It's still pullin' like a Merc drag motor:D at 175.

sms
02-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Raceman
SMS, where was that picture taken.................. obviously at a Ferrari Club event somewhere?????

Photos are from the Cavallino Classic in West Palm Beach in January. A Thursday thru Sunday weekend of track, social and concourse events.

sms
02-05-2004, 08:40 AM
Hello, I'm calling to submit a claim:

Cobalti
02-05-2004, 08:50 AM
That has gotta hurt!!!

That has gotta be worth a few $$$$$$$$$!

Hope the parts don't take too long to come from Italy.

Raceman
02-05-2004, 01:57 PM
SMS, we went to Palm the year they had the FCA national convention at the Breakers. Doc only had a couple of days off call and we didn't get to make it to the track events, but it sure brought out the best of the best cars. I don't remember what year it was, but it was the introduction of the 333. Ferrari was floating a deal where they'd sell a car to somebody with a spare engine for a given price, then put it in the hands of a pre selected racer for a season. At the end of that time, the car would go back to Italy and be restored to new condition and surrendered to the owner. This was apparently to satisfy some rules concerning non factory ownership of WSC cars. I don't know how many 333's were done under those conditions, but Doc was offered the deal and we went to West Palm to look at the car and for him to decide. He ended up declining it and I've always been sorry. I would've been neat to have one of those to thrash around at the FCA track weekends.

Raceman
02-05-2004, 02:00 PM
It's hard to imagine that somebody's already done that kind of damage to an Enzo. I can't imagine what that would cost, but I know that in the early 90's the decklid and front lid for the F40 were around 40K EACH.

If that Enzo was mine I think I'd want to ship it back to Italy for repairs. Looks like a classic case of a low performance driver in a high performance car to me.

About 10 or 12 years ago a hotshot from South Carolina showed up at the FCA track event at Road Atlanta with a brand new Testarossa. These events don't have limits on driving during certain stages, but the do require that nobody competes with anybody else on the track. This guy was trying to race, instead of just enjoying high speed track time and was kind of trying to get some other cars to play with him. He got in over his head and lost the car on the back straight and it was one of the most destroyed cars I've ever seen that somebody lived through. There wasn't 6 inches square of straight sheetmetal on the car and the floor was buckled so bad the seats were shoved into the top. It also broke the transmission case and I think parts of the block and there was fluid all over the ground. 2 or 3 of the wheels were broken, and I think one corner of the suspension was off the car. We were told that when he was released from the hospital several hours later that he went straight to the airport and flew home, rather than returning to the track for anybody to see him. I was also told later that his insurance declined to pay since he was on a racetrack and he was out the 200K + that he'd just paid for the car.

sms
02-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Here's your 333. BTW, the Classic is still hosted at The Breakers.

Raceman
02-06-2004, 04:52 AM
I've only seen 1 333 run at a FCA track event. It belonged to Bob Rapp or Rupp from one of the Carolinas who had an extensive collection. I don't believe this particular one had any race history and was just bought new as a collectible. It seemed to require almost the support of an F1 car when they ran it, with remote batteries that plugged in the side and a lot of monitoring on start up. It was far from an unload/crank and go to say the least. It was however VERY impressive from a power standpoint.

The other car that I got real crazy over was the F40 LM. It too was a support type car. It was about 7/8 the size of the regular F40 and I think they only made about 8 of em. Even with the huge slicks by comparison to the F40's treaded tires, a friend who got to drive it around Road Atlanta said the tires didn't begin to hold it when it started boosting. I think he said the horsepower was over 750 in an under 2500 lb car. The Atlanta dealer who also owns Mississippi owned it at the time and maybe still does.

laser
02-06-2004, 05:20 AM
Hey Raceman, you and Doc can bring that F40 up my way anytime. I'll show you lots and lots of places to wind 'er up.

Montana.....36,000 miles of highway and I believe something like 30 or so Highway patrolmen at any given time to cover it.:D

Actually I don't really condone driving on public roads recklessly. (Unless its me)
But there really are stretches of road around here that are in excellent condition, have minimal traffic and in the right conditions can be traveled at a very high rate of speed safely.:cool:

sms
02-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Raceman,

To see all the new and classic street and race cars at this years event (including your F40 LM) go to www.ferrarichat.com

Use their search button in the upper right corner and search for "cavallino photos" The best thread was by user red-riot on 1-31-04.

BTW, just who is your buddy Doc, and what does he do exactly? You guys definately have some tough toys!

Raceman
02-06-2004, 10:40 AM
SMS, my friend is a Neuro Surgeon. He never got married until he was 48 and 4 years later has a 2 year old to go with all the other priorities of a new wife. She doesn't care for the car stuff very much, so it's been on the back burner for about 5 years or more with them. The plus side is that he's adding another 12 car garage to the present 12 car capacity, so maybe there's some hope for resurected interest.

I'm curious about your connection also. Are you an FCA member? I was for years, but didn't renew when we quit going to the 2 annual track events in this area. I've always planned on sellin' off some of the other old cars and buyin' an F40, but the associated costs of owning one are staggering unless it's never run, uninsured and not tagged. I expect the tag for one here would cost 4 to 5K annually, and those scheduled service deals are mega bucks too. Doc used to be real generous with letting other people drive his cars at the track events, especially under the touring class restrictions (track sessions with speed limits between the "sport" sessions with no limits) One of his other doctor buddies who thought he was a car guy went with us once and backed the old 348 into a bank coming on the back straight at RA and did about 20K damage, so since then nobody drives the cars except him or me or an instructor. We haven't been to a track weekend in over 5 years now, but he keeps saying he wants to go again.

sms
02-10-2004, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raceman
[B]SMS, my friend is a Neuro Surgeon. He never got married until he was 48 and 4 years later has a 2 year old to go with all the other priorities of a new wife. She doesn't care for the car stuff very much, so it's been on the back burner for about 5 years or more with them. The plus side is that he's adding another 12 car garage to the present 12 car capacity, so maybe there's some hope for resurected interest.

I'm curious about your connection also. Are you an FCA member? I was for years, but didn't renew when we quit going to the 2 annual track events in this area.

Raceman,
Likewise, I maintained my FCA membership for years but am currently expired. Must renew before the U.S. Grand Prix to get in on all the goodies this summer!
Here is my first "real" Ferrari from around '95 or so. I've had two others since, between cars right now. (but always looking)

Raceman
02-10-2004, 03:59 PM
I've never owned one, but have had access to his stuff since we became friends. He had a 308 Quatro and an early Testarossa when I met him, and later bought a 512BBI, a Daytona Spyder (conversion) a 348, 355 and the F40. He's down to just the 355 and F40 now, but I really expect there'll be more in the not to distant future and I've been lobbying hard for the Enzo. He's also threatened to buy a Dino for 15 years or so, but I can't figure out exactly why.

I've had several close calls in the F40 and they've made me a little less interested in driving somebody else's wheels hard. I spun it once comming off of #7 at Road Atlanta (anti freeze on the track from another car and I'm stickin' to that:D) but was able to do the full 360, gather it back up and go on with no real damage except the grass kinda ate the lower lip on the front spoiler. I also almost got a dog chasing a deer across the back straight at Roebling Road in Savannah at about a hundred (me, not the dog and deer) It'd be hard to pull somebody else's car back in the pits with a $40K front bonnet busted up.

We've had some really good times at the Ferrari club events.

CDave
02-10-2004, 04:12 PM
That's gotta bite wrecking an Enzo like that. The driver should invest in a few driving schools ASAP!

I seem to have read somewhere that to stay in good standing with Ferrari a wreck like that has to go to Italy for repair.

sms
02-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by CDave
That's gotta bite wrecking an Enzo like that. The driver should invest in a few driving schools ASAP!

I seem to have read somewhere that to stay in good standing with Ferrari a wreck like that has to go to Italy for repair.

CDave, At least the luggage is salvaged! I think it will go to the factory if it will be saved, or at least have close factory support during the rebuild at an authorized dealership.
If it gets parted out, maybe we can all go together and buy the motor!

A dealer in Miami is trying to get in on this one, I just so happen to be going down there on thursday thru sunday this week.
I'll try to get the story on HOW DID THIS HAPPEN! and what the plan is. So far they're keeping the chassis # pretty quiet.

sms
02-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Another angle.

Raceman
02-10-2004, 09:24 PM
I'd like to hear the details too. I'm sure about 200K will fix it right up.

You goin' to the boatshow SMS? We're thinkin' about it too.