PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Flames

Darrin Baxter
01-29-2004, 06:39 AM
Anybody ever painted any ghost flames on anything.

Thanks Darrin

Vector77
01-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Anybody ever painted any ghost flames on anything.

The Eliminator 21 that I got from Rickracer has them. Their neat.
Call him for the painter.

Bob Drye

Talon2.5
02-17-2004, 03:56 PM
yep, darrin whatcha wanna know?

vector77 i painted those flames on your boat, i have pics of it i can post for ya later, the guy that owned it never did the color sanding and buffing when we were done shooting it, thats imron paint thats on it

skip

Vector77
02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Skip:
Thanks for the offer but Rick gave me some pictures of the painting process when I picked up the boat. It now has a new Leberator red interior, new gas tanks, and a 300PM. I'll post some pictures of it next week or so.

Bob Drye

Talon2.5
02-17-2004, 05:04 PM

look forward to seeing the pics of the new interior!! :cool:

Darrin Baxter
02-17-2004, 06:39 PM
How hard is it to lay out the flames..I am not worried about the painting part just the layout.

Thanks Darrin

Talon2.5
02-17-2004, 06:58 PM
it's how good of an artistic eye ya have and hand eye coordination, patience and so on

start in the center and work your way out and you hold the option of making them any way ya want, they dont have to be alike on both sides, even on the deck they can be however ya want

get some quality stripe painting tape at the local car paint store and after ya have the flames layed out, use masking tape and paper to tape it all off

get a sample of a flame you like and keep it handy to refer to but mostly it's all in the artistic ability of the taper and the ability to manipulate the tape in a smooth fluent way so not to get "wiggly" with the flame outline

i was talking with lamar from appolo imaging on this just this past sunday when a few of us went to see action17
he was saying there is a new vinyl that can be cut by the vinyl lettering computer people that can be used for what we are talking about here and help with all being cut and none of the layout has to be done by hand, sounded pretty interesting

Hottrucks
03-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Hey you Dog (say Hi to Wendy for us) you didn't say anything about doing flames when I saw you last week. I just got my powerhead on and am starting to do the tear down before paint now!!:eek: I wanted to do ghost flames on mine.Black ghost over aqua teal metalic leaving the section under the rub rail white along with the bottom ,dash and splash well. :cool: so If I understand this you can do the lay out :confused: I can Blow the paint on I just don't have that artistic side to do the layout that side of me got his ass kicked back in 83 I think and has left the building for good

Techno
03-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Friskit. The air brush artists use this plastic stuff for masks but it won't do a 3 dimensional curve.
Also have spray on friskit which washes off.
Friskit stuff can be cut so you get a mirror image cut them out back to back or trace onto it. I was going to do my eyes this way but... things happen.
Never understood why you would want a mirrored flame anyway.

If you do the tape method I recommend taping off just one little flame piece and doing the masking. Just a foot or so. You'll be amazed at the amount of back pain that is required. Being prepared is better than getting that annoyed at how something so small became so big. The tiny little black stripes on my boat became a day long job and nearly killed me.
Surprise!

Darrin do a search with Talons name. Hes the FLAMER . Should be plenty of examples pop up.

dsmurphy
03-31-2004, 07:08 PM
"Painthead" South West Florida does ghost stuff (flames or what have you).

He's got his vector posted here... now he's working on several other boats.

He's a hot-rod painter by hobby, but has recently discovered H20 and now is getting into custom paint for boats.

I don't know if he's got his email posted here, but if anyone needs to contact him... he's my neighbor and you get reach me here:

dsmurphy3@comcast.net

SKATER241
04-23-2004, 12:20 PM
I MANAGE A BODY SHOP AND AM A PAINTER BY TRADE.I DID MY SKATER LAST YEAR AND SOME OF THE THINGS I DID WOULD BE REALLY HARD TO DUPLICATE SIDE TO SIDE.I HAVE A FORMER EMPLOYEE WHO GOT INTO THE VINYL GRAFFICS BUSINESS AND POSED MY PROBLEM TO HIM.HE TOOK MY IDEAS AND PUT THEM INTO HIS COMPUTER AND CUT ME SOME STENCILS.THESE LOOKED LIKE THEY WERE CUT FROM WINDSHIELD TINTING MATERIAL BUT WERE CUT FROM A TYPE OF VINYL USED FOR PAINT STENCILS.IT WORKED AWESOME.IF YOU CAN APPLY VINYL GRAPHICS YOU CAN USE THIS PRODUCT.IF YOU WANT CHECK OUT HIS WEBSITE AT
WWW.MOBILECUSTOMS.COM
THERE SHOULD BE PEOPLE IN YOUR AREA THAT CAN DO THIS FOR YOU TO BUT DOUG IS A HELL OF AN ARTIST AND VERY EASY TO WORK WITH.HOPE THIS HELPS

Cp
04-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Any pix, skater241? :)

SKATER241
04-23-2004, 12:56 PM
MY BOAT IS THE LAST POST IN THE READER RIDES SECTION UNDER GENERAL DISCUSSION.I DID ALL OF THE LETTERING WITH STENCILS AND SOME OF THE GRAPHICS ON THE TOP HULL.