PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat Restoration

fantastixvoyage
01-26-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm looking to make my boat look new. Doesn't look bad just lacks a little of the luster since new. What can be done to gelcoats? I'm thinking maybe wet sanding but is there a better route?

The boat is white.

Also, I was thinking of removing the decals and I'd imagine there will be slight dis-coloration. Is there anything to correct this?

baja200merk
03-05-2004, 06:30 PM
i would sand it with like 14-1600 grit wet sand paper or polishing compound it like hell

just got done wet sanding the baja with 300 cause im gonna clear it now came out great

just my .02

kevin:D

Bruster
03-05-2004, 06:36 PM
400 on the bad spots, followed by 600 . On the rest of the boat I used 1000, 1500 and 2000. Use a lot of water with a little dish soap. The sandpaper will wear out quick, buy plenty. After the 2000 polish with a foam pad and Maguires Diamond Cut. A lot of work, but it looks great.

BTW it is important to sand all the way to the 2000. If you stop at say 1500 the posishing is a LOT more work. 2000 starts to make the boat shine again.

Bruster
03-05-2004, 06:40 PM
:D

Bruster
03-05-2004, 06:41 PM
:)

j.iverson
03-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Nice! What was your secret on the interior, or was it redone?
Also, is there a particular wax you like to use to maintain this new look?

Bruster
03-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by j.iverson
Nice! What was your secret on the interior, or was it redone?
Also, is there a particular wax you like to use to maintain this new look?

The interior was redone, I took the seats apart, what there was of them, and used the original frames for patterns. The new plywood frames were epoxy coated and a local 22 year old Omish guy did the cuttin' and stichin', streachen it over new foam padding. The work is just perfect.

The boat is this shiny when you finish polishing. I have several coats of Meguires Gold to keep everything sealed up.

Bruster
03-08-2004, 09:53 PM
:D

baja200merk
03-08-2004, 10:07 PM
that ribbed vynal looks great:eek: !

Ken Howard
03-12-2004, 01:18 PM
This is the post I was looking for last night. Check it out. Great job on the gel coat and interior. This guy should post the name and phone number if the omish guy that did the interior. He really did a great job.

Thunderduck
03-12-2004, 01:46 PM
3M Microcompound & Wax!!!

MirageSmack
04-16-2004, 10:14 PM
"This guy should post the name and phone number if the omish guy that did the interior"

I didn't think that they had phones?!

baddjonny
04-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Buy a quart of penatrol it's a paint product just wipe on let sit a few min and buff off really does a nice job with Very little effort and no sanding , compounding , grinding etc . lasts about 6-8 weeks.

my day's good deed
jon b

stanton
04-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Where can I find out more on Penatrol? How long have you been using it and on what?

baddjonny
04-20-2004, 09:35 AM
any paint store about $8-10 a quart really does a good job on faded jelcote several friends have been using it for years on there 20 year old boats.

jon b

ps
Won't make like new but like I said for a quick easy fix that dosen't cost much or take much work I'm all for it.

SKATER241
04-23-2004, 01:22 PM
PENETROL WILL LEAVE AN OILY FILM ON YOUR HULL AND WHEN THAT IS GONE SO IS THE SHINE.DONT CARE MUCH FOR THE PRODUCT.COLOR SANDING AND BUFFING IS THE WAY TO GO.IT IS A LOT OF WORK BUT YOUR FINISHED PRODUCT WILL LAST.ONE WORD OF ADVICE IF YOU DO THIS.GET SOME HIGH QUALITY MARINE WAX AND APPLY AS A LAST STEP.ONCE YOU'VE DONE THE BUFFING THERE IS NOTHING TO PROTECT THE FINISH SO WHEN MR SEAGULL FLIES OVER AND DROPS A BLESSING IT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO LEAVE A STAIN.JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Boz
04-23-2004, 01:33 PM
I did a 3M 3 stage compound/polish/wax a couple of years ago and it turned out awesome. The only drawback was that rain and water marks left stains on the deck. Why?

Firestarter
04-23-2004, 02:09 PM
If you want the ultimate finish ( I used to do this professionally, and still do some on the side ), start with sandpaper, wet and a little sunlight soap, start with 400 if it is really bad, then to 600, 800, 1000, 1200. If you skip a step, it will just take longer to remove the scratches from the previous step.
The next step it to get Aqua Buff 1000, and 2000. This is the best product on the market for a compound. This product you keep wet with a spray bottle of water and keep working it with a HIGH speed buffer ( 3000 rpm ), use a wool/synthetic pad with 1000, then to 2000 at the same high speed and water with a pure wool pad. If your gel is not to bad, you can just use the Aqua buff. After this, the most awsome product to bring the finish up is Meguires #3 Professional Machine glaze, use a low speed buffer ( 1000 rpm ) and a foam pad. And finally seal it with Meguires #26 Hi-Tech Yellow wax. I like 3M sand paper, and 3M pads.
This finsh will be better than new, but from the full wet sand to final wax, on a 20' boat will take the better part of 3 days. But trust me the results are worth it, as it will be show quality.

RT

SKATER241
04-23-2004, 02:12 PM
BECAUSE YOU OPENED UP THE PORES,SO TO SPEAK,OF THE GEL COAT.A GOOD QUALITY WAX AS A FINAL STEP WILL LESSEN THIS DRAMATICALLY.IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE STUFF YOU USED HAS A POLISH OR GLAZE AS A FINAL STEP.USUALLY THIS TYPE OF PRODUCT WILL ONLY LAST FOR ABOUT 4-6 WEEKS WHERE WAX SHOULD HOLD UP FOR A SEASON.

fantastixvoyage
04-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Is color sanding really that straight forward? I've been thinking of doing this myself but was hesitant as I know professionals in any field can make it look easy. i ain't sandin' a piece of wood here!

Might just have to give it a shot!

Boz
04-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Cool info; thanks!

Firestarter
04-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Yes it is really that straight forward. You will need A LOT of paper, and only go in one direction with it, ( fore and aft ). Becareful on curves and edges as you can go through, consider that gel is only 20 thousands think.... or so. Depending on how bad the boat is I would start with the Aqua Buff 1000. IF it is not enough go to the paper, it is rare that you need to go past 600 grit.
Once you get to Agua Buff 2000 the finsh will start to come up, and #3 Meguires it will be awsome, the wax is just a sealer..... and I would wax it 2- 3 times after the process is done to really seal it.

RT

Let me know if you need any more help..... it you are careful and take the time, and it is A LOT of time, you will be pleased. To do it with professional products will cost a few hundred in paper and compounds and polishes, not including the cost of the high and low speed buffers.

SKATER241
04-23-2004, 02:37 PM
COLOR SANDING GEL COAT IS FAIRLY SIMPLE.PAINT IS A WHOLE OTHER MATTER AND UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING YOU CAN REALLY DO SOME DAMAGE WITH PAINT.GEL COAT ON THE OTHER HAND IS FAIRLY THICK,COMPARED TO PAINT.WITH COLOR SANDING GEL COAT THE FINER THE PAPER YOU FINISH WITH THE LESS POLISHING YOU WILL HAVE TO DO.YOU WANT TO STAY AWAY FROM SHARP EDGES AS THESE WILL HAVE A TENDENCY TO BURN THROUGH EASIER.SOAP IN THE WATER ACTS AS A LUBRICANT AND MAKES THE SAND PAPER LAST LONGER BUT BUY A LOT OF SAND PAPER.AFTER YOU STARTED YOU WILL GET A FEEL FOR WHEN THE PAPER STARTS TO WEAR OUT OR QUIT CUTTING.THE MORE EXPENSIVE PAPERS LAST LONGER.FOR CONTOURED AREAS USE A SANDING SPONGE AS THIS WILL SHAPE THE PAPER TO THE CONTOUR BETTER THAN YOUR HAND AND ALSO HOLDS MOISTURE.I HAVE DONE SOME VERY HEAVILY OXIDIZED BOATS IN THE PAST AND HAD THEM COME OUT LOOKING NEAR NEW WHEN DONE.ON GEL COAT YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM DOING THIS YOURSELF.IF YOU WERE TO BRING YOUR HULL TO A BODY SHOP LIKE MINE AND HAVE IT PROFESSIONALLY DONE IT WOULD COST BIG BUCKS.FIGURE ON A TWENTY FOOT V HULL YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE THIRTY HOURS INTO IT BY THE TIME YOU ARE DONE BUT IT WILL BE WELL WORTH THE EFFORT

blkmtrfan
04-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Firewalker
The next step it to get Aqua Buff 1000, and 2000. RT

RT what is this stuff, where do you get it, and what does it look like, thanks Scott

Firestarter
04-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Skater 241, made a very good point, gel is easyer. and that good paper will be worth it. And I forgot to mention the sanding sponge part.... that is key.
It takes a lot of time, I charged $75 a foot canadian.

RT

Firestarter
04-23-2004, 02:44 PM
http://www.aqua-buff.com/site/478459/page/45029

Try that link.

And trust me on this stuff. It is unreal. I just showed a friend how to do all this on a dark coloured Cobalt, and he is shocked at how good it looks.

Also trust me on the Meguires #3 Professional Machine Glaze, and #26 Hi-Tech Yellow wax

RT

blkmtrfan
04-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the link Rob, I am going to have to try some, I am familar with the Meguires stuff, use it quite a bit

Firestarter
04-23-2004, 03:13 PM
That is what scream and fly is all about.

RT

blkmtrfan
04-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Firewalker
That is what scream and fly is all about.

RT

I couldn't agree more, what an awsome resource :cool:

baddjonny
04-24-2004, 11:17 AM
45 min work versis 4 to 10 hours work both shine one will last longer but as I said penatrol is a quick EASY fix. If you don't like the penatrol any thinner and a little dishwashing liquid and your back to square one . now both sides of the fence are served.

jon b

poot25
05-28-2004, 07:43 PM
hey guys just wondering if any one has ever heard of or used fountain of youth products?I done a search and found them,their results looked great on their site! kind of pricey though,thanks and love the site

marcus10
08-15-2006, 10:56 PM
So where can I buy some aqua buff? I work in service at a car dealership and our bodyshop uses nothing but 3m so I have access to all the buffers and rubbing compounds that 3m has but is it worth the trouble? My boat is an older boat but has been kept inside all of its life but it has lost a little of the shine. I am going to start on it this winter but I don't really want to sand it unless I have to. Am I wasting my time skipping this step? thanks:confused:

Racemore
08-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Duratec and aquabuff products, Hawkeye Industries. www.duratec1.com

They will list distributors in your area.

y2kstang
08-23-2006, 09:00 PM
marcus,

The 3M compounds are all that I have ever used and never had any problems getting insane levels of shine on either paint or gelcoats. I am sure the aquabuff is a great product as well but I find it hard to justify if you have free 3M readily available. Both essentially will cut, I suppose there would be a difference in the type of abrasives they are using but in the end they are both abrasive and funtion the same way.