PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Nitromethane guru's out there.

JTS Racing
05-03-2001, 05:07 PM
I have a fueler buddy that would like to see a "Top Fuel" outboard. I mean one with 50% or better mix. The catch is I know only a little of the mystery juice and he knows even less as applied to 2 strokes.
Has anyone ran one of the later Merc 2.5EFI Drag engines on Nitro?? If so, would you be willing to tell the results and what percent of mix you took it to? I know we can make it work with carbs and a spray system simular to nos enrichment. Just curious if the EFI will handle the juice and its solvent type properties.

05-03-2001, 09:08 PM
I've heard some dirt bike guys use it but only in very small percentages (2-5%). Its really the ticket as you probably know. It carries its own oxygen so its actually a form of supercharging. Those nitro guys wash parts with gas, drink the alcohol and run nitro for fuel! ;)

johnnyracer
05-03-2001, 09:38 PM
Try Daryle Lane at boat works. They play with that stuff.

JTS Racing
05-04-2001, 09:44 PM
CH3NO2 is one of the best fuels out there. A little on the expensive side, but no more than running NOS. It is also one of the most misunderstood fuels for 2 cycle use. Unlike NOS that adds power with increased rpm's, Nitro adds torque with little increase in the top rpm. Top fuel boats will often run slower in mph than the Alkies, but will produce up to 1/2 sec quicker ET's. It's this flooding of fuel at the high rpm, high compression, and high timing that causes the damage that most associate with Nitro. But isn't torque what 2cycles are lacking on take off and through the lower part of the band?? R/C modelers have used the stuff for years and those little engines last a long time! But think about it, they are "glow" engines that don't rely on spark timing. ??? Those that I have talked to premix it into the main tank at up to 20+%. We are looking at running on Alky and spraying pure Nitro with a system simular to NOS enrichment. This allows a power curve that can be varied with a controller. Combined with lower timing & compression, the engine would have a more controlled shut down and the juice is dropped once max rpm is reached. Plus your not running at max rpm with max timing. Another no-no with Nitro and 2 cycles.

My question is how do ya think the EFI brains will react to the lower timing, and the sudden rush of heat and rpm increase????? If I have to carb it I will. I know how it works with 4 strokes and the principles are not that different. MCP, PCP, blow down, timing, etc.... Just needing some input from some of you up to date, modern tech's on EFI habits.

Rodney Nance
05-05-2001, 02:33 AM
Hydro I think it's neat that you are thinking about injecting Nitro into a outboard drag boat as I have had the same thoughts. One difference I see is that I was leaning toward doing it in the Pro Fuel class where Nitrous is not legal. One drawback in running it in the unlimited class is that the Nitrous guy's are going to stay on the button the entire 1/4 mile. I have learned over the years to never say that something can't be done but to run that big of a percentage for as long as the engine will take it and then hang on till the finish line might take a hell of a lot of part's to perfect. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but the heat and pressure nitro generates is hell to deal with when you have billet parts and only have to make one pass and then get to go to the pit's to cool down and make repairs. Mercury's parts are far from billet the head bolt's are to far apart and you will have to make several passes in a row. I'm not saying it cant be done but it won't be easy. But hell if it was everyone would do it!

T-REX
05-05-2001, 08:27 AM
Talk to Chris Ray bout tha Nitro thang...I ain't say'in he's no Guru, but I do know that Nitro haz tore up a bunch of parts fer him!! Now it also haz put him in the winners circle too, so U jus gotta figer out how much money ya want ta spend and how bad ya wanta use tha acid/ i mean Nitro...Chris uses in excess of 20% and it sounds like theres a monkey inside hiz motor wit 2 ballpeen hammers...it beat so bad in MtPleasant on the return to the start barge, that I fell back a couple hundred feet so them big ole parts wouldn't hit my boat when dey turned loose...Call Eddie Hill, he's up to snuff on Nitro and boats, he's a nice guy, he'll help ya out(He'll probably tell ya to start golf'in)...REX

Scream And Fly
05-05-2001, 08:59 AM
I run Nitro in my radio controlled car - okay, I just had to throw that one in.

- Greg

JTS Racing
05-05-2001, 11:31 AM
Thanks Greg:). I raced pylons with Quickie 500 several years ago then moved to Formula 1. Da little formula engine was comsuming better than a 50% mix. Raced it for 2 years and I still have that engine. It is still capable of racing and has only been re-ringed once. Theres a lot of difference in porting and such with it than a std quickie engine. CC is the same. This is just an idea and I'm learning from a couple fuelers. They think its cool, but like the rest of us beleive it will be hard to deal with. Got a e-note last night from a well versed engine builder that said he would love to experiment some with the 2 strokes on tha juice. This may never lead anywhere. But missed the start of this years season, so what the hect, never know till ya try:cool: With todays advances in software and some of the new tricks...well...jus maybe:D.

T-REX
05-05-2001, 07:01 PM
Now ya'll boys go ta cutt'in an OB like them lil Nitro motors and ya may az well stay home cuz it wont unload ofen tha trailer...them lil Japs got their stuff together on the single hole mota's...theys a few thangs U can do to improve crankcase volume, to turn a bigger diameter prop(boats), but hell at 30,000rpm...what mo can ya ax fer...REX

JTS Racing
05-06-2001, 11:06 AM
Shoot Rex, Dat was de plan. If'n I could get da 30,000 rpm, I'd be glad to run a .......7 pitch????:D

Oh yea, forgot, me little Formula putter is Italian not Jap;).

[Edited by Hydro.... on 05-06-2001 at 11:08 AM]