PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Ship An Outboard ?

BOOTS
01-20-2004, 02:47 PM
HELLO,
MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP. I HAVE TO SHIP A MARINER 3 LITER OUTBOARD FROM LONG ISLAND TO CALIFORNIA. IT WEIGHS APPROX. 550 LBS. WHO IS BEST TO USE TO SHIP THIS ENGINE ? ANY ESTIMATES ON PRICE WOULD BE GREAT ALSO.THANKS
CARL
BOOTS2474@AOL.COM

Winger Ed.
01-25-2004, 12:22 AM
You might be able to scrounge up a original factory packing crate for one at a boat dealer if you're not in too big a hurry.

Other wise, you'll probably have to build a plywood crate for it. If so, get some plastic trash bags, shoot some aerosol foam into them, place them around the engine to use for padding. I'd strap the crate on a pallot too. As heavy as that thing is, the dock crews will want to move it around with a forklift if possible.

You might even take the cowling off and pack it seperately so it doesn't get dinged up so easily.

As far as shipping, get out the phone book and try to make your best deal. Also call the moving companies, Atlas, Bekins, etc. used to ship big stuff like that on a 'space available' basis pretty cheap.

If possible, get someone you know that deals with a freight company regularily to get it into the system. If you call for a one time only sort of deal, you'll get greatly over charged quite often.

For example:
I got a 900 lb. safe a few years ago, the shipping on it was $75 from Utah to Texas.

A little while later, I wanted to ship a (150lb or so)car transmission to the East Coast. The best deal I could find at the time was $500.

Travis Fulton
01-25-2004, 11:38 PM
gggeeeeeeeeee they really stick it to the 1 time deal guy????

try yello trucking co. they ship all over

Ally 1988
01-26-2004, 07:56 PM
It would be worth atleast giving them a call.