PDA

View Full Version : "Sensation of Speed on Water"

BK
05-03-2001, 11:20 AM
Can anyone help me here? I'm trying to find a website that gives the formulation of speed sensations from different vehicles -- land, air and water. Mostly the differences between the sensations of water vs land.
Can anyone help me out with this?
There is a discussion on the rec.boat.racing.power Usenet newsgroup where someone says

Ken Warby
05-03-2001, 11:33 AM
B.K.
I have gone over 300 mph in a boat,
over 300 mph in a jet dragster,
over 300 mph in a jet Funny Car'
210 mph in a jet road tractor (Ford LTL900).
Check em out on http://www.kenwarby.com
And I am yet to find UNOBTAINIUM!!!!!
All the above things (except UNOBTAINIUM) give totally diferent sensations.
UNOBTAINIUN......Well...I'll let you know when I find it!!!
What else do you need to know??????
PS.. I also fly a Cessna 172 and have been through the sound barrier in a jet fighter and haven't found it up there either.

[Edited by Ken Warby on 05-03-2001 at 11:38 AM]

Balzy
05-03-2001, 11:59 AM
you are as true an Amigo as it gets..... You WILL get the title of the Funniest Man on Water" yet. You might as well do up your signiture here as "The Funniest Amigo" right now. You have earned the honor. BTW, Steve will be here this afternoon thru Sunday. We will be on an UNOBTANIUM hunt. We will let you know if we get any leads. LOL at KW.

BK
05-03-2001, 12:04 PM
That's some resume' Ken! :D

Now the question: Which one *felt* the fastest?

;D......;D

Ken Warby
05-03-2001, 01:19 PM
BK<
By far, the fastest sensation,most scariest,yet most satisfying is on water.
The surface that you are running on is alive and moving all the time.One bit of chop out of sequence with with the rest and you are in for a wild ride.
However ....never having found UNOBTAINIUN as yet, it could have a fastest and wildest sensation too !!!!!!

Scott
05-03-2001, 01:35 PM
:D I thought I had a line on UNOBTAINIUM, but it had nothing to do with the sensation of speed. Though it was sensation related. It had to do with an extreemly curvaceous blue eyed blonde by the name of Kelly at my local adult beverage dispensary. (Hooters, Baltimores' Inner Harbor) Definitely UNOBTAINIUM !!

BK
05-03-2001, 01:47 PM
THANKS KEN! May I post this info on the Newsgroup? (Not the UNOBTANIUM stuff, of course) :D May I have your permission?

Ken Warby
05-03-2001, 02:19 PM
BK.
You may

BK
05-03-2001, 04:30 PM
Thank you, Ken. :D

Your reply was of great benefit to me, as I'm in a debate with a guy on the rec.boats.racing.power newsgroup, who says there is no difference in speed sensation between a vehicle on land and one on water. I know better.

When I disagreed, he said my opinion was bogus and unsupported.

But now, obviously, it IS supported; And who better to support this theory than KEN WARBY!! LOL

Thanks to you, BK is now "Supported"!!!!! (but still without UNOBTAINIUM)

How about some UNOBTRAINIUM?

Techno
05-03-2001, 04:57 PM
I have some UNOBTAINIUM 238 but I can't ship any because it's half life is so short. It keeps changing into OBTAINIUM 201 and as every one knows is a useless element.

The sensation of speed on the SR71 doesn't exist and the fastest man has evergone had no sensation, other than fear and exhilleration-Apollo 13. Just my opinion but the smoother the ride and the less indicators moving past, the less the sensation.

Fl Boy in ILL
05-03-2001, 05:37 PM
BK
I have driven a car on a 2 lane road 160MPH and was still climbing(ran outa road) and I have driven a Hydrostream >100mph and there was no comparison to me, sensation felt faster on the water. This has something to do with the openness and the wind. Hopefully next week I be in the 110to teen range with my new ALLY.

Rick C

TUG
05-03-2001, 09:37 PM
THE FASTEST IVE BEEN ON LAND IS 155MPH ON A SUZUKI KATANA 1100 BACK IN 1990. THE FASTEST IVE BEEN IN A BOAT IS 115MPH SO FAR AND THE SENSATION OF 115 ON WATER FAR SURPASSES WHAT I FELT AT 155 ON THE FREEWAY! I DO RUN ON A RIVER THOW, I'M SURE OUT IN OPEN WATER MIGHT HAVE A DIFFERENT AFFECT BUT THE FREEWAY AND THA RIVER IS ABOUT THE SAME WIDTH, AINT NOTHIN LIKE FLYING ACROSS WATER AT 100+ NO DOUT ! COULDNT IMAGINE WHAT 300+ FEELS LIKE!!( KEN YOU DU MAN !!)

Shep
05-04-2001, 12:56 AM
120 on snow over 12" to 18" moguls gets your attention, but h2o at 100 with 15 others for 30 laps is 10 times more demanding. 300 on h2o must keep you high on adrennilen for eons.

Greg Moss
05-04-2001, 06:08 AM
Bk I remember watching an unlimited race on TV once, Chip Hanhour was still running the Bud boat, and he took Rick Mears for a ride in it at close to 200. Mears had quite a few comments about how much faster 200 felt on water than in an Indy car. Can not remember what show it was on but if you had it it would definnally help your descussion.

Jeff
05-04-2001, 07:29 AM
I haven't been at the speeds some of you have.....but I have two comments:
1) one of the most exhilerating sensations I can remember is travelling at 40 mph in a small hydro - similar to 80+ in a larger boat
2) I think the sensation in a boat is 3 dimensional - rather than really only 2 dimensional in a land craft. I would say that travelling on water is similar to flying a small plane a few feet off the land at high speed - the thrill is proportional to the risk experienced.

TTriton
05-04-2001, 10:27 PM
The closer you are to the surface the less suspension and the more wind all add to the speed sensation. I've been 160 in my Buick Grand National which didn't feel that fast compared to 110mph in a STV of a friend. Even 65 in my crummy little Skeeter feels like I'm really moving. 70 mph on my Ultra 150 Kawasaki JetSki feels unbelivably fast. Sorry guy I have a PWC. But I'm a very causious rider. NEVER get close another boat to many stories of people being run over. But I've been 125 in a Fully canopied offshore race race boat but and that wasn't that bad. The canopy really lowers the sensation of speed. Plus it was just during a test run on flat calm water. I'm sure during a race in 4 foot seas would increase the sensation alot. So who ever says the sensation is the same over land and water is full of something. Or he might be driving a lowrider mini truck with the windsheld removed.

Raceman
05-05-2001, 09:10 AM
I think as Ken pointed out, the fact that the water is live makes the sensation of speed much faster. I'm sure the sensation of flying caused by the floating of the boat adds to it too. Also the position of the driver. The fastest sensation of speed I recall on the water was in Noah Legear's Broughton formula 1 boat in the early 80's. The boat probably ran about 120, but being a pre capsule boat and looking straight down at the water rushing under me was a lot different sensation than the fast V's I was runnin at the time. Those boats even felt a lot faster than about the same speed in an STV today where the water isn't visible. (sitting down in the MOD VP deck I can't see the sponson tips) Having driven probably 500 or more laps at Road Atlanta over several years of Ferrari Club track events in buddy's F 40 would be my fastest land experience. On the old track, before it was reconfigured that car would carry over 175 MPH down through the dip on the back straight. The extreme G's of hitting the bottom in a slight left hand turn at those speeds is indescribeable. The Nissan GTP cars were blowing tires in the same place because of the downforce of the cars combined with the dip of the track. I did run the car at 185 indicated on a long straight country road with no side accesses once but that didn't feel nearly as fast as the road coarse speeds. That car's definately got 200+ capability and I'd sure like to do that one time just to satisfy the itch, but I don't know where it could be done with any degree of safety. Anyway, I'd still have to say that 120's hung out on the bow of an open F1 tunnel is the thriller.

Raceman
05-05-2001, 09:13 AM
I'd get a kick outta seeing the EXPERTS that think YOUR stuff is unsupported.

BK
05-05-2001, 11:45 AM
The discussion is under "J PRO" subject line at rec.boats.racing.power -- where we are discussing why APBA discontinued the JPRO class after the PRO Commission hesitated to slow that class down. As it was, the class allowed rookie children as young as 11 to knee-ride hydroplanes that run nearly 60mph against other experienced kids who are 17.

Currently, all the other "Junior" classes in boat racing keep the beginners at speeds at 40mph and lower, at least until they are 13 or 14. (even PWC's have this rule).

The argument I was given is that many other types of (land) racing allow 11 year olds to run at these speeds -- and he then added that there is no physical difference between racing a land machine vs. a water machine travelling at the same speed.
For the newsgroup, if you have MS Internet Explorer, you probably have a "Favorites" menu and you probably can find "News" under it. Search for newsgroup rec.boats.racing.power.

If you cant find it that way, I think you can still use http://www.dejanews.com -- and look under " rec.boats " for this board -- then rec.boats.racing.power.

(Warning -- Make sure you choose the one that has "power" at the end. "rec.boats.racing" is full of sailboaters and they can pretty pretty brutal to powerboaters! LOL)

Thanks!

Greg Moss
05-05-2001, 12:08 PM
Bk One more thing you need to point out to the land lovers. Land based racing machines no matter what they are have one added feature BRAKES. Greg

BK
05-05-2001, 12:15 PM
You and my husband think alike!! That was the first thing he said too. :D

Also -- The way to find the newsgroup with Internet Explorer is to check under your "MAIL" menu --- not the Favorites. Click "My news"

Instigator
05-06-2001, 12:39 AM
Been 130 in a car and on a bike, only been 80 in a boat.
Told my X I'd quit racing hydroplanes if she let me do a pleasure boat that had the same feeling of speed. Have'nt been there yet!
Your weight and it's location in the cockpit is your power trim, now thats the **** that killed Elvis! Instigator

Sleekster
05-06-2001, 09:03 AM
Surely I'm a junior member in comparison to the Water Speed Zen Master Ken, but here goes

145 on my CBR 1000 (more left in the throttle, not in my courage)

130 in the Supra in Atlanta

90+ in the V-King w/ the 225 Johnson

By far the feeling of speed was greatest on the water.

My .02

Barney
05-09-2001, 10:53 AM
Well last weekend at Havasu, I was experiencing some sensations in the water, in the name of science, and just as we were picking up speed, some land , sand, came in between us. Faster and faster we went until the pain and blood were too much to bear, forced to stop, for fear of sharks.

So we must conclude from this that the sensation of speed in water will will become painful as land is added!

No one was seriously hurt during these experiences.

I am a trained professional, Graduate of "Become an Amigo Stud in 2 weeks" home study course, I was actually top of my class.

Hope it helps.

Techno
05-09-2001, 02:36 PM
The fastest most people have ever gone is about 600mph. What did it feel like to be traveling this speed at 30,000'? Most people forget that they have even gone that fast. It felt like crawling to me.