PDA

View Full Version : I got a couple puter problems.......

Balzy
01-15-2004, 09:15 AM
I have two problems I need to iron out right now.

It is a HP Pavilion 8860 running Windows “ME.”

First issue:

I lost all my sound. If I open something like “Sound Recorder” it gives me an error and says there are no sound devices installed. If I check properties in "My computer" under "sound video and game controllers" it says one or two of the items are not installed, missing, or f'ed up. Don't know what happened to them. I removed them and had windows reload them with no change. Did I lose my sound card? I think it's on the motherboard.

Second issue:

I also did a recovery on it WITHOUT a formatting of the hard drive. That didn't do it either. Now that I did that I can't get outlook 97 to work either. It wants me to tell it what my "Microsoft Exchange Server" is and what the name of my mailbox is. Never had it ask me that before. What do I tell it? I do have Outlook Express running ok unless I try to send an e-mail from a link on WebPages, then I get the same deal.

I always had a couple small issues trying to run Outlook 97 (Window Office 97 Professional) with ME but not like this.

Also, I took all the updates from Microsoft that made sense after I did the restore. Pretty much everything except all the foreign language updates.

Anyone have any advice?

pyro
01-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Upgrade to XP and say goodbye to 90% of your common Windows crashing issues. Keep everything current, don't get any viruses, and don't click anything that you don't know what it does, and this stuff shouldn't happen again.

Is yours fast enough to upgrade to XP? If not, replace it with something that's already set up and functioning properly.

KaptainKirk
01-15-2004, 11:03 AM
before on a different puter....nothing but problems.
New puter with xp....no problems but some games won't work with xp.

skidoo29
01-15-2004, 11:24 AM
never been able to get xp to work properly, put windows 2000 (not ME) and haven't had a problem, with anything from internet, email, games and design software like cad programs

balzy!
is the sound card actually on the motherboard, if not it should be easy to fix
warren

skidoo29
01-15-2004, 11:37 AM
also what have you done differently since it last worked, installed anything new?

are you running a virus scanner?

warren

Balzy
01-16-2004, 12:18 AM
nothing new installed or sone. Just quit. I run a current version of McAfee and get automatic updates so I don't think it's a virus deal. I think the sound card took a dumper. Anyone know, if the original sound card is part of the motherboard, can I still just plunk a sound card in a spare slot?

Stoker100
01-16-2004, 12:30 AM
You should have a disk that loads the drivers for the sound card function on the mother board. You may want to try loading it again. You may also want to look in the BIOS and see if the sound card is enabled?

Just some thoughts

skidoo29
01-16-2004, 07:14 AM
some sound cards are some aren't, but I don't see a problem with putting a new one in a different slot.
also if you have had updates from windows make sure t didn't change any of your settings with regards to your email and such, same goes for your virus settings, it probably didn't change anything but it doesn't hurt to look.

warren

Laker
01-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Did you get your junk running?
I tryed calling yesterday but you were out.
I will be home after lunch
Chris

sho305
01-16-2004, 11:34 AM
I have w2k and it runs nice now. Had that IP server thingy trash the whole thing a few times though, so I don't use that feature. The only problem is I wish I would have waded through all the hassle of setting the interrupts/IRQs myself. It automaticaly sets them to the same one, so on some games it gets funny video with a lot of sound at the same time. I'm getting a better video card sometime, but I can play the same game booted on 98 and it runs smooth. And w2k has a feature to change this that does not work, go figure. Without broadband here, I really hate the monster size win2000 service packs...I'll tell you that.

It is likely you can get a whole board with sound in it for little money if you want to upgrade. Just an idea, they are easy to do depending on how old the rest is.

Also check the bios to see if an onboard sound is active and you want to use a card, or the opposite like Stoker said. Reseat the card first too/check plugs/etc. I have another machine losing bios settings once in a while, don't know why. Has a new battery and good surge strip, I think the power is getting spiked or something. Everytime it turns the sound off.

Balzy
01-16-2004, 11:58 AM
I did check the bios settings. All enabled that I can tell. Leaning tword the sound card on the motherboard took a dumper. Guess I need to get a seperate sound card or a whole new motherfer board. Where is the best place to get one? Best Buy, Circuit City, or On-line somewhere?

Laker, Nope junk ain't workin yet. Saw your call coming in but couldn't answer, was in a meeting with the Hospice people about pa. I'll call ya when i get a chance, maybe this afternoon. Been real hectic here as of late.

sho305
01-16-2004, 12:53 PM
I like comp usa myself, but will buy other places local if they have a good deal. Most stuff I get on the net, usually pricewatch.com. There you have to be careful who you buy from and make sure they exist/etc for the cheapest places. I have a credit card I can get a fake number good for one transaction if I want, so they can't steal it. I had no problems though, I research the company or have used them before and don't pick the very cheapest. Make sure you check if it is a refurb product, like a case for example. I had one come with no drive clips once and got no help on the refurb. I've used ComponentAuthority.com, EMS Computing, PCNation, PCW, United Micro, Googlegear, AccessMicro, and Insight for a few in the last couple years.

Try reseating the card or changing the slot and if no go, then you get another card or decide if you want a board and whatever. If just a board know your cpu/memory/etc type so you can get one that works with the old stuff if you want to keep them. Faster memory and buses have helped boards catch up to the fast cpus, my reason to replace one mostly. Then I look at board reviews to find what I need, what breaks, who has the best and so on. IMO, I like the boards with the NIC, sound, usb, maybe even video, and that typical stuff included for little cost as you can upgrade later with a card anyway if it has slots. If you just surf with it you need nothing else. If you want hipo, you may not want all that. If you use cameras and stuff for example, check about special connections available. Make sure your case has standard board size that fits it too.

Often there are sites that will tell you, like a gaming site will list tests of the best gaming boards and IT sites the best workstation boards, and people here can also. Or you can just grab a cheap sound board and stick it in there.:) If you knew the right person they might give you one of those @ $6-8. Usually I am buying whole machines or a special item when I spend time shopping online. Unless I don't want to bother going to a store and just let them send it to me instead. Only with big monitors they were cheaper at a closer place due to shipping only one state away.
pricewatch (http://www.pricewatch.com)
If I wanted a high end video card, then likely a much better deal could be found online. Normal things like average parts there is not as much savings from local places. With a whole new fairly fast machine from multiple places it adds up.

Techno
01-16-2004, 05:34 PM
If you have a local puter builder check them out. They can sell you something not top end for substantial savings or a used one.

Try downloading ad aware fromhttp://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
It finds worms which virus detectors don't. I found like 6 of them on my old HD after running the virus checker. Mostly tracking worms.
The email thing may be a worm trying to spread? Don't know but does sound suspicious.
To give an idea how bad these are the new one destroyed my last puter and putting in a new HD and reinstalling XP didn't work, the install wouldn't work. Installing 98 would lock up too.
New puter, program to get rid of that new worm, which was on my new puter and no more problems. It got on when I connected to the web.

Gerben
01-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi,

A cheap sound card runs about $15.-
Pretty decent sound, but not high end offcourse.

Gerben

Balzy
01-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Don't do any gaming, DVD watching, etc anyway. Just wanna have the speakers back, that's about it.

Thanks to everyone that replied

I will post what the outcome is when I have time to fix it.

PaulR
01-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Simple sound cards that would work for you are cheap and installing them is a no brainer.

I buy alot of stuff from this place or Best Buy would have what you want.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=290209

glastron
02-14-2004, 05:00 PM
I agree w/Q-Shot.
use zipzoomfly. good prices.

SleeveA
02-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Dump a Gimlet (lots-o lime) down the back of it, run to Best Buy get a new one and call er done, Works for me........

Dont you have 2 sound cards in der now?????