PDA

View Full Version : Please help out a new member...............

Balzy
05-03-2001, 08:28 AM
We have a new member to the group here. His alias is Somefool and it looks like the handle may fit. Not knocking you, just couldn't resist. It looks like this poor sap got taken real bad on a boat purchase. I hope he posts here and asks for help. I have been working with him on Baker's board. Here is the link:

http://pub9.ezboard.com/fscaryfasttechboardhighperformancequestions.showMessage?topicID=289.topic

Will someone else please go there and see if they can help him out. He is a newby to the sport and somebody really F#$%^& him bad on this deal. Thanks for your help. I hate to see stuff like this happen in our sport.

AnthonySS
05-03-2001, 09:25 AM
OUCH!

This sounds real bad. Nothing like learning a lesson from the "School of Hard Knots". Been there...! Get this guy over to the SandF Board. Looks like he needs to find a freind in his "Ausie" homeland.

Maybe we can help him out from here.

COME-ON-BOARD...SOMEFOOL!

I would be glad to help you out too!

Sincerely,

AnthonySS

Balzy
05-03-2001, 10:37 AM
him as the latest member this morning. Hope he gets on here and replies to the thread. That whole deal sucks. Maybe Dave Warby can help him out in the land of OZ. Would that be too cool, have the "Soon to be Fastest Man on Water" help you out with your first hotboat. :p

DaveR
05-03-2001, 11:52 AM
Cracks in the bottom of the boat one foot before the transom sounds a lot like he may have his ski pylon anchored to a spot that has stressed and cracked the hull. I think I remember him saying it's worse, or only happens, when he's pulling skiers. I believe stress cracks from engine loads on the transom would be at the corners of his splash well or somewhere up on / near the deck. The exception to this would be a very weak hull that hooks when loaded and finally cracks. Your right. This is a major problem for both saftey and expense!

By the way, I think the ropes people use from ski pylons to the bow of the boat have a strap at the end that goes over the nose of the boat.

Ken Warby
05-03-2001, 11:54 AM
Balzy,
I raced a flightcraft at Havasu in 1979 and in many races in OZ(it's on the web site) and found it to be a well made boat.
The previous owner must hav belted the **** out of it before he sold it.
It is a great shame that a newby gets taken in by an idiot.
It is great that you mates are trying to help a fellow countryman of mine.
Ah... good friendship in boating can span the world.
Thanks to all trying to help and a pox apon the previous owner!!!

Scott
05-03-2001, 01:06 PM
You 'gotta love this board. Good solid advice from those in the know. Somefool, if yer on, listen to these guys! I'm a new to the fast boat scene myself and the help I've received here has been invaluable. If they tell ya not to run the boat until it's looked at by a pro...DO IT. Local marina and shop tell me that stress cracks fron pulling usually show up at the corners of the transom, not the bottom. Good Luck!!

somef00l
05-03-2001, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys for your awesome help..

Ken Warby, where in Australia are you? Im in Sydney.

> sounds a lot like he may have his ski pylon anchored to a spot that has stressed and cracked the hull

The main fix for the ski pole is on the floor where it is thick and built up. It also is bolted about half way up against the engine well area. This all flexes when pulling up a skiier. DaveR you are right. There are also stress marks in the paint on the corners of the engine well. The transom flexes when I put weight on the bottom of the outboard and I have heard to test for this when buying a boat. In my case the previous owner had just installed the new transom and said he made it so it had a little flex in it. But I am worried this is contributing to the hairline cracks.

I will try get photos of the inside today.

Ken Warby
05-03-2001, 08:11 PM
I am in Cincinnati , Ohio , USA

DaveR
05-03-2001, 09:04 PM
Sorry- but I can't think of ANY good reason to purposely leave flexing in a transom. I'm afraid no matter how much we talk, the bottom line is you are going to have to get it fixed right or sell it with a full disclosure to the next owner.

somef00l
05-03-2001, 09:30 PM
Dave with the flexing transom I need to add that there is no play in the actual bulk of the transom, it is firm, it is more the back of the boat that flexes.

The transom is not joined and fixed in a common manner, it is attached to the floor and sides of the stern but not along the top ridge. The two top plates meet but are not joined/fibreglassed/bolted. It is along this top ridge that I can see the flexing. I do not know why it was re-attached in this way, all i know is it will be giving me grief in the future and I need to do something about it :(