PDA

View Full Version : Single Outboard Boats "SOBs" Approved by OPA!!!

Sharkey-Images
01-11-2004, 03:32 AM
DPT Motorsports and myself met with OPA officials yesterday to hear what they were willing to do for the SOBs.

It's official!!! :cool:

They are willing to let the SOBs race within their organization.

Here is what they have come up with:

As far as the rules for SOB, they were in agreement with the SOB Rules Proposal were had offered them.
There were only 4 things that needed to be changed from those rules.
1. Minimum length will be 21 feet with a Max of 24 feet. They will use the round up method if a boat measures 20 foot 6.5 inches, it will be rounded to 21 feet.
2. Mandatory: 2 Crew Onboard. It will be mandatory for 2 people to be in the boat while racing. There will not be an option for only one person.
This was OPA's as well as the insurance carrier's decision. I personally asked two of the medic's opinions, and they too also wanted to see two people in the boat.

3. No Capped Speed or Bracket Racing for this class(3 races only) It has been decided to allow this for the calm water race sites only.
3 of the sites that are ocean races will fall under the P-5 max average speed of 65 mph. Again, the Insurance Liability as well as Safety was a big decision maker here. We all know no one would even come close to 65mph in rough ocean conditions, but this is just making sure of no one trying to. The 3 races with this cap will be enforced with GPS supplied by OPA.

4. Race distance 40 miles The total distance will be 40 miles not 60 or a 1 hour time limit. Also subject to change at the discretion of OPA at each race site depending on sea conditions.

So in a a nut shell, here is what you have.

SOB's are welcome to come race in all 6 races.

The rough water races, the SOB's will not have their own race. They are invited to race under P-5 and have the option to be scored separately as well as be scored in P-5 to race for the purse of that event. ( The reasoning behind this is, if the course is rough and they try to run two races, they are afraid of losing too many volunteers by the time the second race comes out. To sit out in the ocean for an entire day while it's rough can be a burden to most volunteers. If over time they have more volunteers for the water operations where they may have separate shifts for the volunteers, that may change in the future. As of right now, they will only offer the one race at the rough water races.)

The other 3 events which are calm water races, the SOBs will have their own individual class. Although no prize money will be awarded unless the site itself offers a separate purse for the class. Example: Cambridge, MD offers their Local Class a separate purse.

OPA will be picking up the additional costs to run the SOBs in their own class. (Helicopter and Insurance Premiums) The means of paying for it will come from the $500 per race entry fee. It will not interfere with the existing P-1 thru P-5 class's purse or add any additional costs onto the other classes.

If for any reason that the SOB's race were to be cancelled by OPA or the Coast Guard deeming the course to be too rough for 21 footers, the registration money for that race will be forwarded to the next race's registration. You will not loose your registration money if the race is blown out.

OPA's Equipment Requirements Please contact OPA for their rule book. Offshore Performance Association's Link (http://offshoreperformanceassociation.com/)

Additional Prizes Other than actual cash prizes, contingency prizes may be awarded on a per class basis. It will not have to be shared with any of the other classes.
If for example Mercury or a SOB manufacture wanted to step in and offer 1st place of SOB X amount of dollars in "Parts or Merchandise" they can do that. It is advised that they contact OPA for this type of an incentive because they are already setting up different types of contigency prizes for each class. Last year, one person ended up with $1500 in parts from JESEL. Not bad for only running someone's decal on their boat.
:cool:
Also a Hi-Points Trophy for total points accumulated over the season will be awarded at the end of the season.

Stay Informed!!! Get on the mailing list by using this link:NJ Offshore & OPA Informational Mailing List (http://www.homestead.com/njoffshore/mailinglist.html)

I hope this will satisfy most of you, and you will come out and race.
If the response and participation is great this year, you have a great opportunity to grow and make some changes along the way.

Good Luck to all of you!

It is now up to you to make the next move. Start by getting registered for the season.

Annual Equipment fee $450.00

Annual Membership fee $100.00

Annual GPS fee $ To be determined (No more than $150) We asked for a reduced rate being as the SOB's would only need it for 3 races when they race in P-5

Entry fee per race $500.00 Includes Insurance, Helicopters, Race Parties but not a purse unless you race in P5.

Sharkey-Images
01-11-2004, 03:33 AM
Rules For The SOB Class

Hulls:

Any conventional vee bottom stepped or padded allowed

Minimum length: 21 feet inches

Maximum length: 24 ft 0 inches

“Vee-Hull Designs Only” No Wing Styled Boats, Tunnel-Vees or Catamarans

No Minimum Weight

Hydraulic Jacks Plates allowed

Set-back brackets allowed

Crew onboard: Mandatory 2 people.

No letters, Number only to minimum height set by Sanctioning Body’s Rules Leave room in front of Number if you choose to run in P5 at anytime.

Remote water pickups allowed

No Capped Speed or Bracket racing for this class except at the 3 rough water race sites.

Engines:

Any Single Outboard Engine by any Manufacturer

Any octane pump gasoline only (No alcohol, nitros, etc.)

Races:

Courses to be determined by sanctioning body

Depending on the number of entries, it is 1st choice to run this class by itself.

Distance same as P5 class 40 miles

Safety:

Follow All Safety Rules and Equipment requirements of the sanctioning body.

oldschoolfan
12-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Is there any intrest in this since it never took place?

Fast Shafts
12-26-2007, 06:27 PM
OPA gave all the SOB's everything they could ask for; no entry fees, prize money and a local race. As someone on Offshoreonly put it, SOB=Saw One Boat. The only boat to show was Herb with his Intimidator. Herb ran in class 6.
Three years ago, 45 people showed up at a meeting expressing an interest in racing, unfortunately only one boat showed up-Herb. The chances of getting this class going again are very slim. It was incredible to see all the Mercury Racing apparel, and bumper stickers at the meeting, unfortunately too many were interested in "non-santioned" races in the bay with no rules, no insurance, no closed course, and no medical boats. Its kind of funny to see someone's avatar claiming to be the "LI SOB Champion".:rolleyes:

afr
12-26-2007, 06:59 PM
what is it you got to do to get paid ???
whats a p-5
oh and whats the cut off on rough water 3 foot sea,s or more

oldschoolfan
12-26-2007, 09:09 PM
To bad I was hoping to start racing my boat w/ opa and was hoping for a few other sob boats. To bad that they were all blow and no show.

Fast Shafts
12-26-2007, 10:06 PM
OldSchool,
If you want, you can still run your boat in OPA in class 6. Class 6 is for boats 26' and under, and 70 mph. In the calm water races, you may be competative. If 5 SOB boats show up, you can have your own class.
AFR, class 5 is for boats up to 30' and 75 MPH.
OPA runs brackett racing and all boats carry a designated GPS. There are many here who claim there boats are faster, however these speeds are tough to maintain over the cousre of 40-50 miles, and open ocean conditions. The SOB's would be ideally suited for the calm water races like Patchouge LI, and Cambridge Md.

oldschoolfan
12-30-2007, 09:29 AM
I will get killed in the small water I think I need to be in the rough stuff. I am hoping to be running around 67 mph on my banana once I convert it to single from twin o/bs. I can't keep up with the smaller lighter sobs in the flat stuff.

Fast Shafts
12-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Old School,
Your boat sounds like it would be ideal for class 6. OPA runs races (Ocean) in Ocean City Md., Point Pleasant NJ, and a race in Patchouge on the bay. There are two 24' Sunsations, 26' Corsa, 24 Carrera, 24 Batboats, 24 BRT, 24 Baja's and Herbs 21 Intimidator. I'm surprized we don't see more 24 Superboats?? Come out and join the fun!

LI SUPERBOAT
02-29-2008, 12:12 AM
iam intrestead

Fast Shafts
03-10-2008, 02:26 PM
LI Superboat,
The first OPA race is the last weekend in May. Which boat would you be racing? If you need any Info, please let me know!

LI SUPERBOAT
03-10-2008, 02:58 PM
sure info would be great ,what ever i easyer ,email lthebud@aol.com or 516 581 3911 ,and the progression i will be racing

Ghost S84
04-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Info to Kalibat@fordham.edu please...Depending if I get a new 23' ghost built and also have my dad buy into racing again, K and K Ghost Race Team may make a comeback appearance at the patchouge race in class 6...Im kinda confused tho... during the race the boat cannot exceed 70mph ever or is that the max average speed? Also would I need to pay an annual equipment fee if im only gonna run one race?

Fast Shafts
04-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Ghost,
All boats carry a sealed GPS on board. At the end of the race the GPS is read by the race officials. 70mph is the max speed for class 6. I think you are allowed 3three 1/10 th mph break outs, then you are DQ'ed. I race a 24 Sunsation, "Lock'd Up" in class 6. There is very little chance of breaking out in a 24' boat-in the Ocean races. Class 6 is starting its 3rd year and is excellent for someone who is new to racing.
There is a yearly $750.00 equipment registration fee. There is also a fee of 150.00 for each racing member. I don't think OPA will "prorate" these fees.
If you are serious about racing but only want to race in Patchouge, come to the Ocean City Md race on May 31-June 1 and introduce yourself!
I remember your dad racing the yellow Ghost in the early 1980's. Didn't your dad build the ghost boats?
I race # 606, "Lock"d Up" a 24' Sunsation in class 6. Hope this info helps! Get her done!
Good Luck!
Bob G.

Ghost S84
04-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks alot for all the info...I wouldn't be driving tho my dad would be and i would be learning from what I see (eventually i hope to race...i was always told you dont just jump into racing...you gotta get alot of wheel time 1st)...he use to run APBA Offshore with the 23' and with a stock 2.4 200 ran an average of 66 and hit 72-73 for solid stretches in some decent sized seas...this boat will have a 300vmax so 70 should be easy for him to break on accident (me i doubt it I would lose control from lack of ability)...yeah he built all the ghosts...if im not busy maybe ill take a trip to ocean city

waterboy1
04-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks alot for all the info...I wouldn't be driving tho my dad would be and i would be learning from what I see (eventually i hope to race...i was always told you dont just jump into racing...you gotta get alot of wheel time 1st)...he use to run APBA Offshore with the 23' and with a stock 2.4 200 ran an average of 66 and hit 72-73 for solid stretches in some decent sized seas...this boat will have a 300vmax so 70 should be easy for him to break on accident (me i doubt it I would lose control from lack of ability)...yeah he built all the ghosts...if im not busy maybe ill take a trip to ocean city

I remember the Kalibats racing their single and twin outboard Ghost hulls in the APBA and NPBA races in the eighties.I was always amazed at how well they ran in the rough water ocean races often passing boats in larger classes.
Those videos are awesome...that 23ft single outboard(V-84) was absolutely amazing running those speeds in the swells off Key West.I am still hopefull that a single engine outboard offshore class will make a comeback in the future.It would be great to see the Ghost hulls out on the race course again.They would no doubt be very competitive in Class 6 against the inboards.