PDA

View Full Version : Digital Videos and editing

LakeRacer99
01-08-2004, 03:32 PM
OK, I have a SharpVision digital video camera that I want to put some videos on my PC with. I understand I first need some hardware to do that. 2 options for connecting the Camera to PC, USB 2.0 or FireWire? Which is better and why? I would need to buy a board and the cable.

Then, the software. What would be needed. The end result I would like to have .mpg files to burn on a VCD for use in DVD player. I would also like the ability to edit the videos before the are burned.

I am clueless on this Video stuff and appriciate any advice.
Thanks,

MarkHP
01-08-2004, 04:41 PM
If you are using Win98 then you will have to upgrade to XP or 2000 as win98 sucks for video stuff. Firewire is getting less popular compared with USB and USB is usually standard on most newer PC's. what kind of PC hardware do you have?

LakeRacer99
01-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Hey Mark...
I have an old Gateway 400ishMHZ and Win98.
I was thinking the USB 2.0 was like 480Mbps, I wasn't sure what the firewire was.
What probs might I run into with my current setup and USB 2.0?
Which is better XP or W2K? I assume they both have their downfalls.
Thanks,

MarkHP
01-08-2004, 06:20 PM
XP would be the best bet. Does your PC have a USB port? How much RAM do you have because XP is a big of a hog, it needs 128 MB to work with reasonable speed.

VectorPat
01-08-2004, 06:22 PM
I use an old pentium3 with win98se with firewire and a dvd burner..You gotta have a buttload of ram though...There is alot of software out there...Just depends on what you want to do and how much you are willing to spend...

MarkHP
01-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Win98SE was an attempt from MS to address the various problems with video editing. Some were addressed but a lot was left to be desired. If you can upgrade to XP, but in either case RAM is needed. As I mentioned firewire is getting less popular and even USB 1 is OK for small 'normal' home use unless you want to get into it heavily. Just a little bit slower to transfer data but most of your time is spent editing it on the computer after the transfer.

LakeRacer99
01-09-2004, 02:16 AM
Hey,
I have around 384Mb of ram, actually I have a 512 and 128 stick, but my mother board will not recognize more than the 384. My PC does have 2 USb 1.1 ports and I just picked up a Usb 2.0 card at work tonight, still need a cable though. I am gonna give it a try.
Is there any share ware that could get me started in the mpg editing for now?
I plan to upgrade hardware one of these days, but not now.
How do I know if I have w98se or just w98?
Thanks,

MarkHP
01-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Your RAM should be good but you should strongly think of moving to XP, MS will drop all support and updates for Win98 this month. The main problem I have noticed with Win8 is the lack of working drivers that will allow communication with your camera. Usually the camera manufacturer would suppliy these but most are for XP. The check which version of Win98 you have you would right click on 'my computer' icon and it should say which version, I forget the exact numbers maybe someone else can chip in here? If not I will research and try and find them.

Maureen M
01-09-2004, 09:40 AM
This site has tons of information on dvd-r and vcd creation:

www.dvdrhelp.com

If you scroll down on the left and go to the "tools" section, they have a page w/ lots of shareware and freeware programs.
I don't know if you'll find what you need, but that site might at least help you learn exactly what it is you do need.

Maureen