PDA

View Full Version : gold leafing something question

Techno
01-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Any one know if something that is gilded with real gold can be burnished smooth or does it stay all wrinkly like?
Also the fin like deals on my guage bezels has me wondering if this is possible to do? These are like the cooling fins on an engine about 3/16" square.

lyle
01-05-2004, 11:01 PM
all the gold we do at our fire house is as smooth as the base and top coat

Techno
01-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Is this gold leaf or paint? I can't use the adhesive backed stuff since it has to conform to the curves and stuff.
The smooth surface question is visually like it was plated rather than if it was crinklely and then cleared and sanded.

lyle
01-06-2004, 12:40 AM
real gold leaf has a varinsh backing painted on first after it sets up for a while apply the leaf as smooth as the varinsh is is as smooth as the leaf will turn out then it has to have a top coat

inspectorlance
01-06-2004, 03:33 AM
You can make it come out nice and smooth, but you need a nice smooth surface. Kinda tricky if you havent done it befor. A book of gold leaf is about 3 1/2 " SQ. so if you are doing anything larger than the leaf it looks like a checker board. lots of seams.

As for going over something like cooling fins, that would be tricky !! You would waste alot of gold. The 22 k patent is about $40 per book. I think 20 sheets per book. If I was to go over something like fins, I might try Mixing ( Cresent powders ) with what ever clear base you like. Cresent Makes lots of metal powders that are made for this. Great selection of "gold like"metals..

I was in the sign and graphic indusrty for years, Years ago !
I would contact the oldest sigh painter I could find. Their a great sorce for info. They love to chat since they have been put out of business by the computer for the most part.

Techno
01-06-2004, 04:16 PM
I actually found a how to link that says it can be rubbed flat and glossy. Whether I want to go to the trouble of all those grooves?? Might just Kandy it like the first plan or Kandy it and just do the easy raised areas.

Of all the links I've searched this one is about caligraphy!