PDA

View Full Version : Wiring situation- ECU

Techno
05-02-2001, 04:18 PM
I discovered my rectifier was installed upside down. The red battery wire to the harness was hooked up to the center post/yellow wire. I rewired to what the book says.

I checked my starter solnoid and the post that has the yellow/red stripe from the harness also had the ECU yellow/red stripe thats meant for ground, by the book.(why the hell do they use Yellow/red for two differnt things like this)?

I had problems last year and have bought 2 switch boxes. Would these two wiring errors have caused any problems?
I'm mostly concerned about the Yellow/red stripe from the ECU that was supposed to be grounded. Is there any chance that the ECU is good?
Going by the wiring diagram the ECU yellow wire not only wasn't grounded but would have been energized when starting.
I assume the harness yellow/red was for starting as the other wires are all black on the other post of the solnoid.

Bill Gohr
05-02-2001, 08:17 PM
Techno, Some of the earlier analogs came with the enrichener wire hooked to the solenoid kick wire to enrichen it every time you started it(guaranteed flooding) disconnect the ecu wire and hook it to your standard choke wire (yelloe black).....

Techno
05-03-2001, 05:32 PM
The back of my Mercury manual (section on EFI) for 2,4,mod VP, XR2 1989 shows the wire as a ground. In the front of the book it shows it going to the starter solnoid so I think it's just a typo.