PDA

View Full Version : Merc question

05-02-2001, 11:04 AM
My '89 Merc 200 XRi lean sneezes at idle, warm or cold. This is an EFI motor, I don't think it's sopposed to do that. Is it normal? I've been told that maybe there's a fuel filter that I need to replace. What could be the problem? -Chad

TTriton
05-02-2001, 12:17 PM
check your timing. I built a engine this weekend and when I got it in the water it did that also. But I also had a problem with my carbs out of sinc. I had to sinc all my carbs and adjust timeing. then it purred. But since you have a EFI I would check the timing first.

TTriton
05-02-2001, 12:20 PM
I was also thinking. I;ve never worked on an EFI but check to see if all of your injectors are squirting. OR better yet do a cylinder drop test to see if any cylinders are not runinng. Or you can use a IR Pyrometer and find the cold cylinder or cylinders. Some more idea's. In fact I'd make sure all the cylinders are running before messing with the timing at all unless you have a timing light.

jimmyb
05-02-2001, 02:28 PM
check your reeds...

Mercrauder
05-02-2001, 03:48 PM
Jimmy is right...I had the same problem,and my reeds were mounted wrong,with too much gap(1-3mm)-unscrew them and tighten from midle and out...or you WILL have bad idle...also it could be the pressure regulator...check about 40 psi

05-02-2001, 04:21 PM
The idle is good and smooth, with the exception of a little sneeze every 10 seconds or so. It runs good throughout the rest of the range. Sometime, I'll pull the front half and check out the reeds and injectors.

ODDD1
05-02-2001, 08:34 PM
Pyro 9 times out of ten a lean sneeze on these motors is SETUP...the tenth timeis a bad bleed check valve or reed......if your idle rpm ios low enough, bring your idle timing higher..[spec is tdc to 9 after]....still dont help...gotta set tpi richer...or maybe somebody opened the stop on the air shutters?...evn a throttle cable that doesnt com FIRMLY back on the stop will open air shutters enuf to cause probs....