PDA

View Full Version : old go cart motors

Ronny Jetmore
11-19-2003, 09:34 AM
anybody got any old gocart motors for sale. my dad used to run them and i want to get into it. i like the old 2 stroke stuff like homelite, west bend, clinton. any replys are appreciated. i know the stuff is not as competitive as the new stuff but my dad was into it. its kind of a nostalgia thing for me.
thanks, ronny jetmore

clydecleinmark
11-19-2003, 09:42 AM
Wow! I had a kart back in the early 60's. It was a Dart Kart by Rupp Mfg. It had a Homelite and it ran pretty good. We THOUGHT we were going about 60 mph but who knows. No GPS back then. West Bend motors were more popular, but as I recall the McColloughs were King. The hot Kart was one built by Troy Ruttman, ex Indy driver. O saw one a while back at a go-cart show. I don't know if this will help but there is a pretty big show every year at the Pheasant Run Resort in Saint Charles, Illinois--about an hour west of Chicago. You could call them and maybe get a contact number for the show. Maybe that person can give you some leads. I imagine the same problem exists now that was there many years ago-finding a place to run them. We used abandoned tracks of which there were many. Ford used to let us run in a parking lot (in Detroit) on Sundays. Good luck.

sho305
11-19-2003, 10:46 AM
My father inlaw was telling me about the cart they raced for fun with dual McCulloughs. They would win and sell the motors for more than they cost, then have new ones for every race. All their stuff is long gone, but sure sounded like fun. He said the thing would lay rubber easy and he didn't want to race it, another guy drove it in races. He said it would go so fast you could not stay on the track, so you did not use all the power anyway. There are a few around here, but same deal it is hard to find place to run them and I don't know if they have the old ones.

Raceman
11-19-2003, 11:39 AM
A dual engined nostalgia cart is something I've been looking for, for the last several years. I wanted a Yazoo Super Dragster when I was a kid, which came with a pair of 2 stroke Clintons with megaphones. I think they were rated at 7 1/2 HP each if I remember right. My dad went to the Yazoo dealer and bought me their yard cart instead which had a single 3 horse Clinton 4 stroke. If I ever see a Super Dragster I'm buyin' it. There's a lot of this stuff that turns up on E Bay under "Vintage Go Kart". I always type that in, then change the search to highest price first to avoid all the nickel and dime parts.

You're probably gonna find that stuff much pricier than you imagined unless you find one in somebody's basement who doesn't play on the internet.

The guy I bought the F1 V8 OMC from is really into carts now since he quit boat racing in the late 80's. He had a restored cart hanging from the ceiling in his shop with two West Bends and said it was worth about 6 thousand.

pyro
11-19-2003, 06:37 PM
A friend of mine put a Arctic Cat 440 cc motor in a golf cart one time, pull start, loud as hell, he said it roasted the tires and went about 50.