PDA

View Full Version : 20' eliminator help!!!!!!!

HYDROVAGAS86
11-17-2003, 12:14 PM
i am intrested in an 1989 20' eliminator tunnel that has a 260 merc on the back. the problem that i am having is that i have a few guys in the area that say that these boats are too heavy to run fast , list real hard to one side or anether when turning corners and that they were not designed that well and dont pack enough air to lift and ride smooth like a tunnel is suppose to . is this true or not? the reason i am considering this boat is for several reasons . 1 size (will accommodate my family and at the same time will get me into a tunnel boat) 2. price , it fits into my buget better than a stv or a river rocket at the moment ( which i would love to have :) ) 3. project boat for the winter. 4. i figured it would ride better because it was heaver boat than an stv.
now i now it will never be as fast as an stv or a river rocket because of weight , but it has to be comparable. if i see a stv with a 260 merc on the back that runs 104 - 106mph i figured this 20' eliminator would run in the low 90's. am i wright or wrong? if any one has any infomation that would help me make a decision to buy this boat or not would be greatly appericated. thanks jeff bush

Winger Ed.
11-20-2003, 07:05 PM
If it lists to one side, that is a weight distribution effect. It may need to be changed (shift batterys, fuel tanks, etc.). Or, it may be a intentional arrangement to counteract torque.

If that's the case, the list while at rest doesn't matter nearly as much as better handeling at speed does.

As far as the handeling questions,
- take it out and drive it.

If you're really serious about buying something like that, it shouldn't be any different than test driving a car.

If the owner won't go out with you test driving it a few minutes for that major of a purchase, it should send up red flags about concerns other than you mentioned.

HYDROVAGAS86
11-20-2003, 08:43 PM
i would like to but it is an estate sale. the guy that owned the boat died of heart trouble and the famile is selling it . i offered about half of what they wanted for it and to my suprise they accepted the offer. the only thing that i am worried about is the hull. the motor is well worth what i am offering for it alown. i just dont want to put a bunch of money into a boat that isn't worth a broke d***. as far as the listing go's , it's only when it turns. thanks for the post jeff bush

Vector77
11-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Let's see. The sportmaster is 6 months old. It has a lake 20" mid, and the powerhead was rebuilt in 2001 and has good compression. All this plus a alum trailer and a faded scorpion for $4500.00. Maybe I need to call them back. LOL

HYDROVAGAS86
11-20-2003, 11:53 PM
yep your wright :) . but i offered 5000.00. maybe it was stupid of me ? i just dont want to dump alot of money into and have a boat that will only run in the low 80's. got the need for speed:D :D :D . thanks for turning me on to the boat.

Winger Ed.
11-21-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by HYDROVAGAS86
it and to my suprise they accepted the offer. the only thing that i am worried about is the hull. the motor is well worth what i am offering for it alown.

////////

Then there's your deal.

On most used boats that aren't just real new- you pay for what the engine is worth.

Be it running, or a salvage price if it isn't, the hull & tailer are usually pretty much free.

And,,, if you didn't plan on paying what you offered--- you really shouldn't have bit it in the first place.

HYDROVAGAS86
11-21-2003, 01:11 AM
thanks winger ed . your wright and i know its worth what i offered . i just have a couple of guys around here that are telling me that i might as well sink the boat. worse case i have a good motor and i have to put a boat in front of it. thanks again i think ill be fine i just have to quit listening to everybody:) .
jeff bush

Winger Ed.
11-21-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by HYDROVAGAS86
. worse case i have a good motor and i have to put a boat in front of it.
jeff bush

You'll go far and do well Grasshopper.

That does sound like a great price for that engine.

Aluminum trailers are pretty big bucks too.

Hulls are pretty cheap if you can find one with a blown motor hanging on the back of it.

Not knowing exactly what shape the hull is in, but if it isn't crashed:

In the scheme of things, replacing a transom board, seats, wiring, floor and a paint job aren't really that big of a deal if you've got a little time and are handy with basic tools.

The folks over on the fiberglass board are talking about that sort of thing all the time. A little digging through the the old posts and you'd about be an expert on doing the re-build on 'your' hull in no time.

Or,,,, you could keep the hull pretty basic like this guy---

HYDROVAGAS86
11-21-2003, 02:47 AM
thanks again i'm going to go over there now and do some reading. you know thats not a bad idea , but of coarse the wife would kill me if i put the 260 on the dinner table:D