PDA

View Full Version : computer shut off???

P man
11-12-2003, 03:48 PM
Alright ive been having some problems with this computer latly
First off I built it so its very likly that there is something wrong with it but..
im running a pentium 350-450 (cant remember what i clocked it at) and 128mb ram
Often when I play media (mostly songs with the kazaa player) the computer will just shut right off. On top of that even though i have a 32mg video card many decent quality videos are very choppy when i view them:confused:

also is there a way to check if my video card is working properly?
I have no idea where this problem is so any input is appreciated

MarkHP
11-12-2003, 04:26 PM
OK back to basics...

What operating sys are you running? What else is running at the same time? Does it shut off when you are on-line or any time? Do you use a virus scan and if so have you checked you system lately?

Let's start with these and take it from there.........

P man
11-12-2003, 05:52 PM
ok im not very software intellegent but
Im running windows xp home
My computer is always logged in as i have cable.
the only program I know was running was msn messenger
and no i dont use a virus scan lol
What should I use???

pyro
11-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Get rid of Kazaa, play your MP3's with media player instead. That Kazaa program is all full of "bugs." I found out first hand. AND, if you have Kazaa, then you also have all kinds of "adware" and "spyware" that tracks your web surfing habits and serves you with pop-up ads based on your interests, which can also cause your computer to crash. Get "Kazaa Lite." (do a search for it) It's an illegitimate un-licensed "hack" of the original program that has had the embedded garbage removed to keep your web surfing private and to keep the pop-up ads away. Otherwise, it's the same.

jmdank
11-12-2003, 10:40 PM
:D
also pyro is correct with the spyware and kazza. BUT THAT IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM!
you should run a min. of 256mb ram with xp

MarkHP
11-13-2003, 08:25 AM
What they all said AND I would install a virus scan, Norton or McAfee are both good ones. As you are connected to the internet all the time I would also stronly recommend you put in some kind of firewall to stop hackers getting to your PC. There is a very good FREE one at www.zonelabs.com. It is very easy to install and setup.

P man
11-15-2003, 01:33 AM
kool
thanx alot
I deleted kazaa and that fixed the shut down problem I think. It hasnt happend yet anyway. And im goin to keep my eye out for some more ram.
Whats the old type of ram again. I think its pc-133 or something like that. Anyway can I use 4 stipes of 64mg or do I have to use 2 128's

Rickracer
11-15-2003, 06:29 AM
XP is a pain in the a** for sure. 256 megs of RAM is a good idea too. There is no such thing as too much RAM. :D Another thing you can do is go to Lavasoft.com and get Ad-Aware. It is a program that will scan your puter and remove pretty all spyware, and gives you the option of what gets deleted or what stays. I run Ad-Aware about once a month on most of my machines just to keep the junk cleaned out.