PDA

View Full Version : OT: Webiste Hosting Company

Sharkey-Images
11-09-2003, 02:11 PM
Looking for help.

I currently have my website with ZDnet, but lately having terrible tech support with them. Can't seem to get anyone on the phone, everything is done through email which is now being sent to a secondary company to handle their support. Apparently they are only available Monday through Friday. They haven't resolved my issues of late, and quite frankly told me they couldn't fix the trouble at all. WTF??? What good is it if you can't get into your own website to edit it?

Looking for a new host without advertising banners at a reasonable price. I also just realized that ZD has raise my semi-annual fees without telling me. It is now up to $140 per year. A bit too much to spend on a personal website I would say...

Anyone have suggestions??

Also, Is it possible to copy the site I have now, or do I have to build from scratch??

Buster
11-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Hi, I'm Buster Wallace, son of "Raceman". I recently did the Triad-Boats (http://www.triad-boats.com) site.

It sounds to me like ZD is giving you a good working over at those prices. There are many hosting companies that are much less expensive and don't have banners. Yahoo Webhosting has fast, reliable servers and have packages that range from 8.95-19.95 a month depending on your needs. Another company is 5dollarhosting.com.

If you choose Yahoo and don't have a domain name, and set it up through them, as long as you host it through them, they will continue to pay the annual renewal fees for your domain. If you have a name and just want to move it to yahoo, this is possible as well but you will still have to pay annual renewal fees for your domain, generally about $80 a year.

In order to switch hosting companies, you need to backup your web site to you computer so when the domain name has been moved, you can upload all of the site files to the new hoster's servers.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Buster Wallace

www.bustersdesigns.com (http://www.bustersdesigns.com)