eautosales
11-04-2003, 10:07 PM

eautosales
11-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Project Truck: PWG Dodge Ram Rumble Bee
By: Harvey Schwartz Posted: 09-03-03 22:15
© 2003 PickupTruck.com

Page: [1] [2] [3]

As a Los Angeles based automotive photographer/writer, each week I usually find myself behind the wheel of 2-3 new factory vehicles and 1-new tuned and dressed-up ‘project’ vehicle from an aftermarket company. I really enjoy the opportunity to test the modified versions the most because the aftermarket companies take the stock factory vehicle to a higher level of styling, performance and driving pleasure.

For the first time in my career of testing and photographing tuner cars and trucks, I had the opportunity to ‘follow the build’ from factory stock to full-blown tuner, of one of these modified vehicles. Larry Weiner, VP of Performance West Group, one of the country’s busiest builders of modified cars and trucks, located in Vista, California, said it would be a great idea to show enthusiasts the process that one of his vehicles goes through, from factory stock beginnings to a stunning ‘Show Winner’. Larry suggested that I follow the build of a 2004 Dodge Ram Hemi regular cab pickup truck that he dubbed ‘Rumble Bee’; it was scheduled to be delivered in a few weeks.

The Ram was delivered to PWG in the usual factory black paint and base trim level. Larry already had the artist renderings in hand and was ready to map out the route that the Rumble Bee would take-first a custom paint job and stripping, including a custom roll pan, bedliner, and hard tonneau cover, a custom fabricated ‘six-pack’ hood, a custom billet grille, more comfortable high-back leather seats and interior trim upgrades, a lowered and better handling suspension kit, bigger and stronger slotted disc brakes with four-piston calipers, larger and more stylish 24in. alloy wheels wrapped by high-performance tires; custom headers, a custom dual catback exhaust system with custom exhaust tips, a set of hotter spark plugs, a more powerful battery, an upgrade to the air-intake system and lastly, a supercharger kit designed specifically for the new Chrysler 5.7liter Hemi V8 engine.

The first stop was Mike Face Custom Paint, Body & Fender. Mike Face has built a solid reputation over the past 20+ years for doing some of the finest custom paint jobs in the industry.

The paint chosen for the Rumble Bee was Flex Products latest B-5 Blue. Larry chose the B-5 blue because it was the original order number of the same shade of blue paint from the factory when you ordered a 1969 Dodge 426 Hemi SuperBee. This new type of Sprectraflair Holographic Metalflake paint contains smaller and more defined metalflakes that sparkle into many different colors as the sunlight changes angles on the surface.

Project Truck: PWG Dodge Ram Rumble Bee
By: Harvey Schwartz Posted: 09-03-03 22:15
© 2003 PickupTruck.com

Page: [1] [2] [3]

As a Los Angeles based automotive photographer/writer, each week I usually find myself behind the wheel of 2-3 new factory vehicles and 1-new tuned and dressed-up ‘project’ vehicle from an aftermarket company. I really enjoy the opportunity to test the modified versions the most because the aftermarket companies take the stock factory vehicle to a higher level of styling, performance and driving pleasure.

For the first time in my career of testing and photographing tuner cars and trucks, I had the opportunity to ‘follow the build’ from factory stock to full-blown tuner, of one of these modified vehicles. Larry Weiner, VP of Performance West Group, one of the country’s busiest builders of modified cars and trucks, located in Vista, California, said it would be a great idea to show enthusiasts the process that one of his vehicles goes through, from factory stock beginnings to a stunning ‘Show Winner’. Larry suggested that I follow the build of a 2004 Dodge Ram Hemi regular cab pickup truck that he dubbed ‘Rumble Bee’; it was scheduled to be delivered in a few weeks.

The Ram was delivered to PWG in the usual factory black paint and base trim level. Larry already had the artist renderings in hand and was ready to map out the route that the Rumble Bee would take-first a custom paint job and stripping, including a custom roll pan, bedliner, and hard tonneau cover, a custom fabricated ‘six-pack’ hood, a custom billet grille, more comfortable high-back leather seats and interior trim upgrades, a lowered and better handling suspension kit, bigger and stronger slotted disc brakes with four-piston calipers, larger and more stylish 24in. alloy wheels wrapped by high-performance tires; custom headers, a custom dual catback exhaust system with custom exhaust tips, a set of hotter spark plugs, a more powerful battery, an upgrade to the air-intake system and lastly, a supercharger kit designed specifically for the new Chrysler 5.7liter Hemi V8 engine.

The first stop was Mike Face Custom Paint, Body & Fender. Mike Face has built a solid reputation over the past 20+ years for doing some of the finest custom paint jobs in the industry.

The paint chosen for the Rumble Bee was Flex Products latest B-5 Blue. Larry chose the B-5 blue because it was the original order number of the same shade of blue paint from the factory when you ordered a 1969 Dodge 426 Hemi SuperBee. This new type of Sprectraflair Holographic Metalflake paint contains smaller and more defined metalflakes that sparkle into many different colors as the sunlight changes angles on the surface.

All the body panels were removed and prepared to be painted. A new roll-pan from Sir Michael’s and a Gaylord’s hard tonneau cover were ordered and painted B-5 Blue.

During this time a hood scoop from a 1969 440 Hemi SuperBee was found and delivered, along with the Ram hood, and all the metal hardware, to Ed Hembeck’s shop. Ed is the person to call first when you have to custom fabricate body panels, hoods, grilles, and bumpers out of fiberglass.

Ed first attached the ‘six-pack’ hood scoop to the factory hood and made a mold of both sides. He then made a fiberglass hood with a ‘six-pack’ hood scoop that includes the raised character line in the center of the front edge.

All the necessary metal hardware was in place so that the new hood could be refitted onto the Rumble Bee. The hood was sent back to Mike Face to be painted glossy black over the ‘six-pack’ hood scoop and the same B-5 Blue Spectraflair Holographic Metalflake paint on the sides of the hood. A custom billet grille from Be Cool Billets was fitted to the front. A Gaylord’s California Cruising bedliner completed work on the body. The big factory brakes were removed and replaced with Stainless Steel Brakes 14in. slotted rotors and Force 10-4-piston calipers at each wheel to increase stopping power.

Inside the cabin, a set of more comfortable and supportive Katzkin butter soft leather bucket seats were installed. These seats also match the color scheme of the Rumble Bee with black suede inserts and blue leather sides. Finally, a beautiful Woodview brushed aluminum interior trim kit was installed and finishing the work at Mike Face’s shop.

It was now time to drive the Rumble Bee over to Hotchkis Performance for a lowering and strengthening of the suspension system underpinning the Ram. Hotchkis Performance is one of the best companies to call when upgrading your suspension system for better handling and performance whether it is for your car or truck, new or classic.

The Hotchkis Performance Total Vehicle System kit was specifically designed for the new Ram and includes, up front, new coil springs, custom valved Bilstein gas shocks, new bump stops and stabilizer bar. The rear kit consists of new leaf springs, custom valved Bilstein gas shocks, new bump stops and new stabilizer bar.

Before work began the Rumble Bee was fitted with 4-stunning Oasis Alloy Wheels ‘M1’ model, 5-spoke, 24X10in. chrome wheels. Big B.F. Goodrich G Force P305/35ZR24in high-performance tires wrap around the Oasis wheels and are a perfect match for the Hotchkis Performance tuned suspension.

The final stop for the Rumble Bee was Kenne Bell Superchargers to be fitted with a pair of Doug’s custom headers, Doug’s custom dual cat-back exhaust system, with dual 1971 Charger exhaust tips, a set of 16 Denso Iridium spark plugs, a more powerful Optima battery, a Kenne Bell Optimizer II electronic high-performance engine management system, a Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump, a Kenne Bell AirForce Induction system, and a 2.2liter Blowzilla twin screw Kenne Bell supercharger/intercooler that is specifically designed for the new Chrysler 5.7liter Hemi V8 engine.

Kenne Bell has a legendary reputation over the past 30+ years by offering the highest quality and very powerful billet aluminum twin-screw superchargers for your new or classic car or truck. Jim Bell told me that the Rumble Bee should be rated 500+hp with the supercharger.

The long and hard work getting the PWG 2004 Dodge Ram ‘Rumble Bee’ together is over and it is ready to take out on the road for a drive.

The acceleration is awesome, 60mph from a standstill comes in just 5sec. from the 500+hp supercharged Hemi engine. The growling sounds of the dual cat-back exhaust is music to your ears. With a Hotchkis Performance precision suspension kit and lowering, the handling is crisp and precise, just like when behind the wheel of a new BMW 740i on the open highway or slicing through curving roads. The Stainless Steel Brakes Corp. enhanced brakes bring the Rumble Bee to stop quicker with more control.

Inside you are surround by real aluminum trim and cuddled by butter soft Katzkin custom high-back bucket seats and center console both color matched to the B-5 exterior paint. You can watch the needle quickly touch redline on the big Mopar tachometer while your feet are kept busy pushing the aluminum faced pedals.

The exterior is a fantastic rendition of the original 1969 Dodge SuperBee 440 Hemi with a big 6-pack hood scoop, and the same optional B-5 paint and SuperBee graphic stripe . The rear features dual chrome fluted exhaust tips from a 1971 Dodge Charger.

The PWG Rumble Bee is destined to become a classic tuned & dressed-up pickup truck.

eautosales
11-04-2003, 10:17 PM

eautosales
11-04-2003, 10:20 PM

Tom D.
11-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Looks OK! Except the 6 pack hood scoop looks out of place. Just my .02.

Tom

eautosales
11-04-2003, 11:32 PM

Jason Huber
11-05-2003, 01:57 PM
I'm with-ya on the big Six-Pac scoop - should have used a Shaker... Gotta' love that "C" Stripe though! :cool:

GP-1
11-05-2003, 04:03 PM
How about an "air-grabber"???

Cool truck...

Tom D.
11-06-2003, 11:09 PM
GP-1,
I think your right! A Road Runner/GTX type hood would look classyer.

Tom