PDA

View Full Version : Glavanized trailer needs new look

Ranger305
11-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Is there any good way to paint a galvanized trailer?

Gordie Miller
11-02-2003, 12:44 AM
replace all the galvanized parts with clean metal ones, prime and paint. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Ranger305
11-03-2003, 07:46 AM
That's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll have to live with the galv. until it gets replaced someday.

Guess I'll spend my time looking for engine upgrades instead of freshening the trailer :D . Now if I can just find that 4bbl marine carb for a 302...(for my I/O family boat).

150aintenuff
12-23-2004, 08:01 AM
ACID wash the zinc then prime and paint it. TRACKER MARINE does it to ALL of their trailers... if you can get it POWDERCOATED it works even better.

Ranger305
12-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Good info npartin. I actually went a different route with good results. I sold the Galv. trailer to someone near salt water and rebuilt a nice older tandem axle steel trailer :-). The Galv. trailer wasn't heavy enough for my boat, but I'll file your info back for other projects.

150aintenuff
01-15-2005, 02:50 PM
the key is to get a Etching Primer that doesnt inhibit the zinks ability to corosion resistance. I would look for a primer for aluminum or other porus soft metal Also be sure to Acid ETCH or fine grit blast the zink to give primer something to adhere to.. then paint or coat ... Tracker has Patent on their conversion coating but I am sure it can be replicated with a little bit of physics and Chemestry Knowlege and a good reputble knowlegable paint distributor.

BTW the powdercoated trailers Tracker uses look Better than most Painted trailers out there so it seems to work fairly well.