PDA

View Full Version : " On Target"

thaw ripper
11-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Though built some fifteen years after the 1946 founding of the Tomahawk Boat Manufacturing Company, this craft is an interesting piece of history from that business. "ON TARGET", a one-of-a-kind prototype boat built in 1961, was designed by the firm's vice-president and general manager, Frank Winter. It was presented to the Tomahawk Historical Society in 1998 by Ed Bembinster of Wausau. In disrepair, it was restored the following year through the generous donations of Dale Wagner, who repaired the fiberglass shell, Ruthann Krueger who did the interior upholstery, and Designer Graphics completed the project with detailing.
Despite it's groundbreaking and advance publicity, "ON TARGET" never made it into production.

thaw ripper
11-01-2003, 03:16 PM
=

thaw ripper
11-01-2003, 03:24 PM
:eek:

thaw ripper
11-01-2003, 04:16 PM
Years ago the vice president and general manager of the Tomahawk Boat Mfg. Corp. in Tomahawk Wis. Franklin P. Winter, has reportedly brought an 18-year dream to reality with his design of a futuristic 18 ft two passenger speedster named "ON TARGET".
Distinguished by three point suspension with front rudder steering and a totally enclosed but position-locked motor, On Target is designed with it's initial piont at the bow and two planing points at the rear... the only way, Winter claimed, real directional and lateral stability can be assured.
"Other than an outboard motorboat", Winter, Tomahawks chief designer, elaborates, 'no mechanical contrivance is steered by an engine.
"On Target's design makes it possible to steer with a rudder, thus permitting a more level ride since the boat does not bank or act erratic, the line of thrust being always forward."
The outboard motor is hooded in the cowling out of sight. Set in the forward position and locked so it can not turn, the motor drives forward with the front rudder and gives the driver all needed directional control.
The On target, 39 in. wide initially, has a total width of 5 ft. with two planing points at the rear.The production model uses an aircraft-type control stick for steering.
Tomahawk's white hulled Arrow for 1961 offers decks in red, coral, blue, beige, green or white colors.
Carrying 20 cu ft of flotation and rated for 45 hp, it measures 15 ft. 4 in. along the gunwale and 14 1/2 ft. LOA, 65 in. at the beam, and 30 in. in depth.
Ready for water skiing, cruising, or fishing. The Arrow offers optional seating with luxurious spring cushion upholstery or back to back seating.

thaw ripper
11-01-2003, 04:58 PM
"ON TARGET'', the result of an 18 year dream by its designer, employs the same principle in three point suspension as is found in tricycle landing gears on an airplane. Contrary to three point suspension boats presently in production, "ON TARGET" the new model promises more speed, more stability, and more safety through a better balanced, better controlled three point system.

In explaining the front rudder steering, the boat firm executive, who was also Tomahawk's chief designer, said that when a driver steers his automobile, he steers with the front wheels and not the engine. The same holds true in flying an airplane. Steering is accomplished with a rudder, not with the engine.
"Thers is no know mechanical cotrivance, other than an outboard boat, that is steered by and engine," Winter explained.
Because of the futuistic design of "ON TARGET", the outboard motor is hooded in the cowling, or main body of the boat and is not seen.
Since the outboard motor is completely enclosed, motor noise is held to a minimum because the main structure of the boat is covered with modern soundproofing materials. The motor, though not visible is accessible through a hood built into the lines of the hull structure much the same as the hood of an automobile engine.

thaw ripper
11-01-2003, 05:18 PM
ALOT OF CREDIT! Back in 1961 I was not even thought of yet.
In announcing the futuistic design of "ON TARGET", Winter called it the first real advance in engineering in modern times. A radical departure in boating, encopassing futuristic design, was unveiled at Chicago Oct. 1961 at the Marine Trades Exhibit and Conference. But never made it into production.
Boats have sure came along way since then, and you never know what tomorrow will bring, Ending it with a few more pics of it rebuilt in 1999 ~tr~:)

thaw ripper
11-01-2003, 05:21 PM
:)

thaw ripper
11-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Pretty sure not the original motor, got to love them OLD OMCs :D

thaw ripper
11-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Just gotta keep rebuilding them!:cool:

thaw ripper
11-01-2003, 05:31 PM
When Brother K-man and myself saw this boat for the first time. :eek: very cool!:cool:

Balzy
11-02-2003, 08:17 AM
Did I miss something in your posts or you know where it is now a days?

stvhelm
11-02-2003, 08:46 AM
kinda resembles a mirage 1/4 master. bolt on a drag and put it to the test:D

thaw ripper
11-02-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Balzy
Did I miss something in your posts or you know where it is now a days?

The Tomahawk, Wi. Historical Society now has it. ~tr~

bulldogdaddy
11-02-2003, 04:45 PM
talk about some history!great job on the research thaw. or should i say rearsearch after seeing your new avitar,lol

baja200merk
11-02-2003, 05:24 PM
hey ripper
take the crossflow off the vector get a nice shoe horn and mount it lol!!

i thought that thing was a plane!

baja200merk
11-02-2003, 09:41 PM
haha then it ll b the fastest vector i cant believe that thing aint goin man!!

outboards4life
11-03-2003, 02:23 AM
stvhelm- kinda resembles a mirage 1/4 master. bolt on a drag and put it to the test

I was thinking the exact same thing

thaw ripper
11-04-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by outboards4life
stvhelm- kinda resembles a mirage 1/4 master. bolt on a drag and put it to the test

I was thinking the exact same thing

thaw ripper
01-10-2004, 03:54 AM
Old History Boat.