PDA

View Full Version : MERC 200 AIR BOX QUESTION

popeyebob
05-01-2001, 06:50 PM
I have a basicly stock 1989 200hp mercury.I want to put louvers in the cowl. What I need to know is,on the stock air box,there are these plastic "organ pipes" screwed to the back side.They would be easy to remove,and then the openings in the air box would line up with the louvers.Will this cause me any problems? I have been advised that any air box mod's will screw up the mixture,causing lean midrainge,hot w.o.t.setting's.I dont intend to remove the box,just the "organ pipes".They are about 1" inside diameter,and about 3"long.The top and bottom "pipes" are a bit shorter.There are about 6 per side.Are they tuners of some sort? Or just noise reduction? Any sugestions?

TD
05-01-2001, 10:53 PM
Just added weight as far as I can see. Haven't used em in years. I doubt if removing them does anything harmful.
Ron

jimmyb
05-02-2001, 07:10 AM
they might provide some minimal tuning to the engine, but I doubt if you will notice any difference. I took mine off my old motor cause it made changing jets much easier...

if you remove yours, you will probably notice that there is more intake noise (which aint all bad! :) )

check88
05-02-2001, 10:28 AM
chuck the airbox in the trash and throw on a set of bobs velocity stacks.they probably don't make it any faster but they do look cool when you pop your engine cover off.i have the exact same motor and i've been runnin mine like this for years with no probs.