PDA

View Full Version : New old Racer

offshoremerc
10-24-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm interested in getting back into the racing side of things. Played around with it back in the early 90's in VA and NC with a light weight V-king hull and 2.4 BP power. Enjoyed every minute of it but wasn't competitive except at the local hangouts where the pickings were easy. I had too many distractions at the time mainly lack of money.

I've checked out all the info at the ODBA pages and was wondering what all of ya'll think would be a good engine & hull combination to start out with.

I'm pretty well versed in v-bottom and mod-vp hull driving at speeds approaching the high 80's but am interested in picking up a tunnel style boat.

Also if anyone has a full tilt rig that would work I might be interested.

Tom

W. Tripp
10-24-2003, 02:27 PM
The ODBA style of racing is alway interested in new members. The class you start in has a lot to do with the budget and/or boat you may already own.

Lakeracer and Sport Racer are great classes to get a feel for the sport and to learn about staging in the lights. For those who have a good running lake boat, these two classes are a fun way to start.

Super Stock is another great class, but the reaction at the lights in this class is 99% of a winning pass. Racers that start in this class generally are TOUGH when they move up to other classes.

Pro Carb is for those who have a gift for tuning carburetors on modified engines.

Modified Production is fun if you like to modify OEM engine components.

Pro Gas is for those who like to be able to modify their engine in any way possible.

Pro Fuel is Pro Gas while running mixed fuels.

Unlimited is Pro Gas with a nitrous bottle.

Keep an eye out for used and well set up boats that are for sale. Dr. Wolf's 2001 Allison is for sale - a championship winning combination ready to run. Trent Blocker just bought a new boat, and is selling the STV that won Modified Production at Jasper. This boat is rigged with complete fuel system, guages, and trim system with computer - just add your own engine. I will be selling my red Triad DR-20 this winter AFTER I get my new Triad.

If I can help in any way, let me know.

offshoremerc
10-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks a lot for the explanation. I can't wait to come across the right set up. I've been running the bigger stuff lately but I'll know what I want when I see it.

Tom

Jay2002
10-25-2003, 09:04 PM
I've got an Allison bass boat. Not a tunnel, but a competitive rig on it's own. It was raced for a year and a half in the ODBA. Jay Smith.

offshoremerc
10-25-2003, 09:41 PM
What kind of $ are you looking for and what is the set-up on the boat?

I really would like to run a tunnel. I have an Aerospace background and have some ideas on working with that but still would entertain a good deal.

Tom

Jay2002
10-25-2003, 10:03 PM
I just found my post in the 20' and under listing about 5 pages back and brought it to the top. I ran a super stock power head on it at 1625#. My # is on the post, if you are interested, give me a call. Thanks, Jay.

BLACKBIRD
11-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Are you interested in drags or circle course???

tabararacing
11-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Go SST 120 racing. Great competition, great bang for the buck, and its CIRCLE. Races throughout the country, go to Champboatracing.com, or aprsuperleague.com for more info. Sounds like the perfect class for you.
Brian

Raceman
11-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Take a look at this one:

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46265

tabararacing
11-18-2003, 02:16 AM
Thats a helluva competitive boat. For what you get, price looks very good to me...

spn#43
11-18-2003, 07:04 AM
:D Hey.you can get older F1 boat (very cheap) and come racing Mod-U's with us in Region 5.
Great fun; friendship and close to you.
If you need any info or help please feel free to e-mail me at page@f1racer.com :) :) :)

tabararacing
11-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Is that older boat the one you had at Kankakee? If so, a few of us have bets on who made it. Who made it?

offshoremerc
11-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Ya'll are whetting my appetite! I'm still looking.

I'm thinking drags but have interest in circle also. Thanks for the responses. We'll figure out what we want to do this Winter I'm sure. Sorry I've been out of touch but business has been good and I've been working 80-90 hours a week right now.

Tom

spn#43
11-18-2003, 06:58 PM
:D :D :D ..LoL...LoL...LoL...Yeah I know it's an eye catcher (ugly)...LoL...and BTW that's my brother's boat (SPN#44) mine is Hoffman (SPN#43) look at avitar.
OK let me hear guesses, and I can bet that you all wrong.:D :D :) :) :p

Trikki1010
11-19-2003, 06:34 AM
Cool thread guys, thanks for jump startin my heart :-)

tabararacing
11-19-2003, 03:17 PM
I heard everything from a Lee, Veldon, to a flyer. Someother people had off the wall guesses i had no idea. Comon what is that thing?
Brian

spn#43
11-19-2003, 05:50 PM
:D Ok it's build by John Nichols from FL he used to drive Formula 1 in IOGP days and it's actually really, really fast boat down the straight, but not that great of the beach and in the turns.
So it's a Nichols boat and you were all wrong...LoL :p ;) :D ...LoL...

stang
03-03-2004, 08:42 PM
if you still talk to John ask him what he use to spray on the bottoms of the boats for clear he told me one time but it was back in 1986 slept way to many times and forgot, and the boat is an Veldon copy built by john Nichols use to be blue and white, He fixed my Barracuda before I got it that Steve Kerton crashed he is Dam good wood worker also. but the clear he use to use was killer stuff hard as hell dident chip and lasted forever Thanks Jim S.

spn#43
03-03-2004, 08:56 PM
No, I actually never met John. :( :(
If you know history of this boat I would love to hear it.:) :)
Thanks
Page

stang
03-03-2004, 09:02 PM
your going to be in FL for the race on march 20 21 ? I will bring you pics of the boat when John use to race it, I have quite afew of them, and your right that boat was fast and john was a dam good driver and a real nice guy also Jim S.

spn#43
03-03-2004, 09:40 PM
That sounds great,:) :) looking forward to meeting you at the race.
Page

Racemore
03-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Don't know if you are still interested but they will be running some drag races here in florida that would be perfect for your boat if you still have it.It is a Hydrostream type class and 2.4 get the weight break.It is for the old vees and will be a fun class.:cool: