PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me

fastboat
10-16-2003, 10:15 AM
why, when I open a video in Windows media player, it is really jerky and seems to jump from frame to frame without playing smoothly?

WharfRat
10-16-2003, 12:05 PM
there are quite a few variables on this, what kind of video card are you running, what are your video setting & hardware acceleration, are you playing it directly online or from your hard drive ???

fastboat
10-16-2003, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure about the video card, but I don't think that's the problem since Realone Player seems to work fine. Media Player has this problem, whether the video is on my hard drive or is coming from on line. I have my hard ware acceleration set at max.

WharfRat
10-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Hey Wayne, right click on your "my computer" icon & click on properties, then click on the hardware tab, then click on the "device manager" button. Once there, click on "display adapters, then right click & go to properties, click on the driver tab & check the date of the driver. Also, go to the windows update sight & make sure you have the latest version (9b I believe) THis is important due to there is a security flaw in the 9a version. Let me know & I'll check back with ya

Scott

fastboat
10-16-2003, 02:18 PM
The driver is the SiS 530 and the date is 2-2-2000.
I clicked on "update driver" and got a message that I am running the best driver for this system. I am running the latest version of the Player.

WharfRat
10-16-2003, 02:45 PM
what version of windows are you running ?SiS drivers (http://download.sis.com/sisdlc/driver_list.jsp)

here's a link to the SiS driver downloads for your graphics

fastboat
10-16-2003, 03:56 PM
I am running Windows 98 SE. I downloaded a driver update (at least I think I did-not a computer whiz), and that didn't help. The sound seems to run fine, the video just doesn't keep up.

LaserModVee
10-16-2003, 04:01 PM
In your Windows Media player go to "Tools" at the top menu bar.
Find "options" at the bottom of that drop down window.
There will be another window that has a series of labeled tabs at the top, find "Performance", open it.
There should be a slider bar at the bottom of this window, it says "video acceleration". Slide it all the way to the left, (no acceleration.

This may help.
If not, I have other ideas.

fastboat
10-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Brian,
I made the change and it didn't matter.

LaserModVee
10-17-2003, 07:02 AM
I'm no expert, but have had Windows Media player problems in the past...

Does it do this on all videos?
Are you running any other programs while watching video?
What version of the player do you have?
Does it happen on all types of videos, i.e., .mpg, .wmv, .avi?

Here's a link to the Microsoft support page~ http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;wmp

WharfRat
10-17-2003, 07:38 AM
also when WMP is open, click on help, then check for upgrades to be sure it's the latest. When you updated did you go back & check the date of the driver to verify that it updated it ?

fastboat
10-17-2003, 08:19 AM
I got a new date on the driver, but it is only slightly newer than the other one (7-8-2000). I deleted WMP and downloaded version 9 again. I have the same problem on all videos. I am using the Marty Logan launch from Jasper as the test. You can hear the motor take off, but the boat just sits there on the screen.

WharfRat
10-17-2003, 08:28 AM
Wayne, is your video onboard or an actual video card ?
How old is it as well ?

fastboat
10-17-2003, 08:35 AM
Heck, I don't know. I have an IBM Aptiva, and it came with everything already included. I think I bought it in 2000.

fastboat
10-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Oh, by the way, I think this all started when I down loaded version 9. Maybe I should delete it and download an older version.

sho305
10-17-2003, 08:48 AM
I had an older machine that if I full screened the video it would get funny, so I knew it was my machine video system and not the player. Little window it would work ok.

fastboat
10-17-2003, 08:56 AM
Reduced the video to 50%. Didn't help. What a pain in the butt!

sho305
10-17-2003, 09:05 AM
I don't remember if w98 has a performance monitor you can check. Sounds like the player is not working right. Mine will do that if I try to start in the middle of a video, the sound will go and no pic on w2k. But w2k is not so good with video due to the stupid single irq it uses. Not wanting to re install for the 5th time and hassle getting rid of it, I just boot w98 then. Does the drive run when you do this?

fastboat
10-17-2003, 09:21 AM
Not sure I understand, but I am running W98.

WharfRat
10-17-2003, 10:49 AM
well, you're probably due for an upgrade.........:D

as far as the video, where does the monitor hook up on the back of the system ?
In a slot or next to all your other connections ?

Gerben
10-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Hi,

SIS driver, I'm pretty sure thats for onboard video system.
Meaning it's slow.

What computer do you have? Speed/memory?
Older machines (like mine) don't seem able to keep up with the latest software.

Also how many programs are you runnning. Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL once (only once! or it will reboot the thing) and see how many programs are listed. VPTRAY, SYSTRAY, EXPlorer are there, but how many more?

Hey no expert here, but let the blind help the lame :D

Gerben

fastboat
10-17-2003, 04:45 PM
Guys,
I've got to give up on this for tonight, but keep the ideas coming. Thanks for all your replies, and I will get back on the problem tomorrow. Gerben, I just told my wife that I am getting answers from the Netherlands. Great world we live in, ain't it ;) .

fastboat
10-18-2003, 08:28 AM
I went back to the Media Player that was originally installed with Windows 98, and it works just fine. Guess, like me, my computer is just too damn old:D . Thanks to everyone for their help.

WharfRat
10-18-2003, 09:19 AM
that makes sense, glad ya got it working again, let me know if you need any advice when you decide to upgrade, Hell, I can even build you one but it would be cheaper to buy one locally probably

Scott

fastboat
10-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks, again to all.

83checkmateeluder
10-22-2003, 05:48 PM
i would definatly get the older version. the new one is made to run with a larger amount of ram as is all the xp stuff

sho305
10-23-2003, 09:20 AM
I just put some software on a laptop, I don't see many of those. It is a cheaper 2gig cpu one with xp. It seems quite slow, and takes a while to pull up menus and start programs. I was surprised but didn't know if it was the laptop or xp. I've only messed with a couple of xp machines but they were not quite as slow; yet they had better components than a laptop too. I turned off all the fading menu junk and checked performance settings, but it was still pretty slow....reminded me of my old 486-50 running Win95 before the 133 chip. I just don't see any excuse for it; they have to make it that way on purpose for just a menu to be slow. It should be up before I get done clicking @2ghz.

WharfRat
10-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Hey Sho, go to the my computer icon & right click on it, then propterties, then the advanced tab. Click on the performance button, put a dot in the best performance circle & see how it runs
(not to mention it will look just like W2K):eek:

sho305
10-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Thanks I'll try it and see. I have W2K and it seems ok but for the cascaded irq trashing games. My brother hates his xp.