PDA

View Full Version : WIPERS Don't work??

AnthonySS
10-07-2003, 08:14 AM
OK guys ...let me see if I can pick your brains some.

My old steel horse is starting to show her age. (1991 K1500 x-cab, 5.7)

My PULSE wipers have been giving me some heartache over the past year. They work sometimes and other times NOT.

When they don't work they make that "buzzy" nose like they are trying to work.

We'll seems like they finally "crapped" and now they just buzz when I try to use them.

My tech (airpacker) says he cannot diagnose till they don't finally work...So I guess now is the time.

Any tips guys cause I can't get into to see him just yet?

Also what's that stuff guys put on the windshield to repell the rain...does it really work and are ther any better brands to buy?

As always any feedback is appreciated THANKS

Here is the Truck

ShorePounder
10-07-2003, 08:22 AM
First guess without any more info than you posted would be the wiper motor. The hum your hearing could very well be the motor under load.

The product you're thinking of is Rain-X, and it works rather well.

AnthonySS
10-07-2003, 08:25 AM
THANKS Pounder...

RAIN_X...yeah that's it ...!apprarently a good product to put on the helmet eye shield too

msc5195
10-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Been there done that, TWICE! From 88 to late the 90's Chevy/GMC were notorious for the wiper relay going bad. Today they work tomorrow the dont. There was even a recall on some models for this problem. I have had to replace 2 of them. 1 on an 88 silverado and 1 on a 95 Seirra. It is a circuit board that is located in the motor itself. Remove black cover and relay will unplug. Very easy to replace. Note: On the 88 that I had to replace entire wiper motor due to GM design change. You should be able to call your local Chevrolet parts dept and they will know exactlly what you need. I hope that this will solve your problem.

Robedoll

AnthonySS
10-07-2003, 08:37 AM
ROB...

Cool that sounds like it would be worth a try and better yet something I can do myself.

skidoo29
10-07-2003, 09:09 AM
Anthony

I use the washer fluid with rain-x in it, and it works amazing, its good to -40c and it cleans the bugs pretty good too, you can buy at canadian tire

warren

CDave
10-07-2003, 09:39 AM
My 95 K1500 did the same thing. It was the wiper motor.

GMC just sent me a recall notice on it....1 yr after I had to replace it. :rolleyes:

Raceman
10-07-2003, 02:15 PM
I've had the same problem with a 99 GMC Denali and a 2000 GMC p/u. We've also had it happen on several of our Chevy/GMC vans in the company fleet. Any parts guy at any Chevy or GMC store can tell you exactly what you need because they probably do it several times a day. Just like the crap GM intake gaskets that always start leaking at 50K miles or less, it seems like after the problem goes on for years and years they'd fix it.

AnthonySS
10-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Guys...

There is no RELAY listed for the wipers on my 1991...just a module

part number is 1-12463090

Does this sound like what you guys are telling me??

THANKS

msc5195
10-08-2003, 09:41 AM
That is it. I just checked with our local Chevrolet dealership and it sells for 55.00 here locally.

AnthonySS
10-08-2003, 09:53 AM
YEP...THANKS MSC

That's it ...61 bucks here in Canada plus GM discount thru my pal.

I just went out to my truck and "wacked" on the plastic cover and they worked again. I think that's a good indicator that the module needs replacing.

...I'll do just that...THANKS again guys:)

I'll let you know how it turns out!!

sho305
10-08-2003, 10:20 AM
I learned one thing about wipers on many cars, check the grounds first. Many times the ground was bad, or bad connection is all. Turn them on and tighten the ground/wiggle the wires etc to check that. Of course, with that problem it acts up worse when it is wet, when you need them...:rolleyes: Then start buying parts after that check. Seems they like to rubber mount the motors for noise control on many cars, then the little ground pukes.

AnthonySS
10-08-2003, 10:24 AM
THANKS SHO:)

sho305
10-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Another good way is to short the body to ground with a alligator test wire/wrench/test light/etc. I've had a couple that I tightened the ground strap and no go, but that was it and had to remove and sand it to work. Always a good time for more dialectric grease on stuff there. Or it was the plug corroded, and usually can just plug/unplug it a bunch of times to test. Most modern sealed plugs don't do that now.

Yeah, the Rain-x wiper juice is the ticket. Passengers sometimes wonder why you are squirting the window when it is raining;)

AnthonySS
10-14-2003, 09:46 AM
Wiper Module has been replaced and SO Far Wipers are good. They even dound like they got a New Motor installed.

The Module Kit comes with a

New Plastic Cover and New Fasteners.

Interesting the Replacement kit says to remove old sealant from casing and install new sealant.

Well the old casing had NO sealant...

So maybe that is the culprit and unsealed module that allows moisture to get in over time??

THANKS again for the help....

sho305
10-14-2003, 10:41 AM
Glad you got it fixed. I had a grand am once that the wipers would not stop when it rained hard. Maybe that was the deal with it. The dealer could not fix it/duplicate it, or so they said but it didn't do it anymore after I took it in. It was 2 yrs old.

clydecleinmark
10-21-2003, 02:27 PM
Wipers on my 95 truck were doing the sometimes work and sometimes don't routine. I had the hum also. Just got my recall notice so I lucked out. Funny tale about RainX. A buddy bought a 59 Morgan convertible up in New York a couple of years ago. Was driving back to Cicago and got caught in a long stretch of rain. British wipers being what they are (crap), he finally stopped and bought some RainX. The problem then became the rain rolling up to the top of the winshield and into the car between the windshield frame and the convertible top seal (works about as good as the wipers). He almost just put the topdown. The RainX worked good. Nothing else did. I'm sure you've all heard that Joseph Lucas, the father of british auto and motorcycle electrics, is referred to as the Prince of Darkness. He also was quoted as saying," Proper gentlemen should not motor about after dark or in the rain anyway."

AnthonySS
10-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Yes I got one of those recall notices too...but it was for my Wife's 96 Jimmy Wipers