PDA

View Full Version : How much HP increase

WaterBoy
04-30-2001, 11:45 PM
Ok, this is the deal, My wife is having second thoughts on selling our boat. Ok, but I want faster, I have a 94 2.5 Offshore (carb.). How much of an increase would I see if I convert to EFI. I also hear there is alot of aluminum in the motor. How much increase would I see if I gutted out the exhaust and intake openings. I already have heads.

Waterboy

P.S. This motor also can turn a 26p at around 9100 rpms if that helps, maybe alittle more, but kinda afraid of the trim at that speed.

Jay Smith
05-01-2001, 07:28 AM
Waterboy,
" Hogging" out a motor will slow you down if you don't know where and how much to cut. This is not a bigger is better project and if you go after it with that thought you'll be sorry.I've seen it happen time and time again. Choose a proven motor builder that has winners out of his shop and the rep. for thier motors LIVING !

Jay @ JSRE ( Jay Smith Racing Engines )
1 281 576 5088 cst

WaterBoy
05-01-2001, 10:06 PM
About how much would it cost to do it. How much gain would I get. I wasn't planning on doing it myself, because I probably couldn't get it back together LOL. Would a EFI be better. I've had it at 98.7 on gps so far. Any info. would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks, Waterboy

Techno
05-01-2001, 10:31 PM
One way to go faster is to tune the rig as it is now. Unless you've already done this. A lot can be done without spending anything. and some can be done with your own sweat, like blueprinting the bottom.

WaterBoy
05-01-2001, 10:50 PM
Okay, I've heard of it, but don't really know what it is. (Blueprinting bottom) What stuff should I look for to tune? What can you do that doesn't cost anything? (curious) Also, the boat is a mirageskiracer, Maybe can just talk wifey to sell it. I really want a riverrocket or something faster. My boat weights around 600 to 650lbs from what I've been told. I just know it is real thin on the top. Any help would be appreciated Thanks,

Waterboy

Techno
05-01-2001, 11:24 PM
Not too much costs nothing. finding the best setback so you aren't running any trim. Well that probably costs. finding the best jack height and trim doesn't though. Wet sanding the bottom and lower unit with 400 grit or was it 600 grit, Don't wax it. Running with almost no weight (little gas, maybe no wife (or husband)). Moving things to the back if they aren't already there. Get rid of all the crap that finds it's way on the boat that you never use. Finding the right prop could be free if you can test someone elses then buy that type or that prop. Observing the boat at speed on tape to see if your maximizing the set up. Going down hill is worth a lot of MPH depending on the slope.
A shot of N2O might be worth the cost. Maybe a tuneup. Getting the prop checked for balance maybe for blade pitch(sometimes the blades aren't the same).

Blueinting is making everything on the bottom straight and flat( unless the designer didn't want them flat). Make the edges sharp especialy at the transom to hull.
If I remember right 40 HP for 2 MPH. Your almost over the triple mark. You might be able to get your heads shaved and run on premium I don't know how much that would give though.
Give one of the builders a call and see what they could do for what you want to spend. Mild to wild.
Probably the biggest problem though is how fast are you going to be happy at. Eventually you'll want to go faster.
I think the boats are roughly the same. Some people say the mirage is better. I think the OB is the biggest element in the quest for speed when things are close. It also cost more than the boat Kind of. You could end up with a faster boat with a slower motor.

Techno
05-02-2001, 02:44 PM
The best one for free I think. Flip up the speedo pick-up or remove it. A few people have said it's good for 3 MPH at 100 mph. If you do this post back, I'm interested what this one little thing does to improve speed.

WaterBoy
05-02-2001, 10:24 PM
I don't run a speedo, I always carry a gps. It doesn't lie, I don't think. Which if this guy comes up with the money, it will be sold anyway. No matter what wifey says. HEHE. I want a boat like the one on (the boat of the month) Thats what I want. One very simular to that one.