PDA

View Full Version : Painting helmets

Techno
10-02-2003, 07:17 PM
I emailed shoei about painting my helmet. Heard to never paint or put stickers on or clean with stuff like gasoline so asked the makers.

A helmet can be painted but we recommend using any type of Arcrylic based paint

Maybe some chromalusion scales to match the boat?

Stoker100
10-03-2003, 12:11 AM
http://www.screwydesigns.com/home.htm

Gordie Miller
10-03-2003, 08:02 AM
and you'd better not remove that mattress tag or rebroadcast that baseball game either. Hit with some 320 and spray away!

biggercb
10-03-2003, 08:09 AM
Just take a look at some of the helmets that Troy Lee Designs paints for pro MXers.

www.troyleedesigns.com

stvhelm
10-03-2003, 08:34 AM
apparently you are making it flamable by painting or adding stickers to it. if your involved in a fire your head could burn. in our sport I really dont think thats an issue.

Techno
10-03-2003, 11:17 PM
This is a real concern. Put the wrong kind of chemical on your helmet and it can change the properties of the plastic. Hit your head and that plastic don't do what it's supposed to do.

Something else people forget is once a helmet has been "used" it's no longer any good. It's done it's job by collapsing internaly to reduce the impact. The liner has a lot to do with the energy absorbtion and crushes to do it like a modern car.
I use the word modern since no car I have ever owned crushes, unless it's the other car:D

Gordie Miller
10-04-2003, 08:19 AM
if spraypaint is having a detrimental effect on your brainbucket, you need to buy a better brainbucket. I do know virtually all the top race car drivers, F1, NWC, CART, NHRA, IRL, etc. have bad ass paint schemes on theirs.

BarryStrawn
10-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Snell requires a solvent treatment as part of their tests so I wouldn't worry too much about the reducers or thinners in paint. Just scuff the factory finish and go to it.

As far the fire hazard - If your cockpit gets hot enough to ignite cured paint you probably have more immediate problems.

tabararacing
12-28-2003, 01:31 AM
WARPAINTER.com . (LlamaFeeder) He did my helmet, his price is right, and he's a BIG supporter of boat racing.
BT